Sponsored Links

DSLChecker status amber

Hi

So today after months of checking, GFast has appeared on my line however with a status of Amber (whereas other products like FTTPoD have a status of available). openreach's fibre checker (not the DSL checker) says I can order ultrafast.

So anyone know what status of Amber means?

And it's saying I have a chance of getting 180mbit clean. But they don't offer that speed so I guess im going to have to take the lower tier 150mbit one ??

In simple terms a status of "Amber" means there may be some uncertainty about the service's availability to your line. There is some debate about whether this reflects either available capacity or an issue with estimated line speed. Certainly I've seen a couple of ISPs give conflicting advice on it.

But since I've seen different lines on the same G.fast pod reporting a different status then for now I'm leaning more toward it being a question mark over your line performance.

If on the BT Wholesale broadband checker it shows Amber and one of the downstream estimates is below or very near to the 100Mbps G.fast fault threshold (e.g. Range B Impacted) then that's probably the reason. Some ISPs may reject your order as a result, so it's best to check first.

Hi Mark. Thanks! the lowest speed it shows in the impacted column is 154mbit. Here are my results (yes my phone num really does start 012345)

QzQgDuM.jpg

Next to choose an ISP...

Sponsored Links
ah right thanks well if my VDSL is any measure to go by, I get 78mbit so pretty close to the clean figures only one way to find out I suppose.

VDSL2 comes from a DSLAM FTTC cabinet, while G.fast comes from the PCP cabinet. The cabinets are usually fairly close to each other but of course G.fast is very sensitive to distance, so you can't really use VDSL performance as a guide.

I had G.fast shown as on my line but in amber state I can no longer see G.fast showing for me amber means you could be below the speed that BT have put as 100Mbps fault threshold so if it shows as below 100Mbps then you cannot get G.fast. I have had talks with BT over this on my line, the distance from the cabinet is crap for this product.

Sponsored Links
placed an order with EE they also had a minimal service guarantee of 86.5Mbit so we will see what happens I guess.

i seem to have this odd 'amber' status but i'm due to have g.fast installed next week - hope it will be ok

Doesn't look like performance will be a problem on your line, so it may be another issue with limited capacity at the G.fast pod. Please let us know what happens boliston.

Originally I had amber for G.fast then it changed to speeds lower than my FTTC then they removed the G.fast for my home and line. I am just two poles from the cabinet.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't look like performance will be a problem on your line, so it may be another issue with limited capacity at the G.fast pod. Please let us know what happens boliston.
I had the install yesterday and the engineer said the line was faulty - I live in a block of flats so he had to do checks on the wiring in the communal parts and after 3 hours of tweaking wires in the street cabinet (it's right outside my block) he said the problem was at the exchange - the amber flag has now been removed from the test result:

The Amber status has been queried on the BT community forum and the response from a Moderator who had emailed the G.Fast product manager in BT Wholesale was
"To clarify the amber result simply means that Openreach are recommending that the G.Fast install is done by an engineer rather than the self install option that is being trialled by them at the moment, it won't prevent you from ordering and doesn't indicate any issues with the line "

Except when they start with G.fast showing on your telephone number as amber then they remove it and make it that your number can no longer order G.fast.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Sky Broadband UK ISP Logo
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5444)
  2. BT (3497)
  3. Politics (2513)
  4. Openreach (2285)
  5. Business (2242)
  6. Building Digital UK (2227)
  7. FTTC (2040)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1955)
  9. Statistics (1770)
  10. 4G (1649)
  11. Virgin Media (1603)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1446)
  13. Wireless Internet (1384)
  14. Fibre Optic (1384)
  15. FTTH (1380)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules