Sponsored Links

EE SIM only contract - roaming alternatives?

westfin

This post is more a thinking out loud post and I am interested to hear of other people's comments (even if it is: 'I'd stick with what you have').

I am currently on an EE SIM only contract. I took out the contract in November of 2020 under the plan 'Smart SIM Plan 24m Unlimited £28'. It has:

• Unlimited data (which appears not to have any artificial speed limits)
  • Unlimited calls
  • Unlimited SMS
  • ... and more importantly 1 inclusive extra - which I have opted to have as the 'Roam further pass' giving me 50GB of roaming use in EU/US/Canada/Mexico/Oz/NZ per month.
I started paying £22.40/mo thanks to a Black Friday deal and a student discount. The student discount is still on the account, but I am now paying £29.24/mo thanks the inflationary increases so far (this is made up of £36.55 minus a discount of £7.31).

With the Jan inflation figures, I suspect the amount I will be paying in March will increase to £31.55/mo (Undiscounted £39.44 less 20% discount).

Now for reference, I do not use any more than 50GB a month when in the UK, so the unlimited data element is not attractive to me, but the 50GB of roaming data is. I spend a large proportion of the summer in the EU and probably a week in Easter and the odd trip around Christmas. Don't worry, I never fall foul of the roaming restrictions and for the record, I am not always in one country, so couldn't sign up with say Orange France or such.

I've been trying to work out if I could move to 1p mobile for say £15/mo and find an alternative for the roaming via an eSim or such, but since EE put up the roaming add-on to £25 and there not being enough competition, I am struggling to find an alternative that would give me 40 - 50GB a month in the EU roaming data for say around 4 or 5 months a year.

eSims from airalo would be $100 for each 50GB, easySIM would be £50 for around 40GB, even the Seeek only offer 20GB at £12/mo, but two of those would take me in excess of what I'd be paying with EE.

I want to keep an EE account for the UK, so I'd likely consider moving to £15/mo 1pmobile, but can anyone see an alternative to the roaming.

Should I accept that £31.55/mo is cheap for unlimited data/calls/SMS/50GB roaming?

This post is more a thinking out loud post and I am interested to hear of other people's comments (even if it is: 'I'd stick with what you have').

I am currently on an EE SIM only contract. I took out the contract in November of 2020 under the plan 'Smart SIM Plan 24m Unlimited £28'. It has:

• Unlimited data (which appears not to have any artificial speed limits)
  • Unlimited calls
  • Unlimited SMS
  • ... and more importantly 1 inclusive extra - which I have opted to have as the 'Roam further pass' giving me 50GB of roaming use in EU/US/Canada/Mexico/Oz/NZ per month.
I started paying £22.40/mo thanks to a Black Friday deal and a student discount. The student discount is still on the account, but I am now paying £29.24/mo thanks the inflationary increases so far (this is made up of £36.55 minus a discount of £7.31).

With the Jan inflation figures, I suspect the amount I will be paying in March will increase to £31.55/mo (Undiscounted £39.44 less 20% discount).

Now for reference, I do not use any more than 50GB a month when in the UK, so the unlimited data element is not attractive to me, but the 50GB of roaming data is. I spend a large proportion of the summer in the EU and probably a week in Easter and the odd trip around Christmas. Don't worry, I never fall foul of the roaming restrictions and for the record, I am not always in one country, so couldn't sign up with say Orange France or such.

I've been trying to work out if I could move to 1p mobile for say £15/mo and find an alternative for the roaming via an eSim or such, but since EE put up the roaming add-on to £25 and there not being enough competition, I am struggling to find an alternative that would give me 40 - 50GB a month in the EU roaming data for say around 4 or 5 months a year.

eSims from airalo would be $100 for each 50GB, easySIM would be £50 for around 40GB, even the Seeek only offer 20GB at £12/mo, but two of those would take me in excess of what I'd be paying with EE.

I want to keep an EE account for the UK, so I'd likely consider moving to £15/mo 1pmobile, but can anyone see an alternative to the roaming.

Should I accept that £31.55/mo is cheap for unlimited data/calls/SMS/50GB roaming?
I would not necessarily call that £31.55/mo cheap. My O2 rolling contract which will likely be £7.40 in April features all of that (apart from EU roaming being 25GB and Travel Inclusive technically coming with my Virgin broadband).

I'm not sure what your options are though, Tesco is the only provider that doesn't have a roaming data cap (you can use all our UK allowance) but it doesn't have free roaming outside of Europe.

I would not necessarily call that £31.55/mo cheap. My O2 rolling contract which will likely be £7.40 in April features all of that (apart from EU roaming being 25GB and Travel Inclusive technically coming with my Virgin broadband).

I'm not sure what your options are though, Tesco is the only provider that doesn't have a roaming data cap (you can use all our UK allowance) but it doesn't have free roaming outside of Europe.
It might be worth linking to the network info spreadsheet for better roaming information:

Sponsored Links
I would go for 1p Mobile for £10 which covers 25 GB in the UK and 14 GB in Europe, and then when needed add a Monty eSim or EasySim.

I'm in the same boat, that google doc needs filters so badly,

These are the otpions it seems >.<
1707996167752.png

I would go for 1p Mobile for £10 which covers 25 GB in the UK and 14 GB in Europe, and then when needed add a Monty eSim or EasySim.
Monty isn't that good of a price though? o.0
1707996337575.png

I'm going Sweden soon and want an esim thats cheaper than the EE addon -.-

If your ever in Ireland grab a Three Irish SIM. For 20 eiro whenever I activate it I get EU Roaming (21GB) or 32GB if you pick the 30e plan and I think they have a daily pass for the USA etc that you can online. It can be more sluggish in the UK I found though.

Sponsored Links
It might be worth linking to the network info spreadsheet for better roaming information:

Thanks for the Uk networks sheet - great help

Sponsored Links
I'm in the same boat, that google doc needs filters so badly,
What do you mean by filters? I’m happy to add if it’s something within the realms of possibility.

What do you mean by filters? I’m happy to add if it’s something within the realms of possibility.
Can you update some things:

5G on Talk Home works without requesting

5G Is now on Utility Warehouse on the unlimited plan

Co-op mobile now has WiFi calling and possibly 4G calling.

I get B20 on Lyca but others have said that it doesn't work so idk.

and more importantly 1 inclusive extra - which I have opted to have as the 'Roam further pass' giving me 50GB of roaming use in EU/US/Canada/Mexico/Oz/NZ per month.

£31.55 isn't so bad if you need EU/US/Canada/Mexico/Oz/NZ. Stay where you are for now.

Sponsored Links

I agree it isn't cheap, but I'd rather have EE as my UK provider due to their coverage in locations I visit. o2 unfortunately would be bottom of my list.

Although Tesco could be an option if I just wanted to pick up a SIM for roaming (as well as some of the other suggestions made).

£31.55 isn't so bad if you need EU/US/Canada/Mexico/Oz/NZ. Stay where you are for now.

This is where I am sitting at the moment, as I don't think I can match the equivalent at a lower cost (i.e. remain on EE in the UK via 1p mobile and have say another provider with an additional 30GB-35GB of data for a total cost that is lower than what I'd be paying EE over the course of a year). However, I'm still open to other views of a way to an equivalent amount of roaming data. Thanks everyone for their views so far.

Strange how noone is using ESIM.NET
They have some nice deals even if your roaming.
With Vodafone plan you can get unlimited for 20 pounds, plus romain in 75 countries.
Vodafone Local UK
£20.00/mo
30 Day Rolling

Unlimited UK Data

Unlimited UK Minutes/Texts

Lightning Fast 5G

WiFi Calling

Free Roaming in 75 Countries*

Unlimited calls and texts within all countries**

Firstly, at the end of your term call EE and say the plan is too expensive, tell them you don’t need unlimited data and see what they say.

If you need to, ask for your PAC, that will then lead to a call from retentions who have better deals to offer and they have thrown in roaming as a sweetener in the past. If that does not go to plan and you’re happy with EE and don’t need an eSIM, just go with 1p Mobile.

My EE sim only ended up increasing like yours and I just couldn’t justify paying £30+ for a sim only. I had a 20% discount too.

Strange how noone is using ESIM.NET
They have some nice deals even if your roaming.
With Vodafone plan you can get unlimited for 20 pounds, plus romain in 75 countries.
Vodafone Local UK
£20.00/mo
30 Day Rolling

Unlimited UK Data

Unlimited UK Minutes/Texts

Lightning Fast 5G

WiFi Calling

Free Roaming in 75 Countries*

Unlimited calls and texts within all countries**
They have dropped there prices by quite a bit recently it was not £20 before that's pretty good for Unlimited with Roaming on Vodafone

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5512)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules