Sponsored Links

Domain Registration fees

TheShrew

I am being charged a registration fee for co.uk of £35 and £50 .com. This is from a local chap that is currently looking after me and I have no idea if this is normal or not. I do know when I asked him for a simple website I was gobsmacked at the costs and didn’t take it up. I have tried independently to verify the costs but its only served to confuse me.
We are a really small business and I can’t justify a massive outlay but if I also see that there are packages for websites which seem to include hosting for about £85 a year but again I have no idea if this is ridiculously cheap or I am being naive? Can someone point me in the right direction with pitfalls or areas I should check carefully before committing please or maybe a site for dummies just like me!!

The hosting companies tend to offer a really low rate for the 1st year, then stiff you afterwards.
It used to be you could get your domain for as little as £1.99 per year, but those days are long gone now the people running the registry have become so greedy; the prices you quote are about right.

We have been looking at getting a better shopping website done, and are being quoted over £4,000 for a tarted up version of what we already have!!!

Sponsored Links
I think .co.uk is usually around £10 per year (outside of first year discounts) but it will vary a little between hosts. £35 is clearly too much and you should always make sure that it's you who own the domain, not a third-party.

I think .co.uk is usually around £10 per year (outside of first year discounts) but it will vary a little between hosts. £35 is clearly too much and you should always make sure that it's you who own the domain, not a third-party.

If you buy it on its own, yes, but I have been quoted similar prices for renewal by the hosting company we use, and another hosting company quoted my sister much the same for her .co.uk domain.

I think it depends how much of an effort you want to put in, the hosting companies do it all for you - at a price.

Most hosting packages now come with built in tools to build websites, Im not in to hosting but £85 a year if your willing to put the work in and build it yourself and set up the email addresses etc isn't a bad deal.

Have you thought about something like Squarespace or similar? Work out about £180 per year, you design the site yourself using their templates.

Or you could host a Wordpress site, though you'll need some technical know-how to get it running, though some hosting places will now deploy Wordpress at the press of a button. You'll need to find a theme that you like, or pay someone to design one and upload to the site.

Many options available to you. I have used Hostgator in the US for years now, only had one problem and their support has been top.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Sky Broadband UK ISP Logo
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5443)
  2. BT (3497)
  3. Politics (2513)
  4. Openreach (2285)
  5. Business (2242)
  6. Building Digital UK (2226)
  7. FTTC (2040)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1954)
  9. Statistics (1770)
  10. 4G (1648)
  11. Virgin Media (1603)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1446)
  13. Wireless Internet (1384)
  14. Fibre Optic (1384)
  15. FTTH (1380)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules