Sponsored Links

Could this be FTTP rollout?

Vim Fuego

Casual Member
My area doesn't show FTTP as a service, but there is alot of activity going on. The pole outside my house has recently had this fitted.

Anyone know what it is? And if this is good news for getting FTTP sometime soon? (Working from home for good now, so fast relaible broadband would be nice..)

PXL_20210916_183404740-picsay.jpg

Sponsored Links
To me that looks like a TM Small Node for full fibre connectivity, but whether they're using it for an FTTP build, FTTP on Demand or to support a private leased line is harder to judge. But generally you would install one of these in an FTTP setup.

Could be a track joint, i.e. joins two fibre cables together. It could connect overhead cable to underground cable, or overhead to overhead. It doesn't necessarily mean that there will be FTTP to you - it could just be on its way to somewhere else.

Sponsored Links
In my area the places where FTTP has been rolled out, the telegraph poles that are closest to a house or houses have these attached to them.

They've just been rolling out fibre along our (very rural) lane and we now have these on several poles.

As mentioned above, these are the fibre-to-fibre junction boxes to connect two separate cables.

The poles nearest the houses should then have a final junction box into which BT would link when connecting up individual houses.

Note that this happened about 3 weeks ago and our exchange is still not showing FTTP available and it may be weeks (or even months??) before it does. I guess there's plenty more "upstream" connections to be completed.

Ours have had the 'final junction box' as you've called it on our poles for over 3 months now. Despite talking with an openreach engineer that our area is done: it's still not enabled. There's clearly more that goes on in a build behind the scenes before things can be activated. I've read reports online of people waiting upwards of a year.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules