Sponsored Links

Couple of Forum Changes

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Just a quick note to say that I've recently made a couple of server side changes, which after much prep work seem to have gone without a hitch. But do let me know if any bugs crop-up on the forum over the next day or so, as I can always revert.

The main changes are:

1. Upgraded from PHP7.4 to PHP8 - this actually occurred a month ago, so I doubt any issues would be as a result of this, as I've crushed all the initial or obvious bugs.

2. Moved the forum database from MySQL 5.7 to MariaDB 10.5 - this is the main change that occurred this morning. But as both frameworks are effectively drop-in changes, then there shouldn't be any problems.

I adopted MariaDB 10.5 as it's easy to do, the forum software is fully compatible, and we benefit from a nice little performance improvement.

Sponsored Links
Gave attachments a small boost.
Ohh, nice! At last no more potato quality or transient imgur urls!

What's the limit now though? I could upload 5MB (jpg only, won't allow png larger than 120KB) which is great, tried with 10MB but it mumbled something about it being bigger than "120KB", clearly some bug.

Thanks

I also noticed an issue when I upload images, well copy & paste images. It shows fine, then a few hours later you get some garbled text that looks a bit like base64 encoding.

It would be cool to add some more categories really. I quite like the people on the forum, we seem to be smart and polite which seems like a bit of a rare mixture on the t'internet.

Need any moderators ? :)

Ohh, nice! At last no more potato quality or transient imgur urls!

What's the limit now though? I could upload 5MB (jpg only, won't allow png larger than 120KB) which is great, tried with 10MB but it mumbled something about it being bigger than "120KB", clearly some bug.

Thanks
The forum will now compress to 200KB (up from 150KB) before, which is similar to the limit that I place on images for news articles in order to keep loading times under control for those on slower connections and to limit penalisation by Google's search algorithm.

JPG is generally the best format, as PNGs are problematic and don't compress well on complex images.

I also noticed an issue when I upload images, well copy & paste images. It shows fine, then a few hours later you get some garbled text that looks a bit like base64 encoding.

It would be cool to add some more categories really. I quite like the people on the forum, we seem to be smart and polite which seems like a bit of a rare mixture on the t'internet.

Need any moderators ? :)

A screenshot of that bug would help and some details about the image that was uploaded? It seems odd that it should upload and display fine, only to go wonky a few hours later when nothing will have changed (does that occur across multiple browsers?).

Feel free to suggest something if you'd like to see a new forum category added :).

Sponsored Links
If I attach a 5MB jpg file (see attached) it seems to work fine.
If I ctrl+v the same 5MB photo on in the compose window, then it says the file is too large and that the current limit is 120KB (see also attached).

Attachments

• Large-Sample-Image-download-for-Testing.jpg
    Large-Sample-Image-download-for-Testing.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Selection_068.jpg
    Selection_068.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 79
If I attach a 5MB jpg file (see attached) it seems to work fine.
If I ctrl+v the same 5MB photo on in the compose window, then it says the file is too large and that the current limit is 120KB (see also attached).
Ah, ok, I finally get it, it turned my "attached" 5MB file into a 50 KB potato basically..
Still, it should have the same behaviour when I ctrl+v the file, instead of giving out that error.

Hmm this goes a bit beyond my understanding of how XenForo works. I know with images you can have all sorts of awkward problems that occur when the system automatically resizes them (e.g. if you make the dimensions of a PNG smaller, then it can actually increase the file size.. stuff like that). But I'm not sure why it's still telling you there's a 120KB limit, when it was actually 150KB before and just got boosted to 200KB.

If you logout and login on a different web browser, does the same thing happen? I'm also wondering if it's putting some of the forum's generic settings into a browser cache or cookie in order to save processing time.

@Mark.J indeed it was the cookie.
I logged in from a private browsing instance and I could also ctrl+v the same 5MB jpg file (it also got shrinked to 50 KB).

For PNGs it still gives an error about the 120 KB limit instead of just accepting the file and shrinking.. oh well.

All good I guess. :D

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Sky Broadband UK ISP Logo
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5443)
  2. BT (3497)
  3. Politics (2513)
  4. Openreach (2285)
  5. Business (2242)
  6. Building Digital UK (2226)
  7. FTTC (2040)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1954)
  9. Statistics (1770)
  10. 4G (1648)
  11. Virgin Media (1603)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1446)
  13. Wireless Internet (1384)
  14. Fibre Optic (1384)
  15. FTTH (1380)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules