Sponsored Links

D-Link DWR-921- 2 questions

Cronus

Casual Member
Got a D-Link DWR-921 4G modem/router which is used for remote monitoring cctv cameras. It has 2 removable antennas. Can anyone recommend an external antenna for this device in order to improve the mobile network connectivity?

Also, anyone know if its possible to have too many wi-fi cameras on a 4g router? Currently have 8 cams but they lose connection randomly. I suspect the router may be throwing them off the network, after restarting the D-Link router they all on again until randomly losing connection again. There appears to be no way to improve wi-fi on this device because the antennas are built in, only the 4G antennas are external.

Thanks

Stick to a decent brand antenna, the stuff sold for sub Ā£20 on ebay is generally garbage. Poynting, Panorama etc. Im about to try a Bluespot antenna next week, they seem to be good quality if a relative newcomer

Sponsored Links
Stick to a decent brand antenna, the stuff sold for sub Ā£20 on ebay is generally garbage. Poynting, Panorama etc. Im about to try a Bluespot antenna next week, they seem to be good quality if a relative newcomer
Could you, if possible, open the antenna up and share with us some pictures?

Which model are you getting?

Iā€™m getting the bluespot ā€œlargeā€ antenna I suppose youā€™d call it, they do a mini one too.
If itā€™s easy to open I donā€™t mind doing that, there is a video on the bluespot YouTube channel where you briefly see inside it and it looks well made - nothing like those Chinese things where its all solder splatter and bits of brass foil.

Hm, for some reason I can't seem able to find a gain or swr graph for these bluespot antennas.

You are probably best off with a Poynting antenna. The XPOL-A001 4G seems good.
Here's a link šŸ‘‰ https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C1DGFPS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_BXKSK6KC05SSQKKZFTEY
Thanks for the recommendation and the link. This looks like exactly whatā€™s needed. The description says it also covers wifi bands too, thatā€™s an unexpected bonus. Just got to check the antenna connections match, then Iā€™ll get one ordered. There are some very cheap antennas on Amazon, but Iā€™ll bow to your experience and go for the expensive/quality one. Iā€˜d rather avoid problems than create them :)

Sponsored Links
Just wanted to thank everyone else who replied. Once the antenna is sorted I can look into the 2nd problem of why the cams are randomly being disconnected from the network. Thanks again :)

great video here with in depth analysis and tear down of one of those cheap antennas you see plastered all over eBay and Amazon.

@Gandi69 I'm a subscriber of that channel, wish he did more clips on cellular rather than wifi, though.
He is spot on about the cheap ebay antennas with silly numbers of gain.

Cronus​

Regarding your wi-fi cameras being dropped.
I had two of these routers in the past, bought from a medical supply company on ebay as my first venture into the getting decent broadband when BT are useless. One unused (a spare I expect) and one used. They did not work (too slow at both locations) to my expectations so they went back on eBay and I got a beer or two out of them. Replaced with a 525 at the time.
However the wi-fi signal was strong and could reach the extremities of my garden at one house with the signal at 20% power and be useable outside.
Therefore I wonder if the strong wi-fi signal may have something to do with your issue and dropping the power output down from 100% by a few steps is worth experimenting with. Think it drops in 10 or 20% steps but may be wrong there, it was while back.
I know there are few variations of the 921, mine were the B if I remember correctly.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: Ā£25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules