Sponsored Links

Data speeds - o2

Even though they’re saying they’re not, but if they were throttling my data, would I still have poor download speeds on 3G?

I find with Three a pure **** show for over 2 months now - 3G is always worse than 4G - if I'm getting 2mbps on 4G, 3G is sitting at 100kbps.

The only advantage a VPN seems to bring is at least the webpages load - I had to get one because I was either waiting for ages or had to keep hitting refresh for something to happen.

I find with Three a pure **** show for over 2 months now - 3G is always worse than 4G - if I'm getting 2mbps on 4G, 3G is sitting at 100kbps.

The only advantage a VPN seems to bring is at least the webpages load - I had to get one because I was either waiting for ages or had to keep hitting refresh for something to happen.
Was it happening to you 24/7 though?

mine is only during certain times of the day, so makes me think they’ve put a restriction on my account but won’t tell me.

Was it happening to you 24/7 though?

mine is only during certain times of the day, so makes me think they’ve put a restriction on my account but won’t tell me.
If it's certain times of the day, plus it is happening on the other SIM most of the time, this is just normal traffic management. Usage may spike at that time and reach capacity resulting in poor speeds, or O2 could put a blanket speed restriction on at those times to ensure enough capacity is available for everyone at low speeds. O2 most likely won't tell you further about this as customer service staff simply won't know about it.

Try another network - as you said your Vodafone work phone seems to not experience the same issues so perhaps consider switching to a more reliable network.

If it's certain times of the day, plus it is happening on the other SIM most of the time, this is just normal traffic management. Usage may spike at that time and reach capacity resulting in poor speeds, or O2 could put a blanket speed restriction on at those times to ensure enough capacity is available for everyone at low speeds. O2 most likely won't tell you further about this as customer service staff simply won't know about it.

Try another network - as you said your Vodafone work phone seems to not experience the same issues so perhaps consider switching to a more reliable network.
I can’t see them putting a blanket ban on until 1am though. Surely that isn’t viable to do?

I just feel it’s as if they are restricting me personally,, surely the customer service team would know if there was a blanket ban across the board?

I can’t see them putting a blanket ban on until 1am though. Surely that isn’t viable to do?

I just feel it’s as if they are restricting me personally,, surely the customer service team would know if there was a blanket ban across the board?
It's not a ban though, they're not restricting your data. Most networks choose 'peak' times that are around 8-9am to 12-1am so it sounds about right. I very much doubt you're being personally targeted. It'll just be traffic management. Customer service wouldn't be told the intricacies of the network management policies. They'd only be able to see if some specific services have been added to your account such as a data restriction which clearly isn't the case as it's not only affecting you. You have two SIMs with similar results. It's just going around in circles now though, what you're experiencing is heavy traffic management from a network that doesn't have a lot of capacity.

It's not a ban though, they're not restricting your data. Most networks choose 'peak' times that are around 8-9am to 12-1am so it sounds about right. I very much doubt you're being personally targeted. It'll just be traffic management. Customer service wouldn't be told the intricacies of the network management policies. They'd only be able to see if some specific services have been added to your account such as a data restriction which clearly isn't the case as it's not only affecting you. You have two SIMs with similar results. It's just going around in circles now though, what you're experiencing is heavy traffic management from a network that doesn't have a lot of capacity.

but it does seemto only affect me , my parents are on o2 and aren’t having the issues.

someone who uses Tesco mobile, but is controlled by o2isn’t having the issues.

it only seems to be in 2 specific locations mainly, my work and home.

just seems as though any sim that’s connected into my phone is affected.

but it does seemto only affect me , my parents are on o2 and aren’t having the issues.

someone who uses Tesco mobile, but is controlled by o2isn’t having the issues.

it only seems to be in 2 specific locations mainly, my work and home.

just seems as though any sim that’s connected into my phone is affected.
Are all those people connecting to the same masts in the same locations and being affected?

You could try your SIM in another phone and see if you're getting the same issues.

It is of course possible though I would suspect highly unlikely O2 have put a restriction on your IMEI.

o2 also state that they don’t restrict data during peak times.

Are all those people connecting to the same masts in the same locations and being affected?

You could try your SIM in another phone and see if you're getting the same issues.

It is of course possible though I would suspect highly unlikely O2 have put a restriction on your IMEI.

yer, all in the same locations, no issues with them, but for me I do.

if they restricted me through my IMEI number, would it then be the case if that sim was used in another phone, it would still be restricted?

If they had also restricted me through IMEI, could they still restrict me to certain locations, or would it basically be a ‘blanket’ drop in speed across the board?

o2 also state that they don’t restrict data during peak times.
Yet you’re experiencing exactly that. They are clearly doing it.
yer, all in the same locations, no issues with them, but for me I do.

if they restricted me through my IMEI number, would it then be the case if that sim was used in another phone, it would still be restricted?

If they had also restricted me through IMEI, could they still restrict me to certain locations, or would it basically be a ‘blanket’ drop in speed across the board?
They could do literally whatever they wanted it’s their network. I can guarantee this is absolutely not happening it’s just extreme. You’re experiencing normal congestion. Just switch your network provider for better service.

Yet you’re experiencing exactly that. They are clearly doing it.

They could do literally whatever they wanted it’s their network. I can guarantee this is absolutely not happening it’s just extreme. You’re experiencing normal congestion. Just switch your network provider for better service.

but say they did block me through my IMEI number, would I still have the same issues with the SIM card in another phone?

I just can’t see how the congestion can be until midnight and I’m the only one that’s suffering.

No IMEI would restrict the phone not the sim.

Congestion may not be happening up until that time but if a speed restriction across the network was in place to keep connections alive it might only be removed at those times.

Hopefully O2's network guys might be able to advise further but if O2 has a traffic management policy in place to maintain network availability the likelihood is they won't tell you what they don't need/have to.

When at the O2 tower nearby are you able to check your LTE Band again to see if its still on Band 20, also do this at work location, if its still showing Band 20 and not showing band 1 or 3 its likely the mast needs upgrading and is suffering congestion.

I had these very problems years ago with O2, specifically on 3G and now I'm remembering at certain times the speed would jump up and then during the day fall again, I left the area and city but then when I started missing important calls daily I left O2 and headed for EE who've been pretty solid.
I had an email from the complaints dept today, basically saying there’s nothing wrong and it’s a network issue, she sent me a T&C clause that basically said we have the right to disconnect you from the network if you abuse out staff etc.

i haven’t a clue how I’ve abused their staff as all I want is answers and haven’t been rude.

i now literally can’t do anything with my phone and they’re saying it’s fin.

if I’m right underneath the masts that give me data, it comes back that I’m on band 20 still.

I just don’t understand it.

No IMEI would restrict the phone not the sim.
So if they had restricted my IMEI number, it wouldn’t then put a block on any SIM card I put into the phone?

I’ve used multiple sim cars in the phone the last few weeks and all of them are hit and miss.

I would immagine that any IMEI restrictions they applied would be applied across the O2 network... however I've never heard or know of this happening.
So if I put my work sim in my phone and there was a block on my IMEI (Vodafone) theoretically its should work normally?

I have 3 SIM cards, all seem to be shite until early hours of the morning.

I assume you have not been getting to feisty when talking to them, maybe include this in your complaint to the ombudsman as it seems like an unfair way to treat customers.
I haven’t been feisty as such, I’ve just been hot headed, because you go on a live chat (which isn’t a live chat, more like WhatsApp) and they repeat themselves over and over again, telling me to try things that I’ve already tried.

I’m just getting frustrated because I don’t seem to be getting any where.
The fact Band 20 is only available makes me think that congestion is the issue, potentially affecting more than one area (which is normally the way with O2 I find)
i asked them to change bands and they said ‘it needs to be on a long range frequency otherwise you won’t get any signal’

So if I put my work sim in my phone and there was a block on my IMEI (Vodafone) theoretically its should work normally?

I have 3 SIM cards, all seem to be shite until early hours of the morning.

I haven’t been feisty as such, I’ve just been hot headed, because you go on a live chat (which isn’t a live chat, more like WhatsApp) and they repeat themselves over and over again, telling me to try things that I’ve already tried.

I’m just getting frustrated because I don’t seem to be getting any where.

i asked them to change bands and they said ‘it needs to be on a long range frequency otherwise you won’t get any signal’
They can't just 'change' the bands as it's physical equipment that's installed.

Switch networks! Switch networks! You'll get better service elsewhere. O2 do not have the capacity to meet your needs. They aren't blocking you specifically.

Switch networks! Switch networks! You'll get better service elsewhere. O2 do not have the capacity to meet your needs. They aren't blocking you specifically.

they’re being very vague with me, I can’t see any other reason apart from they’re blocking me personally.

it doesn’t make sense as everyone else who is on o2 has no issues in my house, it’s literally just me.

there’s no other explanation for it.

They can't just 'change' the bands as it's physical equipment that's installed.

I’m in an area where there’s no masts, but a built up area and I’m getting 40+ download speed. And -80 for signal strength.

but when I’m at home and less than 1/2 mile away from a mast, I get jack ****. And my Decibel frequency is -110.

This makes me think I am being restricted.

As others have said, you're not being restricted if you can get higher speeds elsewhere.

Contention and/or network management in your low speed locations are likely to be playing a part. However, -110 is poor signal and that will definitely be having an impact. -80 is excellent and you're probably very close to a cell site (even if you can't see it).

If you're 1/2 a mile away from a mast at home then I highly doubt you're getting your signal from that mast with -110dBm RSRP, unless you're inside your home and it has metal lined insulation/solid stone walls or something.

Edit: if your problem areas are at home and work, isn't there Wifi available in those locations?

As others have said, you're not being restricted if you can get higher speeds elsewhere.
O2 can restrict network access in certain locations, it states it on their T&C’s, which is why I believe they’re restricting me in certain areas.
Contention and/or network management in your low speed locations are likely to be playing a part. However, -110 is poor signal and that will definitely be having an impact. -80 is excellent and you're probably very close to a cell site (even if you can't see it).
Even stood under masts that give me good download speeds, I’m still at -110
If you're 1/2 a mile away from a mast at home then I highly doubt you're getting your signal from that mast with -110dBm RSRP, unless you're inside your home and it has metal lined insulation/solid stone walls or something.
I’m inside my home when ever I do the tests at home, but when I’m also outside, I’m still getting 110dBm.
Edit: if your problem areas are at home and work, isn't there Wifi available in those locations?
There is WiFi, but I’ve always had good data speed here at home and sometimes it’s faster than my WiFi, so that’s why I use data at home a lot of the time.

-80 is excellent and you're probably very close to a cell site (even if you can't see it).
Looking on cellmapper, the only cell site that was near to where I was, was a Vodafone one. I can’t see o2 using a Vodafone site, it was directly behind the area I was at.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5512)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules