Sponsored Links

DNA branded B818

He does have his own cherrypicker - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-55399259

_116200718_af2d8fe8-83f7-4770-99e7-5af821ddf219.jpg
Pic: Boris in Gov lol. Can clearly see the weight before CoVID stripped him of some of it.

So....
I took the plunge and bought this.
A good price at £119.99 , I'll refrain from using the word 'bargain' until I've given it a proper testing to see if it delivers better performance than my B525.
As you can see the box is covered in Finnish glory (or is it double dutch?😆)

20210915_165825.jpg
20210915_165847.jpg

Couldn't resist giving it a brief test.
With everything in Finnish it took a while to actually get it working.
The login page is 192.168.1.1 and not 192.168.8.1 which I thought most Huawei routers were.
I had also assumed that the password was admin but it wasn't, the label on the bottom isn't in English but I worked out eventually that it's 1234!
A euro power supply was supplied and instead of using the one from the B525, I used a shaver adapter.
It worked for about 20 minutes until the 1 amp fuse blew 😳🙄

Couldn't resist giving it a brief test.
With everything in Finnish it took a while to actually get it working.
The login page is 192.168.1.1 and not 192.168.8.1 which I thought most Huawei routers were.
I had also assumed that the password was admin but it wasn't, the label on the bottom isn't in English but I worked out eventually that it's 1234!
A euro power supply was supplied and instead of using the one from the B525, I used a shaver adapter.
It worked for about 20 minutes until the 1 amp fuse blew 😳🙄
You can fit most Euro plugs into a British socket, just push down on the top/earth pin with a screwdriver or something, where the earth prong would go, then with the neutral and live pin sockets accessible connecte the plug.

What I'd like to know is..
1. Any signs of volte working?
2. Bridge mode still there?

I have ordered a B818 to replace a B525, found a firmware file listing here (use Google translate to see the languages each firmware covers), note there are not files to download but details of how to contact to pay for one. But if you have the file name then its possible to Google it and see if its a download elsewhere.

Now to find how to load it to the B818 as reading other posts the local update from file does not work plus the file source is not certified so they may be duff too or even brick the B818.

Link to flashing tools, some have the same file names I use to successfully flash my B525.

Again, unverified, use at own risk.

My B818 also came with a European power block but the supply requirements are the same as that for the B525 and the PSUs are interchangeable. I've been using my old B525 PSU since I got the B818.

Blowing a 1amp fuse in a 230v mains supply is a bit worrying. Huawei PSUs supply 12v at 2amp and draw a maximum stated current of 0.8amps at 100v. At 230v it should draw less than half that.

Sponsored Links
I only briefly looked at the router firmware, I didn't see bridge or volte settings but i will have a better look when I have time, which probably won't be today.
Doe's it matter which way the euro plug goes, I'm assuming there's a live and neutral pin? Possibly a dumb question but I don't want to blow up my new router! 😁

I only briefly looked at the router firmware, I didn't see bridge or volte settings but i will have a better look when I have time, which probably won't be today.
Doe's it matter which way the euro plug goes, I'm assuming there's a live and neutral pin? Possibly a dumb question but I don't want to blow up my new router! 😁
A 2 pin plug isn't handed. I have a proper Euro/GB adaptor and it can be plugged in either way round.
If in doubt use your B525 PSU as I am doing. They are the same spec.

I have ordered a B818 to replace a B525, found a firmware file listing here (use Google translate to see the languages each firmware covers), note there are not files to download but details of how to contact to pay for one. But if you have the file name then its possible to Google it and see if its a download elsewhere.

Now to find how to load it to the B818 as reading other posts the local update from file does not work plus the file source is not certified so they may be duff too or even brick the B818.

Link to flashing tools, some have the same file names I use to successfully flash my B525.

Again, unverified, use at own risk.
I always intended to flash new firmware on to my B525 but was never sure whether it was worth the risk. Finding a safe reliable place to download firmware for huawei routers is difficult.
Easyfirmware.com seems a good place but you have to pay to access the files.

This is the file name I used to update the B525

B525s-23a_UPDATE_11.182.61.00.778_DBU.bin

It has Bridge mode which was what I was after, the only issue is it wants to update to a newer version, but if you do it loses Bridge mode and you have to reflash, guess how I know that ;) .

This is the file name I used to update the B525

B525s-23a_UPDATE_11.182.61.00.778_DBU.bin

It has Bridge mode which was what I was after, the only issue is it wants to update to a newer version, but if you do it loses Bridge mode and you have to reflash, guess how I know that ;) .
Well you had to update kommando828, it might have been newer firmware and still had your beloved bridge mode. :giggle:

Sadly, it was not to be. :(

But at least you tried. :cool:

But was your update intentional, or was it an accident, that's what we want to know. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The first flash was intentional to get bridge mode, seller had said it had bridge before I paid but it was missing. The French and Polish forums have lots of info missing in the UK, that's where, using google translate, I got all the information.

The first flash was intentional to get bridge mode, seller had said it had bridge before I paid but it was missing. The French and Polish forums have lots of info missing in the UK, that's where, using google translate, I got all the information.
Well done Sherlock.(y)

The signal inside my house with the B818 is not much different than that of the B525, which is to expected given the walls are mostly made of stone!
I'm going to order some adaptors to fit my antenna. Am I correct in saying that's I will need ts9 male to SMA female? The pigtail variety is better than the simple converters?

Another brief moment of testing...
I can confirm that bridge mode is present .
However no mention of VoLTE anywhere. View attachment 1563View attachment 1564
VoLTE on will general pass you to a lower frequency slow internet/landmass coverage 4G band (even on Three U.K. who has VoLTE on all 4G bands) which most people don’t know so it’s hardly surprising routers hide that option when consumers think it’s a good option to activate. It’s really not unless you know you have no 2/3G signal for calls.

The signal inside my house with the B818 is not much different than that of the B525, which is to expected given the walls are mostly made of stone!
I'm going to order some adaptors to fit my antenna. Am I correct in saying that's I will need ts9 male to SMA female? The pigtail variety is better than the simple converters?
That's unfortunate as the b818 is 4x4 mimo and using an antenna downgrades it to 2x2 possibly significantly affecting speeds.. What speed do you get if you keep it outside the window for example?

Re pigtails, yes get those, the ts9 sockets are very close to each other and the simple adapters are too thick, will make contact and short themselves.

VoLTE on will general pass you to a lower frequency slow internet/landmass coverage 4G band (even on Three U.K. who has VoLTE on all 4G bands) which most people don’t know so it’s hardly surprising routers hide that option when consumers think it’s a good option to activate. It’s really not unless you know you have no 2/3G signal for calls.
Using LTE H monitor to lock the bands stops this from happening, you need the router to work with the program of course.

I like to use the sim inclusive minutes, it would be nice for the router to stay in 4g rather than drop back to 3g during a call. Apparently some people have VoLTE enabled routers where this works successfully. Maybe not on all networks though?

That's unfortunate as the b818 is 4x4 mimo and using an antenna downgrades it to 2x2 possibly significantly affecting speeds.. What speed do you get if you keep it outside the window for example?

Re pigtails, yes get those, the ts9 sockets are very close to each other and the simple adapters are too thick, will make contact and short themselves.
Yes I'm aware that using an antenna downgrades to 2x2 mimo. I'm also aware of the router mod that's available to fit 4 sma antenna ports which I might consider doing at some point (maybe even do it myself, how hard can it be?🤔)

Sometime over the weekend I will be seen up a ladder, armed with extension lead and waving a router up in the air in one hand and analysing signal stats with my phone with the other!

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules