Sponsored

Demon - Costs and speed

Gameer

Casual Member
Hi,

New user ;)

I'm currently looking to leave Gio internet for obvious reasons, and so searching for a good 56k ISP which will give me good performance in games (Well... :rolleyes: ).

Is Demon fast and stable in MP gaming?

Also, i'm slightly confused by the cost. I only want 56k, not ISDN, and I want to be able to have unlimited access (Not by 0845 number).

Is this possible? :shrug: How much would it cost?:crap:

Thanks greatly

Muggins

£19.99 per month for demon internet
£25.00 per month for surftime anytime

and of course you normal BT line rental on top :eek:

Shaun

ULTIMATE Member
I have been told that Demon are a great dialup ISP, but I have also been told that there are better Dialup alternatives...

Shaun :cool:

lord snotty

I used to subscribe to Demon. The connection was flakey at times on ISDN but you could stay connected 24x7x365 with no timeouts of cutoffs. Overall I was satisfied but it was just too expensive.

I moved to AOL which is basically the same deal without the cost of surftime and the unfortunate addition of AOL software. If you have a decent spec machine, you can happily run their software in the background using AOLhider and forget about it. I'm as happy with AOL as I was with demon... especially considering I was paying three times more back then. :)

Gameer

Casual Member
Phew :hrmph:

Isn't surftime anytime ISDN? I want a 56k dial-up only. Sorry if it's 56k too, I don't have a clue what this surftime thingy is.

FiftySixKer said:
I have been told that Demon are a great dialup ISP, but I have also been told that there are better Dialup alternatives...

Shaun :cool:
What're they? :rolleyes:

I am looking for an ISP, so don't have my heart set on any particular one. Can you give any alternatives? (For gamers)

lord snotty said:
I used to subscribe to Demon. The connection was flakey at times on ISDN but you could stay connected 24x7x365 with no timeouts of cutoffs. Overall I was satisfied but it was just too expensive.

I moved to AOL which is basically the same deal without the cost of surftime and the unfortunate addition of AOL software. If you have a decent spec machine, you can happily run their software in the background using AOLhider and forget about it. I'm as happy with AOL as I was with demon... especially considering I was paying three times more back then.
Ah...Not AOL! :mad:

Been there, done that... :shrug:

Thank you:)

Muggins

Bt Surftime Anytime applies to 56k also ;)

Dialup alternatives that dont tend to moan too much about how much ya online include.. AOL, Freeserve and ermm thats it i think lol :D
Freeserve giving a better gaming ping than AOL :)
using one of the alternatives means ya dont need the surftime bt package :)

and same as Lord Snotty I also used Demon with ISDN and had no trouble off them at all for 24/7 usage, although i too found the service just too expensive after a year or so, i moved to freeserve anytime, ok you got a 2 hour cut off time but still a hell of a lot cheaper alternative, but now BT have graced my exchange with ADSL so thats what i'm on now :p

Last edited:

ripsaw82

I recommend Claranet with my life! www.clara.net

Its the best ISP i have ever been with, online gaming is great. No disconnections on Freetime. If you use it "too much", they will just ask you to move to the business version, which is an extra £10 a month.

I would not even think about touching another ISP now... They are just Quality.

Tech support is 0845 rate too :)

Gameer

Casual Member

I'll check out clara.net then...Demon seems to cost to much :rolleyes: :mad:

I was also looking at fireflyUK...anyone recommend them? 4 hour disconnect :nod:

Thanks

Gameer

Casual Member
It certainly looks good but it's a bit sparse on detail.

I'd have to investigate (Got loads of time, too - Have to wait another month before i'm free of Gio, stupid T&Cs)

Thanks

ip

ULTIMATE Member
Had to mates one used ontel big mistake one used virgin same as for aol no cut off getting a little flaky at times still 1 month is fair to try a new isp just read all the small print.

Clublander

Casual Member
might be pointless telling you this but...

I have Demon ADSL, and pings in counterstrike are very very low, especially to the UK hosts obviously, such as UK2..

seem to have good links anyway

Demon

Top Member
I'm not with Demon (although my name might suggest otherwise), but I have friends who use them and say they're good, occasional dropped connections, but I think it's their personal telephone line (which is always hissing and popping when I call) as apposed to Demons service.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2509)
  2. FTTP (2194)
  3. FTTC (1657)
  4. Building Digital UK (1605)
  5. Politics (1424)
  6. Openreach (1417)
  7. Business (1237)
  8. Statistics (1098)
  9. FTTH (1071)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1036)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (906)
  14. 4G (898)
  15. Virgin Media (856)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (591)
  18. TalkTalk (578)
  19. Vodafone (517)
  20. Security (411)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules