Sponsored Links

Dual SIM failover on pixel 5

Tom153619

Top Member
Hi, I have a pixel 5 with a 3 SIM and an o2 esim running in dual SIM and wondered if anyone knew if it is possible for it to automatically switch to the second SIM when one is out of service, or is the only way to manually switch which SIM is used for data.

My phone is also rooted if that would make a difference
Thanks

Hi, I have a pixel 5 with a 3 SIM and an o2 esim running in dual SIM and wondered if anyone knew if it is possible for it to automatically switch to the second SIM when one is out of service, or is the only way to manually switch which SIM is used for data.

My phone is also rooted if that would make a difference
Thanks
I thought it was meant to do this by its self? I don't personally have a pixel but my Samsung does this be default where in that if my main data SIM fails to connect/is out of range, it defaults to the other sim and routes all main SIM calls through the data connection of the other sim (essentially WiFi calling via data connection 2)

I could be very wrong on this, but my understanding is that when you have dual-SIMs then both SIMs are active at the same time on modern Smartphones ('Dual SIM Dual Active'). So it's less a case of the connection being a 'failover' to the other SIM and more a case that the other SIM was already active, albeit with a similar outcome.

But I think some mobiles are also 'Dual SIM Dual Standby', where SIM2 is inactive if SIM1 is in use and vice versa. As I say, it's been a few years since I had to ponder this, so I might be wrong and things may have changed.

Sponsored Links
The last dual sim phone I had many years ago was one where you assigned a default data sim and if that did not connect then the second one came online.

Dual SIM Dual Active is where there is two radios and both SIMs can be used. Problem is they make phones more expensive. So most are made using Dual Stand-By including the S20 range. To provide the ability for both SIM numbers to work simultaneously Samsung (since S8 I think) as Bubblethefish6 highlights they depend on the use of VoLTE/VoWIFI concepts to maintain the second SIM calling functions but my understanding it has to have at least a 4G data signal. 3G or a provider not supporting VoLTE/VoWIFI for the device it will be manual SIM switch.

As Kommando828 suggests the S20 may be able to switch the 4G data to the other SIM if there is no connection at all but it may not be intelligent enough to determine the connection quality. I can't find anything to support that from Samsung.

Base line is Dual SIM phones come in different levels of implementation
If switching data was easy or commercially desirable (phone or provider) then it would already be in Android.
Some have apparently achieved SIM switching using Tasker, Automate etc if Rooted (and macros such as Autoinput when not) but I personally have never been able to replicate it on phones I have.

Simplest option for Failover data may be to try two devices Router/Phone, MIFI/Phone or Phone/Phone. Use the first device for primary data. Connect second device to WIFI. Some phones will connect to the WIFI (calls via WIFI Calling) but detect there is no Internet/Call functionality and switch back to their own SIM if the primary connection fails.

If it happens too often then you have the wrong provider. SIM providers need to be on networks unlikely to share the same masts.

Samsung Galaxy A20e has Intelligent WIFI setting "Switch To mobile data"
Samsung A22 5G has Intelligent WIFI setting "Switch To mobile data"
Huawei P30 PRO has WIFI+ setting
Nothing equivalent appears on MOTO G50 5G (Calls revert to SIM)

iPhone 13 mini has WIFI Assist but doesn't work as its based on signal level not internet connectivity. (Calls revert to SIM)

Last edited:
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules