Sponsored Links

EE switch from Virgin - advice needed Huawei B525 & ORBI

filmguyuk

So I had this weird situation with Virgin - I'd been regraded to the new 350mbps service and then not charged me for 12 months. I'd chased them over a 100 times + 15 letters before they demanded I pay the total amount owed in 30 days - some £1,000+. Thankfully I went to arbitration and won with the debt wiped out.

In about a months time I move into a rural location and Virgin isn't available - so I've cancelled the contract at no cost- which was one of the additional benefits CISAS arbitration granted me. The property is a one-off new build and isn't supplied by a BT line. My new neighbours graciously allowed me to do a speed test via my phone and they're getting 3-5mbps services. So I decided to test an EE myfi unit at the location and was pleasantly surprised to see 63mbps via 4G. Now I've not tested it internally in the building because it's not been legally handed over to me yet.

As I have about 4 phones with EE, I called them and had a chat. They offered me a Huawei B525, as a free upgrade over the existing Alcatel 4GEE unit and 500GB for £60 on a rolling 30-day contract. Which I've gone for. My question is given the shift from cable to 4G what are the pitfalls I need to watch out for. The old Hitron unit for Virgin was always used in modem mode and I'd got a separate Netgear ORBI to cover the house. Should this all pretty much works as before using the Huawei connected via the WAN?

Really appreciate everyone's advice in advance - Matt

I see no reason why your old home mesh WiFi kit couldn't work with the mobile broadband router too, provided it has that WAN port. You might also want to consider an external antenna too, if a high up window isn't good enough by itself for signal/router positioning (some advice on that in other topics under this forum but EE also do their own https://ee.co.uk/bduk ).

Thanks for the steer Mark. Given I work with video and speed is pretty critical to my work, would I see any significant benefit opting for the Huawei B618 over the Huawei B525?

Sponsored Links
A similar question has cropped up before:

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules