Sponsored Links

Difference between fibre duct terminations?

K8-bit

Casual Member
Does anyone know what the difference between these two duct terminators are? Some houses on our street have one, others the other. Just wondered what the difference was. Thought was maybe single-dwelling vs. multi-dwelling but does not seem to be so. Openreach in this case.

Attachments

• port.JPG
    port.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 152
  • port2.JPG
    port2.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 159
So the one on the left looks like a standard toby box cover (street connection point), which reflects a lateral cut from the main street fibre. Such boxes usually house fibre Microducts and Splice enclosures, which may be used to serve 1-2 homes.

The one on the right (blue) doesn't look anything like that and may be more of a permanent marker, which might indicate where a toby box should go in the future (i.e. when customers place an order). But I'm not sure, I've not seen those before. I'll find out.

Thanks Mark, Interestingly the type on the left is seen less frequently than the "bottletop" one in the town - we ourselves got one last week when the ducting work was completed. Meanwhile, friend of mine a few streets away has the bottletop, and openreach wholesale checker shows FTTP available - other side of his street one property has the other type of termination, also available.

Hopefully our enablement won't be too far behind :)

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know what the difference between these two duct terminators are? Some houses on our street have one, others the other. Just wondered what the difference was. Thought was maybe single-dwelling vs. multi-dwelling but does not seem to be so. Openreach in this case.
Blue one is just a marker, below it will be a capped off new duct - probably find that the house has grassed/soil route to the property from that marker pin.

The other one is as Mark says is a Toby box which will have duct/tubing going to the base of it, then the fibre cable can be pulled through it and then cleared along a garden wall, or again have new duct dig from it to the property depending on each individual situation.

So the official line on that blue thingy is that it's a drop pin used to identify where duct has been fed into a customer’s curtilage. So, much like I suggested, it's essentially a marker for a Toby Box. During the early stages of dig Openreach did use a small Toby Box as a marker.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules