Sponsored Links

EE has messed up my broadband - need urgent help

pcube

Casual Member
Hi,

This is my first post on this forum and needs some help & guidance.

All of sudden, I lost my fiber broadband connection on 26 May. EE has not notified me and learned that Openreach has ceased my line. Now the cabinet is full so I cannot get fiber broadband, EE said we can provide standard but that's almost of no use.

There are 7 apartments in the building, I can see all of them are waiting list for FTTC fiber at Openreach availability but all the other 6 has g.fast available ( green status ).

1. All other 6 apartments can place new orders for fiber broadband (fttc) . Though I am not sure it will be fulfilled, but at least they can order. I cannot even place an order other than standard broadband. That's all visible for my address .It doesn't show me any other option when i checked the availability of any of the ISP providers.
  2. All other 6 apartments can place g.fast order too but I cannot for my apartment. G.fast is available to all 6 apartments. Please note it was available to me in past but not now.

Questions :

1. Why g.fast is not available to me? when it's available to all others in the same apartment?
  2. Can I get g.fast when fttc isn't in the waiting list ? are these 2 have separate availability in cabinet?
  3. How do I get onto a waiting list for fttc?
  4. How do you know how many people on waiting list for fttc cabinet ?

Last edited:
Hi,

All of sudden, I lost my fiber broadband connection on 26 May. EE has not notified me and learned that Openreach has ceased my line. Now the cabinet is full so I cannot get fiber broadband, EE said we can provide standard but that's almost of no use.

my address: Apartment 5 , WA15 7GP

There are 7 apartments in the building, I can see all of them are waiting list for FTTC fiber at Openreach availability but all the other 6 has g.fast available ( green status ).

1. All other 6 apartments can place new orders for fiber broadband (fttc) . Though I am not sure it will be fulfilled, but at least they can order. I cannot even place an order other than standard broadband. That's all visible for my address .It doesn't show me any other option when i checked the availability of any of the ISP providers.
  2. All other 6 apartments can place g.fast order too but I cannot for my apartment. G.fast is available to all 6 apartments. Please note it was available to me in past but not now.

Questions :

1. Why g.fast is not available to me? when it's available to all others in the same apartment?
  2. Can I get g.fast when fttc isn't in the waiting list ? are these 2 have separate availability in cabinet?
  3. How do I get onto a waiting list for fttc?
  4. How do you know how many people on waiting list for fttc cabinet ?

How did you exactly "lose" your connection? Did you not receive any prior warning or notice thatches was going to happen?

In brief answer to your questions:

1. Seems like a database anomaly, as it's available to order for the other apartments and was previously for you too.
2. Yes and yes
3. You need to sign up with an ISP that supports the waiting list, there are very few that do as it is a highly laborious process to stay on top off. Also because the of extremely high percentage of cabinets now with waiting list, some of these ISPs are no longer bothering with the process as there isn't really any certainty for their customers. Basically the process is frustrated.
4. There is no way of knowing

My advice would be to approach an ISP like A&A who will be able to find out why you have been suddenly excluded from G.Fast when all of your neighbours apartments can get it and you had it in the past.

Sponsored Links
1. This may be a database error - you can try asking your ISP to raise an ORDI request to check.
2. G.fast uses separate equipment to VDSL so common to see G.fast availability but VDSL waiting list. Perhaps you could persuade your neighbours to move to G.fast and free up a VDSL port?
3. Not sure if any ISPs still support FTTC waiting list - I know Aquiss used to:

Thank you @brookheather for your quick response. Much appreciated .

However I am not sure neighbor's move from FTTC to G.fast will free the slot for me to be FTTC as there could be others waiting from the same cabinet to avail FTCC - is that not right?

I cannot even place an order for FTTC so how i can go on the waitlist ? All i can be offered by all ISP is standard broadband nothing else.

I have asked EE to reach out to Openreach why my address is no longer showing G.fast . If this is a database error then presume this can be correct soon and I can then order g.fast which has green status for all apartment.

Thank you for your response @Pheasant . The history of the event is long so I avoided but there was no notification from EE. however, there was a series of events that took place as listed below.

-------------------------------------------------
History of how things have taken place
-------------------------------------------

I have been with EE for more than 3 years and my fiber plus broadband ( fttc broadband) . Since this year I started getting 50-55mb instead 70-75 i was getting all along so decided to move away from EE and place order for Sky to take over .
13 March - Placed order with Sky for Fiber Broadband ( 67mb download - FTTC)
13 March - Sky confirmed the activation date as 29 March
14 March - I requested Sky to change activate from middle week to Friday 1st April ( Friday)
18 March - I got a letter from EE saying my broadband with them ends on 29 March
22 March - I got confirmation from Sky saying my activation date is now 1st April .
22 March - I contacted Sky saying EE has written me that they will terminate my account on 29 so what happened for 3 days until you get my broadband activated on 1st April? Sky said please contact EE not to close your account. I said I don 't want all this fuss- Please cancel the order
22 March - SKY canceled the order

25 March - I have decided to renew contact with EE for my fiber broadband for another 24 Months and renewal taking effect from 1st April as my current was running until 31st March.
1 April: Renewal contract with EE did NOT take into effect on 1st April
2 April: I rang EE saying why my contact did not renew, and no email or notification has arrived. They said, due to technical problems order could not be completed and the reason is SKY did not cancel their order property. But don't worry it will be sorted and your order will be renewed from the back dated. No action needed from me
10 May- suddenly my contract was renewed. And the speed of EE broadband has gone further down so I wasn't happy so I said don't want renew the contract for another 24 months on this speed - let it run on a monthly basis for now . EE said , that's OK . ALl good , no contract but your service remain same and but you pay higher prices now . I said fine.

All good .

26 May - Lost complete broadband and my EE router shows steady red lights

That's quite the saga!

You need to find to from EE why exactly they cancelled the service, two weeks after they renewed it: presumably some sort of mistake/misunderstanding and they cancelled the entire service completely at the time you called on the 10th May.

Unfortunately it may be too late to get FTTC back now, as the cabinet obviously has a lack of capacity and someone may have jumped in.

You can keeping checking regularly for FTTC to become available again at the cab and order immediately it does. Also worth following up on the G.Fast issue as noted.

Sponsored Links
Thank you again, hopefully, I get some updates from ee about g.fast and then place an order about g.fast. Temporarily EE has offered me 2 month 4g MiFi device with unlimited data but it's terrible and has no consistency in speed.

Thank you again, hopefully, I get some updates from ee about g.fast and then place an order about g.fast. Temporarily EE has offered me 2 month 4g MiFi device with unlimited data but it's terrible and has no consistency in speed.
Re G.fast issue complete this checker enquiry form at Openreach to have them look into it. Choose “I cannot get fibre but my neighbours can” for the reason for the enquiry drop down.

@pcube might want to keep it just to one thread in future eh?

Sponsored Links
What's the EE 4G/5G signal like locally. Until they restore you service could they give you mobile broadband?

If EE locally doesn't have a great service would it be worth considering Voda/O2/Three mobile broadband and ditch the landline.

when you say EE has messed up your existing connection how? or why?
can you go into details more?

when you say EE has messed up your existing connection how? or why?
can you go into details more?
2 Threads on same subject messes understanding the issue up.

-------------------------------------------------
History of how things have taken place
-------------------------------------------

I have been with EE for more than 3 years and my fiber plus broadband ( fttc broadband) . Since this year I started getting 50-55mb instead 70-75 i was getting all along so decided to move away from EE and place order for Sky to take over .
13 March - Placed order with Sky for Fiber Broadband ( 67mb download - FTTC)
13 March - Sky confirmed the activation date as 29 March
14 March - I requested Sky to change activate from middle week to Friday 1st April ( Friday)
18 March - I got a letter from EE saying my broadband with them ends on 29 March
22 March - I got confirmation from Sky saying my activation date is now 1st April .
22 March - I contacted Sky saying EE has written me that they will terminate my account on 29 so what happened for 3 days until you get my broadband activated on 1st April? Sky said please contact EE not to close your account. I said I don 't want all this fuss- Please cancel the order
22 March - SKY canceled the order

Sponsored Links
Once again apologies. I should have posted one but wasn't sure where to post thought to go for 2 places.

Updates : EE is sorting g.fast issues and said hopefully in 10 days they will able to get g.fast updated on bt wholesale, it seems more of database error and possibly in 3 weeks they may be able to provision g.fast . Finger crossed.

In the meantime offered 4g mifi which is just ok, gives sometimes good speed sometimes totally rubbish..

Once again apologies. I should have posted one but wasn't sure where to post thought to go for 2 places.

Updates : EE is sorting g.fast issues and said hopefully in 10 days they will able to get g.fast updated on bt wholesale, it seems more of database error and possibly in 3 weeks they may be able to provision g.fast . Finger crossed.

In the meantime offered 4g mifi which is just ok, gives sometimes good speed sometimes totally rubbish..
You might get better speeds using cellmapper website to find local mast and place mifi device at nearest window/as high up as possible.

If you have 5G in your area and a 5G android phone you could try putting the sim in that and doing reverse ethernet tethering.

Updates from EE :
They have got a response from Openreach on g.fast availability. It's not available for my apartment because it won't have sufficient speed that g.fast should offers hence not available. Also said g.fast distance have revised from previous - not sure second part is true.

However, I counter-argued this: If it's not available to my apartment how Openreach is still showing to the other 6 apartments in the same building. They are all not going to achieve the expected g.fast speed . If there is at all possible in this building then it's 2 apartments ( includes mine) as they are front side and nearest to the cabinet ( by 10meter ) than others . This doesn't make sense at all. I said treat me the same as others, I should be able to order g.fast as others in the same building. Also, my apartment and cabinet distance are 240-250 meters approximate.I believe this distance isn't too far and g.fast should work

EE said they will challenge Openreach. I felt they should have challenged Openreach straightaway.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5513)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules