Sponsored

CrapuphoneyWhoeson

Weatherlawyer

ULTIMATE Member
25th April 2008.

About quarter of an hour ago (4 am-ish) while I was writing to a site online AOL just upgrades me without warning.

I don't know if I am subject to intense scrutiny in this security conscious age or just being gutted for advertising purposes.

Or capped or what?

Any ideas? I am very edgy about it. I wouldn't have thought anything about it prior to this Phorm thing but these days.....Oooer.

The connection just failed again. I had to close the computer just now and probably have to do so again. The warning notice advises me to contact the help site. It doesn't say how. No phone number or anything.

Attempt 1) [AOL] The computer could not get an Internet connection. (Error: 47-AC-3100 0x84008503)

I don't know how to contact or who to contact.

I presume they are off for the night whoever they are. AOL would be. I don't have a call number for CPW.. It's quarter to 5 gone...

I want my MAC code and I doin't know how to get that either.

Options.

I have a spare/unused land line in the flat, so I can get BT <spit> to give me a new line and let CPW go hang with the one I am using now.

I have a major bug with the computer. It was acting oddly last night.

Am i being paranoid? Is there no money in the bank to cover expenses? What else am I not seeing?

I updated the security and did a couple of scans. I should close down and do them all in Safe mode. Pity about SpyBot and SmitFraud Fix being unavailable. (I was getting a problem reloading Flash after clicking the wrong button in S&D a few days ago, so I closed it and must have deleted it. I suppose I have the exe files somewhere?)

Go over what happened and see if I recall anything stupid I may have done besides register with a Chinese forum a few days ago. ****! That was stupid!!!!!!

I switched on about 03:00 - 03:30 and then I was working my way through the scanners and came to the defrag icon. So I took a look at the state of things.
Like you do when you should be in bed.

It didn't need a defrag so I thought it wouldn't hurt to get one then. So I was still online and gave it a defrag. How much more stupid can I be at 4 am? And I am out of tea bags!!!

****! ****! ****! ****! ****! ****! ****! ****! ****! ****! ****! ****! ****! ****! ****! ****! ****! ****! ****! ****! ****! ****! ****! ****!

It'll take me half an hour to walk to Tescos but I can check my bank details while there. ****! ****! ****!

I want tea and I don't even have coffee. Drinking chocolate is cloying my throat and I want my mammy. ****! ****! ****!

What the ******* hell were they ******* playing at telling me I needed to ******* upgrade at that ******* time of the ******* night! The *****!!

I hope it's their fault.

****!

I hope I can get online somewhere before I calm down. I want to post this ******* rant before I have a chance to cool down.

I found my phone bill and CPWhorehouse inc has a freephone number if I want to change to their free broadband.

Maybe they will give me a phone number to contact. Or my MAC code? Fat chance I bet.

Give it a bell.

You will immediately see why the cast of HHGTTG wasted no time in getting irate with the droids on the set. And that book was written in the days when hitch hiking was still a not uncommon occupation. A life time ago for the writer and it seems like a lifetime ago that I frst saw the book.

I was very definitely another person back then.

OH ****, I have calmed down.

Weatherlawyer

ULTIMATE Member
I had calmed down again but their oh so crapful crapline gave me such a line of bull that I went away and started fuming again.

I have had on and off service all day. The error message says switch off for 30 seconds. What they mean is switch off until your mean-time has dropped back under the cap limit and we will let you boil until you simmer down again.

They tried to tell me I had a Virus. If I do it's called AOL.

When I joined AOL I was given free help and it was fantastic. So I stayed with them despite wanting to use Linux.

OK we will see what happens next before getting my MAC code. Which they said takes 5 days to generate. I thought it should only take 2?

Offline no-one can hear you screaming at your damned computer except all the neighbours.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
What did they upgrade you to?

Weatherlawyer

ULTIMATE Member
What did they upgrade you to?
Ooh!

Never thought to look. Back in a mo.

3622:358

I think that's bettere but I can't remember by how much. The 358 bit isn't vast but I seem to recall the 3622 was more like 1990.

I was still getting disconnects and am still having trouble connecting. I had to give it two goes just now.

I think they gave themselves a major foot-shot with Phorm.

Previously I'd have thought myself responsible, no question. But with all this bad publicity...

I don't trust them an inch.

They asked me to sign up for a free wireless router and cheaper intro fees then sent me an e-mail to say this wasn't possible as I wasn't on a BT line. NO I am with TALK TALK!.

Weatherlawyer

ULTIMATE Member
Dear Mr X

Thank you for choosing AOL Talk

We are currently processing your order and will be in contact within 7 days with further details.

If you have any questions about AOL Talk in the meantime, please visit AOL Keyword: AOL Talk Help. Alternatively, you can contact our Member Services team on 0844 499 5555* or online at AOL Keyword: Live Help, or via email at AOLUKTechsupport@aol.com..

Once again, thank you for ordering AOL Talk.

Forgot to add that just clicking the AOL browser (I use Firefox for most things) to look at my e-mails I had my first BSOD with this computer. AOL wouldn't load and I had to shut down. Just shutting it down with Task Manager wasn't enough.

Yours sincerely,

AOL Talk Team

<Some numbers here removed>

*Calls to Member Services are charged at a flat rate of 5p per minute from BT landlines. Once AOL Talk has been activated, calls to this number will be free of charge. Calls made to Member Services using another phone line will be charged at a flat rate of 5p per minute from BT landlines. Please contact operators for charges via other networks. See AOL Keyword: Support Me for further details.
AOL Talk is provided by TPH Services Sàrl, a company registered in Luxembourg under number B122 040 with a corporate address at 65, boulevard Grande-Duchesse Charlotte L-1331 Luxembourg.

By the time I got online both these emails were waiting for me.

Dear Mr X

Thank you for your recent AOL Talk order.

On attempting to process your order, BT has notified us that it is not the provider of the line for telephone number <###########>. Unfortunately this means that we cannot complete your order for AOL Talk, as we require that you have a BT line.

If you placed an order for an AOL Internet service at the same time as your order for AOL Talk, we will continue to process this on your behalf unless we tell you otherwise. If you don't want us to do this, please call Member Services on the number below within 7 days of the date of this letter.

What you need to do
You are welcome to reorder AOL Talk. Should you wish to do so, you will first need to contact BT to change the provider of your line to BT. On doing so, we recommend that you take up their standard line rental package, which is currently BT Together Option 1. You can contact BT on 0800 800 150 to do this. Once your new BT phone line has been fully activated, you can visit AOL Keyword: AOL Talk to resubmit your order.

If you have any queries, please visit AOL Keyword: AOL Talk. Alternatively, you can contact our Member Services team on 0844 499 5555*, online at AOL Keyword: Live Help, or via email at AOLUKTechsupport@aol.com.

Yours sincerely,

AOL Talk team

<Some numbers here removed>

*Calls to Member Services are charged at a flat rate of 5p per minute from BT landlines. Once AOL Talk has been activated, calls to this number will be free of charge. Calls made to Member Services using another phone line will be charged at a flat rate of 5p per minute from BT landlines. Please contact operators for charges via other networks. See AOL Keyword: Support Me for further details.
AOL Talk is provided by TPH Services Sàrl, a company registered in Luxembourg under number B122 040 with a corporate address at 65, boulevard Grande-Duchesse Charlotte L-1331 Luxembourg.

Last edited:

Weatherlawyer

ULTIMATE Member
Shouldn't I be holding an up to date software CD from CPW?

They suggested I reinstall my AOL software. I went to Staples a year or so back and picked up a coaster. I opened it in Explorer to show the disbelievers:

AOL 9

Phone number for help:
0800 279 744

Set-up .exe: 16 March 2004
AOL 7 folder: 16 November 2005
MSIE folder: 16 November 2005
Drivers folder: 8 Feb 2006

I haven't been reassured by anything.

So I asked their Talk Talk service for a change of supplier. The lad I spoke to seemed very nervous. I wonder how long they can keep staff there. He sounded new.

(At some stage I got through to an Asian help site and I really did have trouble registering what she said. I never had trouble before. I am not racist. Previous AOL help from Asia had been quite good.)

Weatherlawyer

ULTIMATE Member
And another one at 22:30 that I have only just got online from.

I wish I had tried their pretty useless online help. The: get out of helping the customer line.

Weatherlawyer

ULTIMATE Member
I just downloaded AOL Explorer their free version of IE. Then my nVidia firewall siezed. Then AOL knocked me off line again.

And then BIG SURPRISE AOL reconnected me.

I had had to do a reboot when it kicked me off at 2 pm just now. Looks like there is something missing in the code they inserted that time.

If I had a recent disk I'd reinstall it. They aught to send me one, don't you think?

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
personally when l was with AOL l didnt touch their software with a barge pole, yeah lve been with em but l didnt trust their bad code, maybe its not so bad now but being somewhat of a pc tech lve had to fix and or been present at my friends shop many times when AOL went bad due to it editing and breaking system files it should not have touched, in perspective like l said l didnt use their software "its not needed" they only tell you it is because it allows their tech support drones to run tests on your system when tech support is required, not only that lm told it allows them to remote access in when support issues are lodged to help and l for one dont want any one l dont trust on or remoting in to my computer period, suffice to say their software causes more problems than it fixes.

Weatherlawyer

ULTIMATE Member
l didn't use their software "its not needed" they only tell you it is because it allows their tech support drones to run tests on your system when tech support is required
So how do I out them?

It is a strange concept to me that I can get online with anyone without having their software on the machine.

I know the drivers for the modem are different and even don't uninstall when AOL versions are uninstalled. But that's it. I can't imagine any more.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
when l was with them l used my own hardware....

all you need to do is use the login details <yourusername>@aol.com (<yourusername> being your screen name that you were given at registration and any other connection details that are required (passwords etc) l NEVER once installed their software and only now am l using their netgear router (which l have flashed their firmware off) because l find the wireless works better on it.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
my netgears modem... l loggin via http://192.168.0.1 enter the ADSL login details and lm away, its the same for every ISP lve been with and will prolly ever be with

Weatherlawyer

ULTIMATE Member
Not really. I'm stuck with a BT voyager modem so that's that for me. for now.

I am just not tech minded enough to consider anything better.

I uninstalled the new malware and reinstalled the old malware and although I still get cut off, at least I don't need to reboot. I got some e-mail help from India or Pakistan and that left me high and dry.

AOL used to walk us lamers through stuff. That's gone down the sewer too. Ah well such is progress I suppose.

And now having looked at the bookmarks folder I find I am shy of the bookmarks. Why the hell wasn't I told that I would be losing that service too. It never occurred to me it just happened to me instead.

I would like to hurt someone really badly. I suppose all my e-mails have been screwed too.

Last edited:

Weatherlawyer

ULTIMATE Member
to prevent losing bookmarks in the future use firefox and install the add-on foxmarks. You can then save your bookmarks to a server and resync them if you ever lose them or rebuild your system
They are saved on the desktop but they won't open without some more help. I sent myself an e-mail to Hotmail with the last lot but that's not the point is it?

It is crap-ware and it just got worse

They want me to take this malware and there is no way to stop it. Then I have to pay them to use their phone line to get help to rectify the crapware they forced on me that is t#racketeering!

Here's part of the latest "online help":

Me Hi I am on AOL 9 using XP SP2 and keep getting disconnects every few minutes since you forced me to istall a connectivity helper
The error reported is:
47-DUN-6091

Me I had this problem before and got around it by reinstalling the drivers from an old CD

John001 A warm welcome to AOL Live Help, my name is John, I may be with other members at the moment, so please let me know your name, state your query, and
What type of modem or router are you using? You can see some pictures of AOL supported hardware by visiting http://help.aol.co.uk/modem-driver-software-and-installation-guides/article/20060802092809990028

Me Hi I am on AOL 9 using XP SP2 and keep getting disconnects every few minutes since you forced me to istall a connectivity helper
The error reported is:
47-DUN-6091
I had this problem before and got around it by reinstalling the drivers from an old CD

Me BT voyager 100

John001 Okay have you tried to install the drivers again for the modem?

Me It's working

Me It's the new programme that is causing the problems

John001 If you are getting a DUN-6091 message you will need to speak with us over the phone to get the issue resolved.

Me That will take forever

John001 Can you tell me what is involved?

Me You will need to speak with over the phone so we can run through a troubleshoot with you and get the issue resolved, this issue cannot be resolved through Live Help.

Me But the phone call costs 5 p per minute and no telling how long i will be on hold

Me For further information, please call our technical support department on 844 499 5555 (8am to midnight). See http://help.aol.co.uk/article/20060802100909990002 for details of call charges. Thank you.

Me It takes 10 minutes to delete and reinstall AOL What does the error message indicate?

Me OK thanks

Me Bye

I'll be getting a questionaire about their helpfulness in a day or so. I really feel like swearing. (Mind you there is nothing new about that.)

If anyone is interested there is an online storage for bookmarks called Linkagogo http://www.linkagogo.com/

Weatherlawyer

ULTIMATE Member
724 kbps d/l, 222 u/l.

Not very good is it? It means I have to reboot. Which as I have a lot of files open...

Maybe I should just restart AOL? I have to do that with Task Manager as the programme is silted up from go. And with this blockage, painful.

After a restart:
3300 d/l, 349

Still runs like dial up with a cold. Time to restart Ffx.

That's better.

Last edited:

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
just wondering by restart do you mean the modem as well? because if you are on an ADSL MAX package the more you turn off and restart your modem the worse it will be, sadly MAX packages are varible speed so one day it could be lightning fast and others it could just crap out due to a glitch somewhere, the more one restarts makes the exchange think there is a problem somewhere hence lowers the sync speed... it isnt really clever enough by itself to work out the modem is restarting..

(please correct me someone if l have not explained properly as this deduction is somewhat based on things lve picked up and pieced together after the months lve been here reading other users posts)

back to the poster, l dont know if this is your issue however lm guessing based upon some of what you said, please forgive me if lm off however l hope its of some help :)

Weatherlawyer

ULTIMATE Member
The modem driver is from BT and separate from the AOL connection files. I can switch the AOL part off and the system tray will still show green. In fact they are so OK that a mouse-over shows a bit rate of 4800:448 -which I compared with a speed test on here at: 3605:362.

No online test has ever reached the levels BT assure me with their modem driver. I don't trust BT any further than I can get them to throw AOL.

I'm due to transfer to Crap Phoney Whorehouse itself on the 14th. I figured if I am going to be in the czjd I might as well get into the sewer.

The modem actually looks more impressive than the diddly-squat BT Voyager 100 that AOL sent me but which has done a sterling job for years.

And exploring the CD showed nothing on it older than last summer. Some of the stuff this year's.

Of course I won't find out what a tragedy I have have caused myself until I connect it all and then again I will probably be on their 5 star service list until my 30 days make your mind up time has expired.

Not looking forward to it at all. It's just that I can't afford decent service at the moment. But at least it will give me a full insight of what it must be like to have an ISP of the calibre of Tiscali.

How can it be worse than what I have now. Don't tell me... that was rhetorical. It could be like getting rid of that fairy Tory B Liar and ending up with the troll Gawdon Bragh.

Weatherlawyer

ULTIMATE Member
The saga continues

I just read this old mail stored on AOl's servers. About the time of the switch over I was having one hell of a time that I put down to my fault or a virus. It turned out to be the new software but of course I can't prove it.

"Dear you,

We are writing to let you know about some important changes we are making to some of the conditions under which your AOL Access services are provided:

Your Member Agreements will be updated
Our Member Services number is changing
Change of address for TPH Services Sàrl

These changes will not affect the quality of the service you receive from AOL Broadband.
The quality of the service that you receive will not be affected by these changes. You do not need to take any action as a result of this notification. However we do recommend that you read on to fully understand these changes and how they affect you.

1. Your Member Agreements will be updated
We have made some changes to the AOL Access, AOL Broadband and AOL Talk Agreements. You can review these Agreements at: www.myaolbroadband.co.uk/cos

The main updates we have made are as follows:

Charges and billing
In the future, we may on occasion have a requirement to change your billing date. We currently have no plans to do this, but should we need to we will give you 30 days notice of any such change.

Migration of our network
We are continuously working to align new systems and processes in order to ensure the continued quality of your service.

As a result, we will need to make further changes to our network over the next few months. Some of these changes may be visible to you but are not expected to affect the quality of your service. For example, dial-up access to the internet for broadband using a 0845 number will eventually be removed from direct use, but will still be possible in certain circumstances if you notify us - for example if your broadband connection fails for any reason.
You do not need to notify us now - we will let you know when this comes in effect, as well as any other exceptional circumstances where the changes we make to our network may affect your service.

2. Our Member Services number is changing
From 26th November 2007, the main Member Services customer support number will be changing from 0870 320 2020 to 0844 499 5555.

Calls to this new number will remain chargeable. The good news is that where calls were previously charged at up to 7.51p/min from BT landlines, any calls to the new number will be charged at a flat rate of 5p/min, whenever you need to call Member Services. Call charges from mobiles/other providers may vary.

Both numbers will be in operation from now until 26th November 2007 from which time only the new number will work. Please make a note of it now for future reference.

3. Change of address for TPH Services Sàrl
Please be aware that TPH Services Sàrl, the company that provides your AOL Access Services, has recently moved to a new address. As a result, your contract will be updated with their new contact details, which are as follows: Green Office Park, Parc d'Activitès Syrdall 6, L-5365 Munsbach, Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.

What happens next?
You do not have to do anything as a result of these changes. Your current agreements will remain unaffected until the above changes take effect from 26th November 2007.

The changes set out in this email amend the terms and conditions applicable to your AOL Access Services, and your continued subscription to the AOL Access Services will effectively show your acceptance of these new terms. Please be aware that usage of AOL's Access Services is at all times subject to our Fair Usage Policy and usage caps, and that AOL retain their formal rights to terminate usage not in accordance with that policy.

If you do have any queries about these changes, please do not hesitate to ask - we have set up a dedicated email address at AOLTermsUpdate@aol.com and we will endeavour to answer your queries as soon as we can. For other ways to contact us, please visit www.myaolbroadband.co.uk/contactus.

We'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for being a customer of AOL Broadband and we hope that you continue to enjoy our services.

Yours sincerely,

Alain Meric
Executive Director, Member Services
AOL Broadband
AOL Broadband and AOL Talk are currently provided by TPH Services Sàrl, registered in Luxembourg under number B122040, with a corporate address at Green Office Park, Parc d'Activitès Syrdall 6, L-5365 Munsbach, Grand Duchy of Luxembourg."

So I have just sent them this impolite little query:

"I don't believe that I was informed of the changes to the services you contracted with me when I was sold to car phone whorehouse.

Since when were phone calls to the help desk charged for?"

Which received this reply faster than the speed of something fast:

"The following problems occurred while processing your request:

AOLTermsUpdate - This is not a known member.

Your email has not been sent. Please correct the problems listed and try again."

The terms wanqer and fool were called to mind.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Onestream £22.49 (*29.99)
    Avg. Speed 45Mbps, Unlimited
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*35.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • Vodafone £23.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2769)
  2. FTTP (2753)
  3. FTTC (1784)
  4. Building Digital UK (1741)
  5. Politics (1664)
  6. Openreach (1621)
  7. Business (1433)
  8. FTTH (1340)
  9. Statistics (1240)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1223)
  11. Fibre Optic (1064)
  12. 4G (1053)
  13. Wireless Internet (1020)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (1015)
  15. Virgin Media (1006)
  16. EE (696)
  17. Sky Broadband (668)
  18. Vodafone (668)
  19. TalkTalk (663)
  20. 5G (516)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules