Sponsored

Disasterous merger, help please

eyeofskye

My partner has for many years been creating websites for individuals and small companies as a reseller for Skymarket. Skymarket has just gone into a merger, though it appears more a complete takeover, with Internetters who use Easyspace for hosting.

Needless to say this has not gone smoothly and now half his sites have disabled elements and other major problems and the previously excellent technical help from Skymarket has vanished. Worse still are the hosting implications. When he was with Skymarket there was no charge for transferring out a domain to be hosted elsewhere. Now he finds out that should he wish to escape to a better provider Easyspace want £35 per domain which, for my partner, potentially means an impossible bill in excess of £3000 pounds:mad:

My question is this, is it legal to make such a change in terms and conditions in this type of merger? He has not entered into any sort of contract with Easyspace. If this cannot better be resolved he is thinking of getting out of the business which will probably mean dumping on his customers in the same way that Skymarket seems have dumped on theirs.

Brian

eyeofskye

What's the charge actually for? Is this simply a charge to update the IPS tag to another registrar?

If the majority of the domains end in .uk then you may be able to get recourse through Nominet, who are usually pretty good.

You could certainly run this policy past them and see whether it fits their rules.

http://www.nominet.org.uk/disputes/complaining-about-registrar
I'll have a look at that. Vast majority of his domains are .co.uk . My mistake, the charge is actually £15 and it is for the administration of the updating. The total bill still comes to more than £3000 for the large number of domains he has acquired for his customers. Curiously I cannot find this charge in the T&Cs, it only turns up in the Easyspace control panel.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
So long as his name is on the ownership for the domain then he should be able to re-gain control and or move them by going through Nominet (works for UK domains only), although some hosts still craftily try to hijack the domain under their own names but Nominet do have procedures for that.

For any other domains it could be more problematic as I'm not completely familiar with the rules for different countries and their registrars.

Mark2

Top Member
I may be out of date on this, but Network Solutions used to administrate the .com and .org top-level domains.

I did have some dealings with them once over ownership of a domain and while the timescales can be longer thanks to emails pinging back and forth across time zones, they were also quite good.

I think you may need some professional advice on the legalities - certainly, in B2C I'd have thought that the company taking it over would have to provide the same e.g. keep to the contract, provide notice of intention to vary contract and leave the customer with the option of termination without penalty.

B2B is rather different but depending on how you get on with Nominet it might well be worth asking for advice; MoneySavingExpert.com can be quite good for this as a fair number of posters do have the necessary experience as long as you make it clear it's B2B.

stressed01

I too have been a reseller for Skymarket and last week was very stressful, probably the worst week in years. No work done other than sorting out problems created by the merge to internetters. I have many customers with email problems due to switch over of mail servers and not telling anyone till after the event. The service is rubbish, no one answing phones and takes days to get replies via email then problems still not sorted. If it can be cocked up then they can do it for you! As renewals become due I will be advising customers to move or sooner if things not working properly. I have already spoke to Nominet re batch transfers and it may be helpful for people with several domains to transfer to seek their help and support.

Internetters-Skymarket shambles

My partner has for many years been creating websites for individuals and small companies as a reseller for Skymarket. Skymarket has just gone into a merger, though it appears more a complete takeover, with Internetters who use Easyspace for hosting.

Needless to say this has not gone smoothly and now half his sites have disabled elements and other major problems and the previously excellent technical help from Skymarket has vanished.
Brian
My company has been with Skymarket for many years and I rated them 9/10. Now they have been taken over by Internetters with disastrous results for us (with similar problems reported by a friend who was also with Skymarket).

To say the transfer has been a shambles is no overstatement. I have had days without any emails. I couldn't even access my webmail for several days because the settings had been changed. On other days, my main business website has been inaccessible. All my Skymarket settings were changed without me being told. One Sunday when we had no emails or website, the online support page was blocked by an announcement that was laughably inaccurate. Further, I have not been able to phone anyone at Internetters Support for several days. I have just been left hanging there, running up a phone bill. Disgraceful.

The Internetters take-over of Skymarket continues to be a shambles. They don't answer their Support phone and posting email complaints is very difficult because they first demand answers to so many questions -- some of which can't be answered.

In desperation this morning I phoned their sales department 0370 170 9170. They were reluctant to help, but it was very clear from the at-time angry exchanges that all was not well at Internetters.

We have given Internetters a fair trial, but we have had enough and are off to find another ISP. The same applies to another person I know who was a Skymarket customer.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2509)
  2. FTTP (2196)
  3. FTTC (1657)
  4. Building Digital UK (1606)
  5. Politics (1425)
  6. Openreach (1417)
  7. Business (1238)
  8. Statistics (1098)
  9. FTTH (1072)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1037)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (906)
  14. 4G (898)
  15. Virgin Media (857)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (591)
  18. TalkTalk (579)
  19. Vodafone (517)
  20. Security (412)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules