Sponsored Links

DNA branded B818

That's unfortunate as the b818 is 4x4 mimo and using an antenna downgrades it to 2x2 possibly significantly affecting speeds.. What speed do you get if you keep it outside the window for example?

Re pigtails, yes get those, the ts9 sockets are very close to each other and the simple adapters are too thick, will make contact and short themselves.
I got these.
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077JJPP1X

You're right Lucian, they're VERY close. I don't think they made contact but I filed flat edges to the knurled parts and aligned them in the B818 just to be sure.
I have repeatedly tested the router with and without antenna, with the router sited close to where the antenna is stuck to the window. Every time the signal strength shows an improvement when using the internal antennae, but signal quality is a bit better with the external, as is internet speed.
In my case therefore, 4xMIMO has no noticable advantage.

I like to use the sim inclusive minutes, it would be nice for the router to stay in 4g rather than drop back to 3g during a call. Apparently some people have VoLTE enabled routers where this works successfully. Maybe not on all networks though?
Yeah the anomalies between router firmware and networks is annoying.

I find the EU generally is poor at educating people on bands, if people knew more then that would have better results and stop churn, churn costs marketing & subsidises and we all pay more then.

Here in the U.K. most networks VoLTE is Band 20, Three UK had it on all bands now but most people don’t know that or that B20 defaulting will slow your speeds.

Some routers firmware are a pain and won’t auto reconnect to 4G after a call, some have outgoing calls only (engaged for incoming) but that could also be the networks as for some reason even with a active RJ11 to plug in a landline they don’t include mins, they rather you paid per minute which defies the point of Fixed Wireless Access as a landline replacement, esp here where copper lines are being phased out for digital over IP.

Hopefully 5G SA will modernise FWA to have VoLTE as standard when it’s available over 5G so we truly have a truly international approach to firmware allowing VoLTE calls (and then perhaps a choice of call/text allowances, using a app over Wi-fi for cheap international calls is another area of FWA let down.)

I mean if FWA is replacing broadband where is the bundles of calls/texts options including international like you can have with any landline provider. The Techs here the mobile telcos are still behind in product and marketing.

Hopefully 5G SA VoLTE will start pulling into a real FWA line and 4G routers firmware/plans will do the same.

Another option for using your inclusive minutes on a pay monthly phone sim in your router is to link the phone number with your Amazon Alexa - apparently only works for EE and Vodaphone at the moment. I have used it with an EE phone sim in a couple of routers, easy to set up and works. Although the Mrs. still prefers me using the cable from an old dect phone set into the RJ11 socket on the back of the router and phoning 'old school'. However, now that she has wifi calling on her mobile, it's all becoming a little meaningless.

Another option for using your inclusive minutes on a pay monthly phone sim in your router is to link the phone number with your Amazon Alexa - apparently only works for EE and Vodaphone at the moment. I have used it with an EE phone sim in a couple of routers, easy to set up and works. Although the Mrs. still prefers me using the cable from an old dect phone set into the RJ11 socket on the back of the router and phoning 'old school'. However, now that she has wifi calling on her mobile, it's all becoming a little meaningless.
I linked my three account and I can ring but not receive calls on it

Okay, so I've been using the B818 for a couple of weeks now.

I ordered some sma to ts9 adapters from ebay. After a small dispute with the ebay seller they finally arrived 10 days after so called being dispatched!
The adapters i have are right angle ones that push into the ts9 ports in the back. I now realise that i should have bought straight ones, there is very little room for manoeuvring the cables in the recess of the back of the B818.

(Why do they fit ts9 instead of sma ports on routers now? I don't like them! I prefer a solid screw connection every time! 🙂)

The RSRP value is the same as the B525, however the SINR is not so good, ranging from 0 to 4 dB (B3). On the B525 it was typically 4 to 9 dB.
Could the use of these adapter pigtails degrade the signal quality?

Strangely enough though I have 4 signal bars on the B818 compared to 3 on the B525.

The signal strength LEDS are a waste of time in my opinion. All 3 stay lit even when the signal strength is relatively poor!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211010-105519.jpg
    Screenshot_20211010-105519.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 72
Vodafone and EE are the only ones to 'officially' support it. You just add your phone number in the "Communication" tab of the alexa app and Amazon spoof your own number when you call out from your alexa to make it the same as your actual mobile.

I've heard that if voicemail is active incoming calls can go straight to voicemail instead of ringing. Worth checking?
no its just the nature of the service. You can only get incoming calls if on EE or Vodafone.

Vodafone and EE are the only ones to 'officially' support it. You just add your phone number in the "Communication" tab of the alexa app and Amazon spoof your own number when you call out from your alexa to make it the same as your actual mobile.
This spoofing is unbelievable, should have been fixed years ago.

This spoofing is unbelievable, should have been fixed years ago.
don't know how it works then. all I know is that I can call out from my alexa, even with my sim out of my phone, and the call goes through as my normal mobile number. this has worked with all the providers I've used. (asda, giffgaff, lebara, smarty and 3) even though none of them officially support it

don't know how it works then. all I know is that I can call out from my alexa, even with my sim out of my phone, and the call goes through as my normal mobile number. this has worked with all the providers I've used. (asda, giffgaff, lebara, smarty and 3) even though none of them officially support it
Yeah, because operators allow number spoofing. If this was email it would have been marked as spam. This allows me to ring you from Royal Courts of Justice apparent telephone number and demand payment for fictional tax evasion and countless other scams.

This isn’t really spoofing though. You have to add your own number, you can’t just add any.

Plus, the way you’re thinking of a call coming ‘from’ a number isn’t really very accurate anymore. Back in the old days, it was a line/number being connected but nowadays it’s very much a generic connection from the network - say Vodafone, for example, who are just adding a number to the call information to say who the call is coming from. In modern telephony whatever you’re calling from and the number presented to the person being called aren’t technically related.

That’s why when switching numbers isn’t really much of an issue, they’re just changing how your account is identified, nothing else such.

I think China is one of the very few places where number spoofing isn’t possible for security reasons. The UK would be best to get behind this. They can’t control international incoming calls, for obvious reasons, but if you spoof a Chinese phone number the call won’t deliver unless it’s actually coming from ‘that number’.

I haven't a clue how it works, I just prosumed that's what they did. if someone could enlighten me on how it works, I'd be very grateful

This isn’t really spoofing though. You have to add your own number, you can’t just add any.
That is an alexa specific feature. With the right system you can spoof any number (caller id?) you want, this shouldn't be possible.

With the right system you can spoof any number (caller id?) you want, this shouldn't be possible.
Yup - actually I think most VoIP services allow you to spoof just about any number. There really should be some sort of centralised system which verifies this (like the one China uses I mentioned). They take it to an extreme though as every number is linked to someone personally. Invasive, but they don’t have the same problems we have with spam and scam calls.

@Martin.S ,Hello,did yo managed to update your B818-263 DNA to the latest version (11. ...).

No, still on the same firmware it was supplied with. Haven't bothered looking for quite a while if an update is available.
Maybe I should upgrade to a newer router but the only 5g available around here that I'm aware of is on n28 EE , so maybe not worth it ( I'm still using Three)

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules