Sponsored Links

Do you trigger more captcha windows with mobile routers?

beneaththeocean

Casual Member
Hi all,

Just wanted to see what other users' experience is with their mobile routers.

Are you confronted with Google's captcha (and other providers' captchas) when online?

On our 4G home internet with a Huawei B618 on an EE mobile sim we seem to trip it every time when we go onto Google search and we then have to complete at least 2 rounds of clicking images. This is of course slightly annoying for the person using Google search (not me fortunately), but it happens on other websites as well.

I was wondering whether Google/others can detect it is from a 4G sim and then perhaps compares all our activity with that of a phone with 4G rather than a home network? I guess if other people are experiencing this as well I'm not too worried. The alternative thought I have is whether our network has been infected and one of our machines is perhaps sending out a lot of internet queries. I did notice in our 4G router logs that it warns about port scan attacks from two IP addresses, one an internal one (although I don't recognise which device?) and another external (109.249.185.229). However reading online people don't seem to be that alarmed by port scan attacks...

Any thoughts people can spare would be greatly appreciated.

I use 3/smarty and do not see this.

Sponsored Links
Ive only ever seen them on older versions of chrome with vodafone. none with three and when I had asda and hotspotted from my phone (EE at the time, now vodafone) it was unusable. i used bing instead.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks a lot for all your responses! Makes me kind of think the alternative thought I had isn't valid, that's a relief!

And sounds like it may be an EE thing? Maybe they inherited a "bad" range of IP addresses? :p

Do you use a VPN by any chance?
Yes but on one machine only. The machine without a VPN (ever) has the same issue, more so actually as the VPN machine doesn't really use Google.. :)

Sponsored Links
Been using three as my main ISP since the end of January, I haven't seen a single captcha on google. But then, I am logged in on my browser (chrome)

Get it all the time on google searches on my phone using the wifi from the B535, I presume its because I have to use the three.co.uk APN, if I could use the 3internet APN it wouldn't happen.

I also saw them on the older versions of Chrome with Vodafone. Since we got the newer updates for Chrome, I've never seen them again. I guess the older versions weren't optimized well. Moreover, if you have ever experienced that, it means that Google tried to detect what kind of a sim you are using and see how it works in their network. Basically, they collect your data and make different tests with it. If you want to prevent all those things, you can use some rotating proxies from proxycrawl.com. I've been using their services for the last couple of months, and it seems to be ok.

Last edited:
It used to be an absolute plague when we were on Smarty, sometime having to go through them up to six times to log into Paypal for example. I am pretty sure that was due to Smarty's CGNAT that changed the IP almost on a second by second basis.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Just wanted to see what other users' experience is with their mobile routers.

Are you confronted with Google's captcha (and other providers' captchas) when online?

On our 4G home internet with a Huawei B618 on an EE mobile sim we seem to trip it every time when we go onto Google search and we then have to complete at least 2 rounds of clicking images. This is of course slightly annoying for the person using Google search (not me fortunately), but it happens on other websites as well.

I was wondering whether Google/others can detect it is from a 4G sim and then perhaps compares all our activity with that of a phone with 4G rather than a home network? I guess if other people are experiencing this as well I'm not too worried. The alternative thought I have is whether our network has been infected and one of our machines is perhaps sending out a lot of internet queries. I did notice in our 4G router logs that it warns about port scan attacks from two IP addresses, one an internal one (although I don't recognise which device?) and another external (109.249.185.229). However reading online people don't seem to be that alarmed by port scan attacks...

Any thoughts people can spare would be greatly appreciated.
uBlock-origin will block them.

It used to be an absolute plague when we were on Smarty, sometime having to go through them up to six times to log into Paypal for example. I am pretty sure that was due to Smarty's CGNAT that changed the IP almost on a second by second basis.
I think that may be it. Fixed line ISPs keep an IP for longer periods and web sources build up a snapshot of that IP so repeat captchas are unnecessary.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules