Sponsored Links

Data speeds - o2

@TTJJ from your experience from when you worked at o2, would they restrict you from the network if they had contact from the police for your details?

just trying to see if the OP has done something naughty?

is that something they would do, restrict you at certain times if the police had requested details?
Why would the police ask a mobile network to restrict data speeds of a specific user at two specific locations?
Never heard of anything so ridiculous.

Has the OP tries using a different Speedtest app. Or tried seeing if the mast ID is different in the fast locations compared to the others

Why would the police ask a mobile network to restrict data speeds of a specific user at two specific locations?
Never heard of anything so ridiculous.

Has the OP tries using a different Speedtest app. Or tried seeing if the mast ID is different in the fast locations compared to the others
Reading on it, he’s having issues pretty much every where he goes Now.

that’s the just I’ve got from it.

apart from locations where he’s close to an antenna?

is it something that o2 would do though if the Police asked for Subscriber details? Would they off their own backs restrict them during certain hours?

Yes, Ive used numerous different apps, they all come back slow (plus I don’t need to use apps, I know it’s slow by the fact I can’t use the fecking internet)

I haven’t done anything that would constitute police intervention :(

it’s not just 2 specific locations, it’s pretty much every where now, until I get close to an antenna, then the speeds pick up, and go back down once I go past.

Yes, Ive used numerous different apps, they all come back slow (plus I don’t need to use apps, I know it’s slow by the fact I can’t use the fecking internet)

I haven’t done anything that would constitute police intervention :(

it’s not just 2 specific locations, it’s pretty much every where now, until I get close to an antenna, then the speeds pick up, and go back down once I go past.
So just leave O2. Get a SIM only from Vodafone, a reputable provider with a dependable network.

O2 won’t let me leave, they’ve even said this to me.

im Stuck with them.
Submit a complaint to the ombudsman, or take out an additional SIM only contract. Plenty of options available.

I imaging you've been hounding O2 with ridiculous claims that they're targeting you specifically - I've made it clear that's not the case - so perhaps reframe your complaint that the data speeds in areas that matter to you have dropped to your detriment and you'd like to raise a formal complaint. Stop asking them to fix something they can't or won't fix.

I can see that people are now getting sick of the repetitive responses....

O2 uses low frequencies 900mhz on 3G and 800mhz on 4G, in return for doing this they can operate fewer masts and cover wider areas... this however has the following impact....

Lower frequencies have lesser bandwidth capability in general, but because of the fewer mast sites for customers to connect to we find more customers connected to one mast site when compared to providers such as EE who not just use higher frequency bands but also own more bandwidth within those bands, this added by more mast sites being available to get signal where it needs to be yet less customers per mast site.

So with O2 using less bandwidth, on lower bands, serving more people per mast, its no surprise the networks suffers slow speeds.

O2 for many years has used traffic management and proxy management to reduce issues related to congestion, unfortunately O2 has bandwdith issues in more places than you might think and if a mast hasn't even had some extra bands put on to help with the pressure (yours hasn't) then issues will be very bad.

** Above you mention that 3G is slower than 4G, in comparison to the Three network quoted above, it will be as Three use higher band for 3G (2100mhz) compared to O2's 900Mhz and again this is often affected by capacity issues.

** You mentioned that when you approach the mast your able to acheive higher speeds, its most likely that when approaching the mast your signal flips to a cell facing elsewhere that isn't as busy or congested as the one facing in your direction, you may also be getting dual carriage (where two or more cells connect to a your device allowing for more bandwidth to reeach the device.....

Another factor to consider is that a fault has occured with your device that is causing it to go belly up in certain situations, signal sensitivity not working too well, maybe due to iOS update.

I can't stress enough that getting letter of deadlock from O2 Complaints is required if they aren't able to help you, then an Ombudsman needs to take up the case and get O2 to admit the issue and resolve it to a satisfaction (such as removing plan or discounting)

Unfortunately nothing else we can suggest on this matter, its appearing obvious that its a network issue, O2 won't consider it an issue as they don't promise speeds on their network and basically unless service is not working (at all... calls dropping)

I'm sorry if this isn't the resolution you where looking for but it's the only one that can be suggested short of 'deal with it' or switch providers at "whatever the cost"
Are you absolutely sure it’s capacity issues and they’re not specifically targeting him?

I can see that people are now getting sick of the repetitive responses....

O2 uses low frequencies 900mhz on 3G and 800mhz on 4G, in return for doing this they can operate fewer masts and cover wider areas... this however has the following impact....

Lower frequencies have lesser bandwidth capability in general, but because of the fewer mast sites for customers to connect to we find more customers connected to one mast site when compared to providers such as EE who not just use higher frequency bands but also own more bandwidth within those bands, this added by more mast sites being available to get signal where it needs to be yet less customers per mast site.

So with O2 using less bandwidth, on lower bands, serving more people per mast, its no surprise the networks suffers slow speeds.

O2 for many years has used traffic management and proxy management to reduce issues related to congestion, unfortunately O2 has bandwdith issues in more places than you might think and if a mast hasn't even had some extra bands put on to help with the pressure (yours hasn't) then issues will be very bad.

** Above you mention that 3G is slower than 4G, in comparison to the Three network quoted above, it will be as Three use higher band for 3G (2100mhz) compared to O2's 900Mhz and again this is often affected by capacity issues.

** You mentioned that when you approach the mast your able to acheive higher speeds, its most likely that when approaching the mast your signal flips to a cell facing elsewhere that isn't as busy or congested as the one facing in your direction, you may also be getting dual carriage (where two or more cells connect to a your device allowing for more bandwidth to reeach the device.....

Another factor to consider is that a fault has occured with your device that is causing it to go belly up in certain situations, signal sensitivity not working too well, maybe due to iOS update.

I can't stress enough that getting letter of deadlock from O2 Complaints is required if they aren't able to help you, then an Ombudsman needs to take up the case and get O2 to admit the issue and resolve it to a satisfaction (such as removing plan or discounting)

Unfortunately nothing else we can suggest on this matter, its appearing obvious that its a network issue, O2 won't consider it an issue as they don't promise speeds on their network and basically unless service is not working (at all... calls dropping)

I'm sorry if this isn't the resolution you where looking for but it's the only one that can be suggested short of 'deal with it' or switch providers at "whatever the cost"
But the fact it’s everywhere I go. (It was just 2 places) but now it’s everywhere I go, no matter where I am.

it’s always between 9am-midnight no matter where o am.

i can be 40 miles from home and it’s still the same, it never used to be like this, I’ve always had good data, so it’s something that’s happening to me and they won’t tell me.

these were taken last night, in the same spot, shows that it changed back to normal after midnight.

40FE159B-7335-44A2-B749-5758CF083323.png
D523581B-948E-436F-9CC5-B0CD4E4F46A4.png

Well potentially its a regional issue, potentially the traffic management might be affecting the whole network....

If your dead certain O2 is singling you out, you better go get somer legal advice for defamation of data transmission.

currently we are wasting are time discussing this further, atleast here, join the O2 forum and discuss their, maybe others find the same issues, you could be part of a lower class of mobile customer on O2.

All joking aside, O2 is poop emoji, raise the complaint one last time with O2 in detailed manner, when they say they can't help you request they issue a letter of deadlock and contact the ombudsman.

Alternatively become a night owl.
But it’s just me that’s having the issue, no one else is experiencing the same as what I am.

Theoretically, would the data speeds be slow on GiffGaff too if there was some kind of traffic management in play? Or does GiffGaff control their own speeds?

I’ve raised it numerous times with O2, I’ve asked for a deadlock letter and they aren't replying to my emails.

so I’m not exactly sure what I can do.

I just don’t understand why it’s only me.

I think they have 30 days to give you a deadlock letter, may come by post... if still not then report to ombudsman anyway and say they didn't or wouldn't give you one.

okay. I doubt they’ll give it me, they’re ignoring me.

if there was TM in place, would it be across the board on 4g & 3G?

would they restrict the speeds for both 4&3g?

They may or may not. No way of knowing.
Cause I don’t get any improvement on 3G at all.

samr as 4g, only when I’m close to an antenna do i get the speeds.

which is why I think that they’ve stopped my data for some reason.

i have no idea why, or why it’s not all the time of they have a reason for it?

If they've stopped your data why would it get better at the masts?

The network obviously isn't meeting your needs. Buy another SIM only deal and suffer the cost. Vodafone's with cashback can be as low as a tenner a month.

If they've stopped your data why would it get better at the masts?
cause even though it’s restricted, the same amount of speeds are coming from the masts? Surely if there was TM in place, it wouldn’t give me the speeds either? (But there has to be some Tm(or restriction on my account) as it’s always 9am-12 without fail)

Have you tested your speed at the mast between 12am and 9am? and again at non-traffic management times?

Again, stop trying to fix the issue. It isn't going to happen.

Have you tested your speed at the mast between 12am and 9am? and again at non-traffic management times?
Yes, the speeds are the same as they are during the day when I’m close to a mast. What would you class as non TM times?

There’s 3 cell towers in close proximity to each other near to where I live.

when I’m close to these cell towers, neither one gives me any better speeds then when I’m close to them.

mine of these towers is one that my phone connects to when I’m at home .

there’s also an antenna close to where I work that doesn’t give me any more speeds when close to it, this tower is the one my phone connects to when I’m at work.

to me this looks as though they’re stopping my speeds to certain towers.

but it doesn’t explain why I can get good speeds close to other towers, but the minute I walk away, I’m getting rubbish speeds.

There’s 3 cell towers in close proximity to each other near to where I live.

when I’m close to these cell towers, neither one gives me any better speeds then when I’m close to them.

mine of these towers is one that my phone connects to when I’m at home .

there’s also an antenna close to where I work that doesn’t give me any more speeds when close to it, this tower is the one my phone connects to when I’m at work.

to me this looks as though they’re stopping my speeds to certain towers.

but it doesn’t explain why I can get good speeds close to other towers, but the minute I walk away, I’m getting rubbish speeds.
Do you seriously think they're tracking your location and as soon as you get so many metres away they're throttling you?

Don't you think your theories are a little insane?

They're not targeting you, the network is just crap. Every other network surely isn't as bad as apparently no download speed.

Do you seriously think they're tracking your location and as soon as you get so many metres away they're throttling you?
Yer, what other explanation is there?
Why would I get good speeds when I’m close to an antenna, then when I move away, I get nothing.

why would I not get any increase of speeds near the masts for my house, and one of those masts is the one I’m connected too.

o2 has one of the better network speeds.

It’s because they hate you and they’re all laughing behind their O2 computer screens because they hate you and specifically you only. I think this is the only answer you’ll accept.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5513)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules