Sponsored

Does anyone know what this is? Fibre optic?

mkso93

Hi all,

I have just moved out of a house that had an 8 year tenancy but myself and my housemates have only been living there for about 2 years. We're in the process of having our deposit returned but the landlord is trying to charge us ~£900 for "unauthorised electric work". There has apparently been damage to the original telephone line and holes drilled into bedrooms with wires. We have no idea what it is, and neither do previous tenants.

Looking at the pictures, does anyone know what kind of cabling this is and why it would be required in every room? If so, what is the average cost to both install and remove this kind of cabling?

Thanks!

Attachments

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
White cable could just as easily be power, while black could be anything. What would really help is to know what is fully written on them, especially the black one.

pxpik

Hi all,

I have just moved out of a house that had an 8 year tenancy but myself and my housemates have only been living there for about 2 years. We're in the process of having our deposit returned but the landlord is trying to charge us ~£900 for "unauthorised electric work". There has apparently been damage to the original telephone line and holes drilled into bedrooms with wires. We have no idea what it is, and neither do previous tenants.

Looking at the pictures, does anyone know what kind of cabling this is and why it would be required in every room? If so, what is the average cost to both install and remove this kind of cabling?

Thanks!
I don't think it is fibre - might be cable for tv or virgin

TTJJ

Pro Member
I think this is Sky’s satellite cables - the white double one.
The black one looks like their extension to connect the box to the phone line.

Reactions: Mel

drsox

ULTIMATE Member
I agree with both these.

Black cable looks like phone type cable, white "shotgun" cable looks like Sky TV box to satellite dish cable. (Or less likely but possible - virgin media TV?).

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Does look like a sky box install.

The manufacturing date on the white shotgun cable 05 or 06/12/11 would suggest it has been there quite a long time.

£900 to remove it and put the decoration right seems steep to me, it looks like the place badly needs a fresh coat of paint anyway.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Does look like a sky box install.

The manufacturing date on the white shotgun cable 05 or 06/12/11 would suggest it has been there quite a long time.

£900 to remove it and put the decoration right seems steep to me, it looks like the place badly needs a fresh coat of paint anyway.
Yeah a bit of filler or render for the holes, primer and then a touch of paint. Job done. Not seeing how they get to £900.

drsox

ULTIMATE Member
If you request a copy of the check-in report to compare with their check-out report it may identify if they were added during the 8 year tenancy?
It should contain photos of the state of each room, fixtures and fittings.

They will have a hard time claiming your deposit without proof.. don't give up unless you find out it did happen during your tenancy.

mkso93

Great - thanks so much everyone for your input!

Looking at the check in document it does look like it was done during the tenancy. But as it was so long ago we can't get any more info about it.

£900 is definitely steep, so we're looking for a more realistic figure to propose to the landlord. Any idea on how much it'd cost to actually remove the wiring?

drsox

ULTIMATE Member
Remove wiring would take minutes. Snip the wire, pull it through throw away.
Plastering up the hole and repainting that bit with the same colour would take an hour or two?
Plus the plaster and paint.

£900 is a huge price.

I expect a handyman type person would do it for less than £100, probably far less! Easiest job of the month.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £19.95 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPER20
  • NOW TV £22.00 (*40.00)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.95
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2690)
  2. FTTP (2529)
  3. FTTC (1738)
  4. Building Digital UK (1677)
  5. Politics (1571)
  6. Openreach (1537)
  7. Business (1352)
  8. FTTH (1274)
  9. Statistics (1186)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1154)
  11. Fibre Optic (1033)
  12. 4G (997)
  13. Wireless Internet (984)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (983)
  15. Virgin Media (960)
  16. EE (664)
  17. Sky Broadband (648)
  18. TalkTalk (631)
  19. Vodafone (623)
  20. 5G (457)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules