Sponsored Links

DNS and DHCP over Bridged connection

kale99

Casual Member
Good Day,
I have a vodafone modem in the upstairs of my flat. In order to get a wired and a wireless connection properly downstairs, i bought myself a Netgear nighthawk R7000 and configured it into bridge mode, connected that wired connection from the R7000 bridge ( connected to the vodafone wifi 5g ) to another AP (netgear EX6120) to connect to all my devices.

Since ive done this, iv had some issues with my devices dropping connections very frequently, not all at once, but one may drop and the other may be connecting perfectly. it would drop and reconnect sometimes, otherwise i would have to reset my laptops wireless, or manually assign it the default gateway and an IP address ( this would work for for that moment, but it may lose connection again, where in that case removing the manual ip assignment ma fix it ).

Whats more weird is, if i connect directly to the main router, i experience he same issue. so it is hard to identify if its the wireless bridge that is causing this or if the router itself is having an issue.

Is there something that i should know about when it comes to connecting a bridge to a vodafone router?

Thanks

I bridge connect to Vodafone on a Mikrotik in bridge mode and the router is a Draytek 2925, have none of the issues you mention. So it's likely not Vodafone related. I would be looking in the router log files and seeing how long it keeps the assigned Vodafone IP address, I am currently on 36 hours. If you are losing DHCP addresses assigned by the router then it likely to be the EX6120 router at fault, try fixed IP addresses. The R7000 should be acting as a dumb box in bridge mode, it just blindly passes on the Voda IP to the EX6120.

Thanks for the response. I had a feeling its the EX6120's fault. I ordered another Netgear R6850 to replace the ex6120 as the AP, will update on the behavior after that.

in regards to the errors on the voda router, there seems to be alot of them repeating over n over.

The three ones that come up over and over is a firewall error that says,

"Drop Wan in : IN pppoe-wan OUT= MAC= SRC= .... " with a bunch of other numbers and details

the other one is

"Failed to send DHCPV6 message to ff02::1:2 (Permission denied)"

and the final one that comes up, but not as often,

"Ignoring domain COMSEC.INT for DHCP host name L1029"

im pretty sure these errors directly relate to what is going on, i just dont know why its happening.

any suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
Drop Wan in : IN pppoe-wan OUT= MAC= SRC= ....

Could be the issue, don't think the other 2 are related.

What are the times between the Drop Wan in messages ?

My Wan session with Voda on Wan1 is now 42 hours old.

Not sure how to check how long the Wan session is on for, but there is a Drop Wan message about every minute or 2 according to the log

what do you mean ?

Iv also been getting these messages

1602282697103.png

Sponsored Links
Edited the message, looks like your wan connection is not stable. Your wan settings need reviewing, it should be set as a simple accept IP from server, no username or password needed.

The only other possible point of failure i could think of that i possibly did not mention, is that the voda's wifi is set to merge both the 2ghz and the 5ghz connections and give them the same ssid. On my R7000 i am trying to connect to that ssid using the 5ghz band. im not sure if the voda is trying to do some smart swiching between bands which is complicating my connection or not or if it matters.

there is nowhere in any of the routers ( cuz the r7000 is in bridge mode ) to adjust any WAN settings

The R7000 is a dumb box when in bridge mode so you can't access the WAN settings as there are none to set, I thought the EX6120 was your next router and so would be taking the Voda IP and providing firewall and NAT etc but I now see its just an AP so why do you have the R7000 in bridge mode ?

Sponsored Links
the R7000 is in bridge mode because it picks up the wifi better than the EX6120, and i can get a direct wired connection to my ps4 from it as well as a connection to the EX

UPDATE:
Just replace the EX with a Netgear R6850. Going to monitor it for a day or two and see if it drops any of my devices.

Currently its configured as a normal router, its ip is 192.168.2.x , while the main router ip is 192.168.1.x. I havnt ran into any issue with having them on diff subnets, the router seems to be doing its job quite fine so far.

i will keep you updated.

update :
Since i switch from the EX to the new Netgear router, Im using the router as a normal router, letting it assign ip addresses on a different subnet etc. but it still dropped out ever so often, and it never seemed to want to load Instagram stories and media properly.

I figured ok, last resort, let me try connecting to the 2ghz side of the main router vs the 5ghz, cuz maybe the 5ghz signal just isnt strong enough and the packets are getting lost or something.

Did that, and it has been about a day now and there hasnt been one single drop out and IG is working smooth.

My conclusions are that the 5ghz wifi was indeed not strong or stable enough to maintain the bridge, and the main router and the ex just didnt know what to do when it didnt receive all the packets they expected.

Initially i didnt go with the 2ghz band because there are so many 2ghz wifi around ( neighbors etc ) that i was experiencing alot of conflicts, but it looks like the netgear is picking up on the 2ghz much better than the devices thanks to its antennas.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules