Sponsored Links

[Deleted]

Same here with mine. They did something on Thursday.

Latency:
PingSCEE20071209.png

Speedtest (which unfortunately, was broken until Friday):
Speedtest20071209.png

I won't bother with the packetloss one. Suffice to say, it's same as ever - between 5-12%.

My best guess is, they've had another stab at traffic prioritisation/management, and it's more successful this time (how could it be worse?).

Trouble is, as a gamer, it's still not good enough. I mean, at least now it (gaming) works, I can get on and play. Whereas last time, it was fully b0rked, couldn't even connect.

I'm trying to build a graph based upon HTTP latency (instead of ICMP ping), as I know that HTTP is still terribly slow at peak.
eg. I know that when the connection is 'good', I see http latency to bbc of approx 45ms. But, when it's bad, it's 1300ms.

But, I get my new ISP (Be) on Tuesday. So, I won't give a monkey about VM come Tuesday evening.

Sponsored Links
Data collection (for everything but the speedtests) is still done by the wonderful MRTG.
Graphing is RRDtool.

Latency/loss is handled by the mrtg-ping-probe add-on for MRTG.

DNS lookups is of my own creation - I use 'dig' to check lookups at various DNS's and a VBScript to turn the data into something MRTG can handle.

My existing HTTP charts (which test page load times) are handled by http://www.webinject.org - which can natively output data in MRTG format.

I've got a script to do HTTP response time, but, it's not passing the data over into MRTG for some reason - it's a VBScript that uses 'wget' (GNU Wget 1.10.2) and 'ntimer' (from the Windows 2003 server resource kit).

eg.
ntimer -1 wget --quiet --spider http://www.bbc.co.uk

'spider' means that nothing is done with the page. So, it's as close to a 'HTTP ping' as I can get.

This returns:
0:00:04.031 0:00:00.031 0:00:00.046 0:00:05.546

The first being elapsed time, second is user time.
I would use the user time in my reporting.
Therefore, the value from above would be 4031ms - which is very poor!!
During testing the other night, I was getting 100-150ms.

But, the speed test is something else....

I downloaded the 'Speed Tester' application from BroadbandChoices.co.uk - it is configured to run a speed test every hour.

I don't think it's particularly accurate, or the best tester around. But, it solved a problem. It writes it's data to a Microsoft Jet/Access DB, which unfortunately has a password on it.

I emailed them, told them what I was trying to do, and asked if I could have the password, so I may add it into my graphing/monitoring. They refused.

So, for legal reasons, I can't comment further on that!
Suffice to say, there is a scheduled task that runs every 20mins that updates the RRD used by the speedtest.

I'd rather be using speedtest.net for my speed testing. I've emailed them, and asked for a command-line test - or, something I can 'wget' to emulate a test. They can't help at present, but, may have something to cover this in the future.

It was the speedtest.net site that gave me the idea for the 'HTTP latency' monitoring - as they don't use ping/ICMP in their latency (as shown on a speed test), they monitor the HTTP response time.

When VM (badly) implemented the traffic shaping/prioritisation/management they were clearly prioritising ping/ICMP traffic higher than other traffic - presumably, in an attempt to fool people (that were running ping tests) into thinking the network was faster (and therefore, less problematic) than it really was.

That's why I was eager to get a 'real world latency' test done. Something to measure response, that wasn't based upon ICMP/ping.

If I wasn't such a Windows-person, and had it all running under Linux, I'd probably switch the ping-probe over to using something like TCP Ping.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules