Sponsored Links

Digital Voice and third-party Wifi/Router

Salem874

Casual Member
I'm in an FTTC area in Ely, Cambridgeshire.

I've recently re-upgraded to FTTC, which is due to go live tomorrow. As part of my upgrade order, I was advised that I'd also be switched over to BTs Digital Voice phone service.

My current setup is that I use the BT Smart Hub 2 for the "modem" part of my internet service (which I will continue to use) and use the Deco Mesh Wi-Fi system (via the Deco P9) to improve Wi-Fi across the home (we have thick, solid walls, which makes wifi penetration difficult, so using Powerline and regular Mesh technology offered by the P9s.

I believe the new "Digital Voice" phones from BT connect to your Wi-Fi to provide service. My question is, do I have to connect it to the BT Smart Hub's Wi-fi, or can I just as well connect them to the Deco Mesh Wi-Fi. The Deco's obviously provide better coverage throughout the property, so that would be my preference.

Does anyone have any insights on this?

The Smart Hub uses DECT to connect to the BT supplied handsets not WIFI. The Hub also has a BT Telephone socket so you can simply connect your existing phone(s) directly or via internal wiring.

If you are using the Deco Mesh from an ethernet port and have turned off the Smart Hub WIFI that's fine. If you have subscribed to BT Complete WIFI or BT Hybrid Connect then you will need the Smart Hub WIFI on if they are not connected via Ethernet.

Thanks @Meatball

I had assumed that the references to using WPS to connect the new BT Digital Voice handsets implied that it would use Wi-Fi rather than DECT to work.

To confirm...

Yes, we have the Deco's connected to the BT Smart Hub 2 via Ethernet, but have BT Wifi enabled (at the moment). I wanted to disable it, but haven't as yet as assumed the phones would use it.

We do have Hybrid Connect, so yes, would need to use the Smart Hub (I would however like to replace the BT Hub but would want another fallback solution which they Hybrid Connect provides).

We were provided Complete Wi-Fi Discs but don't use them, so they're collecting dust at the moment

----

On a slightly different note, I was under the impression Digital Voice was only being switched (at this stage anyway) to customers signing up to FTTP plans, so was surprised to be told I'll be migrated when (re-)ordering FTTC. I thought I read Digital Voice would only be the only option from 2023

Sponsored Links
If the Hybrid is included in your package then I would use it as the SIM is registered and will perform if necessary without charge. If you use your own solution then of course you will have to maintain a valid SIM, its additional cost and you could easily exceed any data allowance. However the Hybrid Connect is only a restricted backup (speed) if your needs are higher.

If you don't need the additional BT services (as highlighted by the use of the DECO) then I would revert to the basic package from BT or more likely another ISP in future. They may have offered a nil cost upgrade this time but it is all subject to inflation/investment increases.

Digital Voice will be offered now on FTTP, where there is a copper stop sell or where OR wishes to accelerate the reduction in PSTN. It is a massive switchover so they need to get going.

Thanks again

One more question, I'm assuming that I can have the BT smart Hub 2 wifi disabled (given my wifi is from the Deco mesh system) but still connect a BT Digital Voice phone (DECT) using the "Press and Hold WPS for 2 seconds"

This is the thing that confuses me...

My understanding is yes. The DECT/Socket and the WIFI (including Complete Discs) are separate but share the WPS button to pair either.

Just to add, I was unable to pair/register the BT Advanced Digital Voice Phone with Alexa (what a mouthful of a name) with Wi-Fi on my Smart Hub 2 disabled.

As soon as I turned Wifi on, pressing the WPS button allowed the phone to be paired.

I have since gone back and turned Wi-Fi off, and the handset is still working. So it looks like it is all DECT based, but that Wi-Fi (may) initially have to be turned on for the WPS pairing button to work.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules