Sponsored Links

Do Freeserve want ADSL customers?

I have a had a right 'to do' with Freeserve. I ordered broadband on 13th April. I have been an 'anytime' customer and was taking advantage of the £19.99 migration offer to keep me sweet, mainly becasue I was on the verge of joining Tiscali. The registration process has a glitch and eventually all the order went through on 15th April. I was told my free modem would arrive on Monday and in 10 days I'd be fired up and ready to go.

I rang up yesterday (Sunday 25th) to see what was going on....

1- Oh, the order went through but no-one told BT to activate your number. It's best you cancel and start again. I'll put you through to an advisor.

2- You haven't received your free modem because you cancelled the order.

Me: When did I cancel the order?

F/serve: Today.

Me: You told me to!

F/S: I'll pass you on to someone.

3- You cancelled your order on the 25th.

Me: You told me this.

F/S: It was cancelled on the 19th automatically.

Me: Why?

F/S: It's just automatic. As is the order going through to BT.

Me: I was told no-one told BT.

F/S: Your address doesn't come up on our system.

Me: It did 10 minutes ago.

F/S: Your area isn't broadband enabled.

Me: Er.... yes it is.

F/S: You'll have to re-register.

Me: Okay

F/S: Are you a new customer or an anytime migrant?

Me: Anytime migrant.

F/S: We've run out of offer codes. Ring back tomorrow.

Me: This is your problem. Find one!

F/S: We can't. Oh, hang on! This code works.

5 minutes later.

F/S: There's a problem with the final page of the registration process. It's something we are aware of with other customers. Ring back tomorrow.

This is a shambles. Is there anyone else there who has had shenanigans with Freeserve? I can no longer access my FSMail account because, according to Freeserve, I accessed it too much!

So who shall I go for? Tiscali, Demon or another with free modem and connection and £20 per month? Speed is not important. An always on connection is more important as we don't download a great deal.

Neil

I expect norfet will be in here defending freeserve quite soon, in the mean time, hmmmm, bit of a cock-up.Still, anything is beter than Tiscali, never,ever give Tiscali access to your bank account.
Why not try looking at the "Top Ten" list on here; lots of good firms like Nildram, Pipex etc.

Pipex looks a distinct possibility!

Tiscali appear to have very little of the country available at 3x!

Neil

Sponsored Links
Captain Cretin Please don't post in a way to create problems.

Nolly look at NDO they had an offer on of a free modem not sure if its still on though.. But worth a look.

Before you decide I should also check Fast 24, Firenet, Firefly, Vispa. Not all have offers but some do have realy good customer services..

Well they do seem to have messed up here :(

Shame, as FS's Broadband service once on it is alright.

Maybe try getting them to clear all off so back to anytime, and then try registering online with the codes they gave you?

:confused:

Sponsored Links
It seems that FS didn't really have a clear idea of the problem so tried to fob Nolly off or pass the buck to another support dept. That's not exactly unusual will large call-centres in any company, but it is annoying.

norfett said:

Shame, as FS's Broadband service once on it is alright.

Maybe try getting them to clear all off so back to anytime, and then try registering online with the codes they gave you?

I found FS BB nether particularly good nor particularly bad, but given the choice between them and Tiscali, FS win every time - there are simply too many recent horror stories on this site about Tiscali, and if nothing else FS was pretty reliable.

That depends on the sites you visit. If there are loads of images that haven't been optimised then these will be relatively large, though over bb proably not noticably slow.

Also some sites pre-load programs on each visit, presumably to to monitor your usage of the site (HP used to do this, and it took an age to load over 56k).

Don't forget that emails will also make a difference if you regularly recieve attachements and/or large amounts of spam. Also how often you update your OS, AV, Firewall could make a big difference.

It's probably impossible to make an accurate guess as each person's usage is different from the next.

Does anyone know of a program that sits on the PC and keeps track of the amount of data downloaded between specific times? I guess the best way of deciding whether 2Gb cap is ok for you is to analyse you own usage.

Last edited:
does anyone know or can anyone find out what hapens after the 2gb cap is exceeded, cos i cant find it anywhere and the staff dont seem to know as ive asked a few and got different answers???

Sponsored Links
akbray asked
Does anyone know of a program that sits on the PC and keeps track of the amount of data downloaded...
I very recently came across a program called NetStat which seems to be quite good.
It’s free and a download is available here:

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/nsl.htm

jack_daniels asked:
does anyone know or can anyone find out what hapens after the 2gb cap is exceeded

Wanadoo’s webpage concerning useage
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/popup/time/dart/whatmean.htm
states this:
You may use your Broadband connection freely up to these usage allowances. These usage allowances will not be applied until later in 2004. If you reach your monthly allowance after this date your service will be restricted until the end of the monthly period. You will also have the option to upgrade to a service with a larger usage allowance[

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules