Sponsored Links

Draytek + Mikrotik + BT whole home, 95% of the way there!

Cluckingdeath

All,
After the superb advice received on here about hardware etc I now have my setup mostly working. However this final puzzle is giving me a literal headache.

I am running DSL plus EE 4G (Mikrotik SXT6) into a draytek vigor (non WiFi) which then feeds our BT whole home. The Mikrotik is in bridge mode and the Draytek is set with a gateway IP of the Mikrotik

I’m trying to configure the draytek using the routing / load balancing policies.

My intended outcome is:

1- my virtual servers route down the DSL line (WAN1) done by directing their fixed IPs to WAN1- priority 1

2- everything else goes down WAN2 (4G) with fail this over to WAN1 priority 50

So I have my routes set up for the virtual servers fine, then I have a catch all route set up with ANY ANY in the source and a priority of 50.
For a while this seemed to work, until a device rebooted then it doesn't seem to be able to connect to the internet. If I pick this device and force it to WAN1 it works...

If I kill WAN 1 and turn off all the routing, everything works fine.

The solution I have found is that if I add the Mikrotik IP address as a DNS server to my devices then they work absolutely fine but I can’t add it to some devices etc so it’s not a long term solution.

Under LAN-General Setup set you DNS servers to Google or whatever you choose. It was a while ago now but I had a similar problem with a triple wan setup, doing this sorted it. I guess each WAN would supply its own DNS unless changed by this setup.

I found I had to add a rule to the Mikrotik so it only connected to one specified MAC address in bridge mode which is the MAC address for the Draytek WAN port it connects too. If not then if any other MAC address responds before the Draytek then the Draytek could not connect.

Sponsored Links
I found I had to add a rule to the Mikrotik so it only connected to one specified MAC address in bridge mode which is the MAC address for the Draytek WAN port it connects too. If not then if any other MAC address responds before the Draytek then the Draytek could not connect.
Aha! That sounds exactly like what it could be, I will test it thank you

If you do not set a specific MAC then the Mikrotik fixes on the first MAC that responds and ignores all other MAC's until rebooted.

Ok I’ve set the Draytek WAN2 port to a specific MAC, where exactly did you configure it on the Mikrotik if you don’t mind me asking?

edit: RTFM and think I have it

Ok so checked that auto-Mac was 0 on the bridge, set the admin Mac to the Mac I had given the port in the Draytek and now it’s dead to me 🤣 so I guess I need to get in the loft and hook into ether2 to get back into the admin settings

Sponsored Links
2 possible solutions

Edit the EE APN to remove IPV6

Set a Draytek routing rule blocking all traffic to WAN1, then reboot the Mikrotik, when the Draytek gets the EE assigned IP address showing its bridged to the Mikrotik turn the routing rule off. No reboot is needed for turning on or off routing rules.

Routing >> Load-Balance/Route Policy

Sponsored Links
Yeah I did attempt it again by switching the IPv6 off on the APN on the Mikrotik and also the NAT but then it stopped responding totally.
I just need to set aside a proper chunk of time to try this rather than little bits here and there around the family!
Edit: but actually that not responding could have been the MAC issue. So yep maybe disconnect everything else incl the dsl from the Draytek, route the APN without IPv6 onto ether2 and adjust the LAN

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules