Sponsored Links

Data speeds - o2

Hagz1990

Pro Member
Hi all.

new to the forum here :)

the last few weeks, I’ve been getting horrendous data speeds.

it’s mainly between 9am-midnight.

when I say horrendous, I don’t mean 8/9mbps, I mean less than 2mbps constantly.

o2 are telling me there’s no restrictions on my account or anything.

but I don’t believe them as I just don’t understand why it’s doing it.

I get the same speeds regardless of a VPN is active or not.

many ideas on what it could be?

Could literally be anything - your local mast could have been taken offline for upgrades meaning you're connecting to one further away, they could've made some configuration changes or it could simply just be a case of more users connecting to the same mast and using more of the available bandwidth.

Could literally be anything - your local mast could have been taken offline for upgrades meaning you're connecting to one further away, they could've made some configuration changes or it could simply just be a case of more users connecting to the same mast and using more of the available bandwidth.

They’re telling me there’s no issues in the area.

mots not just in one place, it’s pretty much across the wholeboard of the area that I live.

they’re telling me there’s nothing wrong and I just feel like they’re fobbing me off.

it’s fine early hours the morning, but the second it hits 9am, that’s it,low data speeds.

Sponsored Links
Is this on a phone or a router, what are your antenna stats, is it a rural or urban area. If it drops so much at exactly 9am is there a factory nearby with 9am to midnight hours. The more info you give the better. How long have you had the sim, for how long was it working.

Is this on a phone or a router, what are your antenna stats, is it a rural or urban area. If it drops so much at exactly 9am is there a factory nearby with 9am to midnight hours. The more info you give the better. How long have you had the sim, for how long was it working.
Its a mobile, where would I find antenna stats too?
It’s a town in Devon, nothing like a factory or anything nearby.
It’s a new sim, they sent me to try, it’s always been working but it’s changed in the last 4 weeks or so.

You may find some useful data in here:

A good free app for network stats is 'Network Cell Info Lite'. But I suspect if you find that the stats and band stay roughly the same at both time periods then it's probably a capacity issue at the mast, with O2 not supplying enough backhaul to feed everybody with good speeds. In O2's mind such a situation would still be fine (i.e. no problems) but obviously the end-users experience will be worse.

You may find some useful data in here:

A good free app for network stats is 'Network Cell Info Lite'. But I suspect if you find that the stats and band stay roughly the same at both time periods then it's probably a capacity issue at the mast, with O2 not supplying enough backhaul to feed everybody with good speeds. In O2's mind such a situation would still be fine (i.e. no problems) but obviously the end-users experience will be worse.
Thank you, they keep saying there’s nothing wrong and they’ve said that they’re not restricting the data for any one.

I can’t find that app on the iPhone, is there another one that’ll do the same job?
Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
IPhone restricts the data available due to Apple policies, try cellmapper or opensignal but data will be limited even if the app is on iphone.

What
IPhone restricts the data available due to Apple policies, try cellmapper or opensignal but data will be limited even if the app is on iphone.
do you mean iPhone restricts data available? (Not my data speed?)

can’t find cellmapper on AppStore

What

They mean that Cellmapper doesn't work on iPhone because Apple don't allow access to various network level settings such as Mast IDs etc for privacy. You'd need to use an Android device to check this.

What

Yes, made by Apple with Apple software so Apple policies apply. Borrow an android phone and stick your O2 sim card in it and the signal data will be available from those apps.

Sponsored Links
Yes, made by Apple with Apple software so Apple policies apply. Borrow an android phone and stick your O2 sim card in it and the signal data will be available from those apps.
I don’t have access to any android phone :(

Mia it possible for a network provider to block you from certain locations using your data etc?

I just get the feeling that’s what they’re doing, as my data is okay in some areas, but others it’s not.

Two separate issues, O2 control the data flow volume at the mast or maybe not if too many users are connected all at the same time, Apple restrict the data you can view so you have no idea how O2 are performing.

Two separate issues, O2 control the data flow volume at the mast or maybe not if too many users are connected all at the same time, Apple restrict the data you can view so you have no idea how O2 are performing.
I’m confused, so what you’re telling me is that the data download speed that I’m getting is not an o2 issue but an Apple issue?

Is it possible for a service provider to stop you accessing certain cell tower locations to get your normal speed?

could they blokeyou from getting the standard of service at specific locations?

I’m confused, so what you’re telling me is that the data download speed that I’m getting is not an o2 issue but an Apple issue?
No, the data issue is probably O2, but Apple will not allow you to find out why or who is the issue.

No, the data issue is probably O2, but Apple will not allow you to find out why or who is the issue.
Ah okay.
Is there a way that o2 would be able to restrict my data at certain cell towers?
But tell me there isn’t an issue?
I seem to be having the most issues at the places I am the most, which leads me to believe for some reason they are blocking my access to the towers.

Sponsored Links
I just don’t get it.

it’s basically from 9am every morning, till 1am the following morning.

thenafter those hours, it’s fine, then without fail it goes back to being ****.

I just don’t get it.

just feel like they’re blocking my account at certain times of the day and I’m certain places as it’s not like it every where (although it is most places)

What you’re describing is heavy traffic management being applied. Can’t prove it but it’s gonna be O2’s issue and you won’t be able to resolve it. It’ll either resolve itself or it won’t no way to tell.

What you’re describing is heavy traffic management being applied. Can’t prove it but it’s gonna be O2’s issue and you won’t be able to resolve it. It’ll either resolve itself or it won’t no way to tell.
But it doesn’t make sense because a PAYG SIM card that I have, doesn’t have any issues.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules