Sponsored Links

eCommerce for newbies

Hi guys and girls,

I am looking at starting one of the above as a source of alternative income for the family, but I dont have a clue as to how to start; so I am looking for guidance on suitable ecommerce set-ups, hosts, costs etc.

IMPORTANT REQUIREMENT

Web pages must be multi-lingual; - initially English and Chinese, but various other ASEAN languages to be added later; ditto the payment system.

Ideally I will be able to upload new products and add/edit text easily and without too much programming knowledge (my web programming knowledge = zero).

We are not looking a a huge range of products, probably 50-100 at most; but perhaps adding more later if the business grows.

I use Aquiss for my hosting i do know some others that also use them for businesses so always worth a look.

http://www.aquiss.net/hosting.php

As you have no knowledge of web design or programming perhaps you need to look for a company that does this side also.

Known this guy for a while now he does understand commerce and building websites for large online shops so might be worth speaking to him just say I suggested you speak to him. http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/business/budget-wishlist-of-cumbrian-website-designer-1.1198595

while l dont have experience in e-commerce lve seen some interesting scripts about..

one thing l could help you with is the server side of things like choosing packages, setting up a domain, and setting up scripts (truth be told ld really enjoy a side project just for the fun of it to take my mind off the recent move and all the agro that comes with that, if you have skype drop me a PM and we could arrange a chat, still havent tested my laptops video capabilities on its cam LOL)..

Sponsored Links
It's easy enough to setup the website front-end/CMS with something like WordPress (a lot of webhosts will give storage space with this pre-installed as an option) and one of the many available free templates, while there are also a number of ecommerce mods/plugins that you can add on top / alongside.

I think a lot of people use osCommerce, but I've seen so many security and support problems with that in the past that one company I know will only work with Magento, which also has a free community edition.

https://www.magentocommerce.com/download

I think a lot of people use osCommerce, but I've seen so many security and support problems with that in the past that one company I know will only work with Magento, which also has a free community edition.

https://www.magentocommerce.com/download

A lot of people used to use OSCommerce, however, development of the product died a death of few years back and is rarely considered the benchmark to use. Magento sadly needs a lot of resources throwing at it to make it work quickly, which if your using shared hosting (most small/young business will) then it will struggle. You can get it sped up, but you really need skills beyond that at a level of most people.

Honestly Captain, your starter places should be Opencart and Prestashop, both out the box should get you going fine.

Thanks for the tips, I will look at them all tomorrow.

Hi Timeless, I dont use Skype any longer, I pretty much stopped using it after Paypal took over and started miss-billing everyone, then ditched it completely when M$ got it.

Now if you have QQ, I am available; or if I figure out how the built in chat thing in FireFox works (never tried it)

Captain Cretin take a look at viber it is a messenger but can also talk over it, need mobile number, they do versions for on mobiles, tablets and desktop. I have been using it for a while now no matter what application you are using the messages arrive they are all linked to the phone number but they send a code to the phone for the other applications to sync.

http://www.viber.com/en/

Sponsored Links
Thanks Kits, my wife uses WeChat, but I have never bothered to get it set up on my phone.

My wife works for a business that runs sites off osCommerce and she loves it. Easy to customise and is feature rich.
I've recently built a site in Magento. It struggles to run on a virtual server with 512 mb ram and is incredibly complicated to setup and to customise. I can see why the big players like newspapers use it though. It does seem very well written, supported and documented.

Tom - www.mouselike.org

lol lve never used the paid skype, so its always worked for me.. tho trillian should also be able to connect to skype as well as a third party program.. quite a few have shot up recently that connect to all the big names.

I have registered "DragonBaby.co.uk", but havent had much time to do anything with it yet. The night after registration, Barney blew down all the fences and snapped off several posts, so I spent 10 days digging out stumps and fitting new panels and posts.

Sponsored Links
given what this weekend and coming week look like it might have been worth waiting on the manual work :/ weather warnings tomorrow and likely over next week looking at the weather models.

Yes, another panel and post may well go down, but the neighbour was nagging me to fix it.

It is all her fault anyway, she didnt like the fence I put in, so had it replaced, but had the wooden posts put straight into the ground, where they have rotted out in less than 5 years. The majority of the repair time has been getting out the rotted and unrotted post remains (burnt out a drill chewing through the good wood a foot underground).

Yeah, I'm getting rather fed up with our West Midlands weather at the moment.

tell me bout it.. when Barney blew through it took out the power in area for a little while (surprisingly we came back within mins, as others were off for over a day), hate it when the power is screwy messing my up my speed.. even more so when lm submitting a query to a database like l was when Barney blew through, thankfully my friends site was fixed seconds before the power went out lol, tho it could have messed up stuff if it had not XD

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules