Sponsored

DNS problems

Old dude

ULTIMATE Member
Recently Ive been having really annoying net access. Its been very slow, and pages often time out. After messing about with cable, a different router, different filter, laptop and desktop, I saw that downloads appeared to be fine. So changed to the famed open DNS, and all (touch wood) seems fine.

Anyone else on eclipse having DNS problems?

Captain_Cretin

ULTIMATE Member
Been having DNs problems with Vispa until outage yesterday, everything works now.
Voice line died and internet went into TURBO mode, it was great until the voice line came back a few hours later.

Old dude

ULTIMATE Member
Ok, now I have a really really odd problem.

No sooner had I posted that when my connection went. Downloads wouldnt work, nor anything else.

It appears it wasnt DNS afterall.

Symptoms:

When I restart my PC, I can look at webpages for about 2 mins, maybe less. The time varies. Then it gets slower, and dies.

Things I have tried:

Changed router, changed cable, used the laptop as well as the desktop, done it right from the master socket, used open DNS.

Currently, Im posting this on my vista installation, and it seems to work fine.

Now that to me would suggest I have problems with both installations of XP on my laptop and desktop. But they both have antivirus, one having NOD32 and the other having avast.

Both have the XP firewall running, and the AV definations are always uptodate. Ive run tests on the desktop, AV tests, spyware tests, hijack this, lots.

Heres a speedtest from the Vista installation on my desktop (its dual boot).

Im going to try getting my pclinuxOS to connect on my laptop....but any ideas? Im well confused on this one.

Edit: Take it back, just rebooted into my XP installs and its working. Arrrghh! Hopefully it stays up.

Last edited:

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
do you see high load on the processes? and do you have a bucket load of sites within your hosts file.

Old dude

ULTIMATE Member
Nope, checked processes, and the vista installation was a false positive. It must have started working sometime inbetween boots, cos Im back on the XP boot now and its working fine.

I can only assume Eclipse had problems and sorted it :shrug:

But trust it to last the weekend and suddeny fix as soon as I boot into Vista!

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
hmm l guess l was off... prolly something network related.

sheedatali

Pro Member
May be worth trying to run your own Caching DNS server to check if this is the cause of the problem. You can always confirm DNS lookup times at command prompt, I doubt that it is the case.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Plusnet £21.99 (*34.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £75 Cashback
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2539)
  2. FTTP (2260)
  3. FTTC (1680)
  4. Building Digital UK (1618)
  5. Politics (1448)
  6. Openreach (1433)
  7. Business (1261)
  8. Statistics (1115)
  9. FTTH (1107)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1059)
  11. Fibre Optic (978)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (925)
  13. Wireless Internet (921)
  14. 4G (919)
  15. Virgin Media (871)
  16. EE (606)
  17. Sky Broadband (602)
  18. TalkTalk (587)
  19. Vodafone (535)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules