Sponsored Links

EE 4G Osprey 2 Mini 10 second delay to page loading

rik130

Hello.

I'm using an EE unlimited data SIM in my Osprey 2 Mini. It is sat on my window ledge and hard wired to a USB3 socket on my tower. I get a fairly consistent 50-60 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up with ping in the mid 30s.

I'm getting some weird behaviour when loading web pages whereby sometimes they'll load near instantly, yet other times they take approx 10 seconds (never any longer). There is no pattern to it. At first I thought it was some caching issue but it it appears not as I can refresh a tab a while later and it take 10 seconds (just a normal refresh, not a forced reload). I still have my Sky landline and despite the woefully slow speed of 1 Mbps it will consistently load all pages near instantly and never suffers the sporadic 10 second delay that I get with EE 4G.

A ping to the router gives instant returns and disabling Defender and trying it with my AV uninstalled makes sod all difference so all those can seemingly be ruled out. I get the same behaviour in both Chrome and Firefox. Chrome sits there with "waiting for [site] ...." displayed across the bottom of the current page until it finally loads.

Equipment wise, I am running W8.1 OS and the Osprey software verion is Y853_00_01.16_15 but I have no idea if that is the latest one as the 'check for updates' just returns 'error' when attempting it.

Have any of you experienced this issue and know what to do to fix please?

Whose DNS servers are you using, BT's were rubbish, I currently use Cloudflares,

Comparisons of DNS performance are here

Sponsored Links
I'm not seeing anywhere in the Osprey 2 Mini config to even see what the DNS is, let alone change it.

Found them in control panel and changed them to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 secondary, saved, restarted. No difference. Still getting the sporadic 10 second delay loading websites. No pattern, sometimes they load instantly as you would expect, other times it's exactly 10 seconds, never any longer.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's something specific to the tower as I'm not getting the issue on the laptop. I'm now running a B525 router and regardless of whether the tower is connected over ethernet or wirelessly, I'm still getting the 10 second delay, so it's not a problem with the Osprey. It's as if the connection goes to sleep after about 5-10 minutes yet it's fully connected and performs email checks in my email client every 1 minute without issue. It's just the browser pages the delay is happening on. Does the same in Firefox as well.

I've reset WINSOCK, IPv4 TCP/IP and IPv6 TCP/IP all to defaults in admin command prompt, rebooted, but the problem persists.

I've also deleted all browser add-ons/extensions and the problem persists.

What is causing this? Again, my laptop using the same connection is not experiencing the issue, neither wirelessly nor over ethernet.

Further testing has revealed that in fact Firefox is working fine and not suffering it. I only did some very brief testing with Firefox before so may have just been unlucky, but I've done extensive testing side by side with Chrome and it doesn't happen with Firefox at all.

I've tested Chrome with hardware acceleration both on and off, no difference (one of the reported solution to fixing slow page loads).

I've performed both actions under 'reset and clean up' menu, ie. 'restore settings to their original defaults' and 'clean up computer', both haven't made any difference.

???

So its either something to do with Chrome or EE are doing something with the Chrome packets it does not do with Firefox. Try having Task Manager open and viewable as you use Chrome and see if it hogs a resource when you get the 10 sec pause, also look at preload pages in case that is interfering. Reset and clean plus restore settings do not seen to help when I have had issues with Chrome in the past, but a full uninstall, reboot and reinstall has.

I just ran a windows diagnostic on the ethernet connection in my CP / Network and Internet / Network Connections and it says

Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding

which is a bit concerning. It doesn't give me any further details though. Again, Firefox is working fine 100% so if it is a DNS problem why is it only affecting Chrome? I watched the Processes > CPU & Network tabs in Task Manager when it does it and there is nothing out of the ordinary showing up.

I've matched the network and Chrome settings exactly to how they are on the laptop which doesn't experience the issue but the problem on the tower PC persists. If I disconnect from EE and reconnect my Sky landline, Chrome works fine and I no longer get the "waiting for.... [website]" and 10 sec delay on any web page.

It is completely baffling me. It's got to be something specific to Chrome *AND* the ISP *AND* this machine.

Sponsored Links
I have the Cloudflare DNS settings on the main router, all the connected PC's etc all use that router for their gateway and inherit its DNS settings. I would delve into the PC with the issue and check that it has not got some hidden setting whereby either Chrome or the network adaptor setting have some DNS alternatives that overrule the router. If the PC is on Win10 then this is getting buggier with every new release. Its took 12 months to get my main desktop to finally connect back to the router at 1Gb via a cable, after one update the network card just stopped connecting and endless new drivers and other 'fixes' did not work until a new driver last week.

I went into device manager to see if any flags over the devices in network settings but said both the ethernet and wireless controllers were working OK. Upon checking for updates the wireless controller was the latest version but the ethernet was out of date. I updated that to the current version, rebooted, but the problem persists. It does it regardless of whether it's connected wirelessly or over ethernet anyway though.

I've checked the DNS settings again and they are not being overrided by what I input. If I change them to something specific from 'obtain automatically' they'll remain in place. I'm on the verge of reinstalling Chrome but it would be a complete ball-ache and very time-consuming given how I've got it set up 'just so' and if that doesn't fix it the whole lot will be departing via the nearest window.

Just a thought - have you tried disabling IPv6 on your local network (if it is enabled). I have had problems with networks "freezing" when it just happens to decide to use an IPv6 address which then doesn't respond in a timely fashion.

Sponsored Links
I've changed a couple of digits - let me know if you need the real ones for your investigations.

Your Public IPv4:162.158.155.50
IPv6:2a01:4c8:c2a:c566:d548:8387:15c9:7e24
Region:England
City:Leeds
Zip:LS2
Lati/Long:53.7965 / -1.5478
Timezone:Europe/London

I've changed a couple of digits - let me know if you need the real ones for your investigations.

Your Public IPv4:162.158.155.50
IPv6:2a01:4c8:c2a:c566:d548:8387:15c9:7e24
Region:England
City:Leeds
Zip:LS2
Lati/Long:53.7965 / -1.5478
Timezone:Europe/London

PM me the real output please

This seems to be the exact issue I'm having. Trouble is, the EE profile in the B525 is greyed out and I can't change "IPv4 & IPv6" to IPv4 only. If I set up a new profile with IPv4 only and apply it, I lose the internet. Help!

Read this

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules