Sponsored

Does BT offer a wireless router with 2.5G ports?

Meatball

ULTIMATE Member
BT Business does (various speeds supported) with wired router kit but not for BT Consumer.

BT Consumer will be launching a new broadband Smart Hub shortly but as Openreach are someway from implementing a XGS-PON overlay it may be the hub after that that will support it . But I had assumed it would only be in association with a BT Business product and appropriate OR ONT/Product first.

Although some hubs out there support a SFP module or 2.5Gbps ethernet port its often at the cost of other the other 1 gig ports.

Commercial products available but likely to be wired router and WIFI APs combinations.

BT Business does (various speeds supported) with wired router kit but not for BT Consumer.

BT Consumer will be launching a new broadband Smart Hub shortly but as Openreach are someway from implementing a XGS-PON overlay it may be the hub after that that will support it . But I had assumed it would only be in association with a BT Business product and appropriate OR ONT/Product first.

Although some hubs out there support a SFP module or 2.5Gbps ethernet port its often at the cost of other the other 1 gig ports.

Commercial products available but likely to be wired router and WIFI APs combinations.

Very informative, thank you!

I ask, because I have two PCs with 2.5 Gpbs network ports connected to a Smart Hub ("Home Hub 6"), which is only 1 Gbps, so of course I'm only getting 1 Gbps speeds. It's a shame.

Pheasant

ULTIMATE Member
Very informative, thank you!

I ask, because I have two PCs with 2.5 Gpbs network ports connected to a Smart Hub ("Home Hub 6"), which is only 1 Gbps, so of course I'm only getting 1 Gbps speeds. It's a shame.
If you wanted / needed to leverage the higher speeds LAN to LAN for example moving media files to / from a network storage unit, you could get a small 2.5/5/10Gbps capable switch. Some of the small Mikrotik CRS range have 4 SFP+ ports in which you can slot in a copper pluggable to give you the higher speeds. They are fairly cheap, punchy and quiet (passively cooled).

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
I doubt the Smart Hub 3 will support 2.5G as ISPs only tend to add this when they have near-term plans for broadband packages beyond 1Gbps. This is why Virgin Media's HUB 5 can do it. But Openreach's FTTP network has not presently revealed any plans for going beyond 1Gbps, which is something we'd be likely to hear about 1-2 years in advance due to the need for new trials and other capacity products.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Shell Energy £20.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £22.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £75 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £20.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00
    Speed: 158Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Virgin Media £27.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4201)
  2. BT (3180)
  3. Politics (2148)
  4. Building Digital UK (2041)
  5. Openreach (1995)
  6. FTTC (1931)
  7. Business (1866)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1629)
  9. Statistics (1525)
  10. 4G (1397)
  11. FTTH (1372)
  12. Virgin Media (1301)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1250)
  14. Fibre Optic (1246)
  15. Wireless Internet (1244)
  16. Vodafone (939)
  17. 5G (923)
  18. EE (920)
  19. TalkTalk (831)
  20. Sky Broadband (794)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules