Sponsored

Eclipse - Do they care about their Users

alan.w

For almost 6 months now - Eclipse having been having MAJOR E-mail problems - which have seriously impacted their Users ability to receive e-mails - something that must be an absolute fundemental !!

Today we are told that they are awaiting a delivery date from a Hardware Supplier for some new Hardware - and that there will be no update given to users on the progress of any resolution to this problem until the 8th January 2007.

As a Professional - I think I could replace Eclipse's Hardware in total in that time and not just a single element. Nowadays ISP's have backup options to fall back on - and if really pushed can resolve problems with Hardware that is readily available. I know of one Major ISP who replaced their entire E-Mail Server Requirements overnight !! - transparent to their Users.

I wonder whether there aren't more fundemental problems at Eclipse !!

I would be interested in any Eclipse Users experiencing these problems.

Old dude

ULTIMATE Member
I am an eclipse user, although I dont use their email, precisly in case of things like this!

I am concerned to hear this however. There have been rumblings of problems since kingston took over.

I havent had any problems, but Im not on an LLU exchange. Hopefully they get this sorted.

I will take this chance once again to say to people not to use an ISP's email. Even a high rated ISP like eclipse has problems. The free providers (bar hotmail) are much more reliable. Plus you dont get the hassle of changing if you move ISP.

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
I use Eclipse and I am on LLU, though I tried to stop them transferring me.

I have had no problems with either connection or email (with the exception of loads of spam recently, as they've started spoofing my address, so I get loads of delivery error emails).

I have my own domain that most of my emails go to anyway, I just heven't gotten round to switching my email address off.

nodrog

ULTIMATE Member
ive been with eclipse for 10 months now only had one or two days that i couldnt get emails but only lasted a few hours each time. they wanted to put me on llu recently but i have opted out so will stay on bt stream, makes it easier if i decide to migrate away.

bandrat

So it's not just me then....

I am trying to establish the extent to which Eclipse Customers are impacted by their failure to provide a reliable and resilient email (POP3) service.
They have had a problem for over two months according to their "weekly" ??? status report. The reality is that they were failing for some time before this but it suits them to use this as a benchmark.
Apparently, it's not their fault. They they are awaiting delivery from a Hardware supplier. OH, that's all OK then? Seems that a little planning and a sense of urgency wouldn't go amiss with this lot.
In my contacts with them I sense that they know that they are not as bad as the worst of the ISPs and the general tone of the Customer Service is... Take it or leave it!
Edit/Delete Message

Mark Rosher

Interesting thread. I've registered here because I am, reluctantly, looking into a new ISP. I've been online, modem and broadband, since the pre-web days of BBS and have only had three ISP's hence my reluctance. Or laziness. :)

The failure in Eclipses mail system means that more often than not I have an outlook dialogue on my screen. Not a major panic, and the mail does get through in the end, but annoying. More annoying is that, by dint of my village being at the end of a length of wet string, I can only get 512kb/s. This ought at least to be reliable, and over the last two months it's been up and down all over.

I work on SDH equipment, where a fault requires a fix within five hours of being reported. Having open faults from August and November of last year that end in 'Thank you for your patience and understanding' is beyond pathetic.

Eclipse have been a great (forgetting the speed limitation) ISP for a couple of years, but I feel it's time to go now.

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
I've been at home for a while, and I've now noticed that I do have problems accing my mail, but the usually 1 in every 3 attempts is successful.

Not that I'm too bothered - 95% of mails to that address are spam, and most people use my email address on my own domain anyway.

mgphillips

Casual Member
the problems spread

Well, it appears that I am also not the only unhappy user! I've been having a fruitless dialogue with Eclipse for over a year now regarding the email service. I too work in the IT industry and there is no excuse in delaying the upgrade of what is clearly overstretched resources in their system. I use mail forwarding from 123reg to allow me to use my own registered domain there, but host the actual email on whichever ISP I choose to use. This is fine until the ISP screws up! Trouble is, over the years I've moved three times - initially each move was successful until the ISP became popular (or greedy) and the service declines. My 8Mb link to Eclipse rarely gets above 2 Mb in actual use. (It did hit 6.5Mb over Christmas!!). Seems like there is always going to be this sort of problem. Anyone know of a really good ISP today?

Mark Rosher

Had to smile at todays update.
'15 Jan 2007 at 16:45:12
We have now been able to place an order for the relevant hardware which will enable us to upgrade the email service'
Been able...? So... you have an incompetent manager who isn't authorising essential purchases, or you were on stop with your suppliers for poor payment of bills... Not a good state for a company in either case.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • NOW £22.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • TalkTalk £22.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: EASTERSALE
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Vodafone £26.00 (*29.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*44.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £29.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: EASTERSALE
  • TalkTalk £29.95 (*39.95)
    Speed: 145Mbps, Unlimited
  • Leetline £34.99 - 43.99
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3160)
  2. BT (2908)
  3. Building Digital UK (1844)
  4. FTTC (1844)
  5. Politics (1822)
  6. Openreach (1736)
  7. Business (1577)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1367)
  9. FTTH (1355)
  10. Statistics (1336)
  11. 4G (1176)
  12. Fibre Optic (1123)
  13. Wireless Internet (1097)
  14. Virgin Media (1091)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1087)
  16. EE (776)
  17. Vodafone (769)
  18. TalkTalk (729)
  19. Sky Broadband (711)
  20. 5G (657)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules