Sponsored

EE Essential Plans have no actual speed cap

JaffaMeme

It seems from my testing that EE essential plans don't actually have the "Up to 60Mbps data speed" cap they allude to. I've managed 200 down, just like the uncapped plans could get in the same place. Does anyone else experience this 60 cap, perhaps its only applied in congested areas?

Meatball

Casual Member
I have also been testing various SIMs and have sought to understand the impact of EE service plans on various devices. I have concluded that unless I spend a lot more on SIMS (plans rather than just test free/PAYG) and a wider selection of devices no broad conclusions can be drawn.
As providers seek to sqeeze as much out of their existing spectrum and upgrade masts this will provide inconsistent results on top of device, mast, bands, bandwidth, backhaul etc.
I would love someone to give a definitive explanation of how EE are approaching it but this of course would be commercially sensitive. Certainly we can get other strange results including the speedtest and of course there will be exceptions where the contracted plan does not align exactly to the technical specification applied.
There are definitely differences between the lower tier and the smart plans. I thought initially it was simply a restriction on frequencies and Carrier Aggregation but its more subtle than that and probably why EE suppress the 4G+ symbol. I also note some have reported 4G+ issues on 5G so the same may be happening there.
All I have been able to conclude on my limited budget is that older CAT4/6 devices can provide a modest dn/up balance (for 4G alternative to fixed) on the lower tier SIM but for the same criteria (SIM/distance/frequencies/time of day) a higher CAT device (H PRO 30 and S10) provides a higher down (well above 60) but at the unfortunate result that the upload drops significantly (1 Mbps during busy periods).
So as a broad brush approach I would recommend anyone with a more recent device to go for the Smart/5G plans to gain what ever is available at their locations and certainly for phones. Perhaps others have a better insight.
Certainly this added issue is something to consider when comparing EE SIM deals with THREE. I think THREE are currently better for the more moderate service speeds if you can get good signal and capacity.

Last edited:
Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Onestream £22.49 (*29.99)
    Avg. Speed 45Mbps, Unlimited
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*35.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • Vodafone £23.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2768)
  2. FTTP (2746)
  3. FTTC (1783)
  4. Building Digital UK (1740)
  5. Politics (1662)
  6. Openreach (1619)
  7. Business (1429)
  8. FTTH (1340)
  9. Statistics (1240)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1221)
  11. Fibre Optic (1062)
  12. 4G (1052)
  13. Wireless Internet (1020)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (1014)
  15. Virgin Media (1004)
  16. EE (696)
  17. Sky Broadband (668)
  18. Vodafone (666)
  19. TalkTalk (661)
  20. 5G (514)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules