Sponsored Links

EE Unlimited Data Plan

jro

Hi all,

I'm moving to a rural location in Wiltshire in the next few weeks. The house was due to be getting Gigaclear 900mbps connection by the end of 2019, but checking the rollout website, it now appears it's now been pushed back, and is not going to arrive until Q4 2020 (and will probably end up getting pushed back further). BT suggest that I might be able to get "up to" 9mbps and a guarantee of 1.5mbps.

Yesterday, we went for a walk around the area to check mobile signal speeds. Outside of the house, using fast.com, my wife on EE got around 110mbps on an iPhone XS, and I got 13mbps on Three on the same phone.

Later, I checked Opensignal, and I can see that there are three EE masts within 0.5 to 2km away from the house. Mastdata shows no masts anywhere nearby, but I suspect that is a bit out of date. The nearest Three mast is quite a bit further away. Going for EE seems a no brainer, despite being more expensive per month than Three.

1. The Huawei B525 looks like a reasonable price, but have also looked at the B618. Would the B618 actually offer any significant speed improvements? Am I likely to get the same speeds using those as I have done with my phone?

2. Has anybody used the EE unlimited phone data tariff (£34 per month) for home broadband, and experienced any issues or pushback from them? Their Mobile Broadband deals only offer up to 300gb per month, which I can easily exceed regularly, and are significantly more expensive (£45pm) than the Unlimited sim only deal.

3. Given the proximity of the EE masts to the property, would you recommend using an Omni-Directional antenna, or is a directional antenna still going to be more powerful? Can a 4g router connect to more than one mast at a time?

Many thanks for your help.

If you are not moving for a few weeks, I’d hold off for the moment as it is possible that their Halo hybrid product (due next month) may offer unlimited data over 4G. Present EE contracts go up to 500 GB/month, but don’t offer monthly contracts unless you splash out on their bundled router as well.

I use an EE data SIM in an Archer MR600, and get up to 100 Mb/s at 4 km from the mast. I prefer Archer/TP-Link to Huawei, as the user interface in the latter can be a bit clunky and inflexible. Huawei may offer the option of connecting a phone as well, which Archer doesn’t. I plan to go to either an unlimited data phone SIM or Halo, depending on what it offers.

I’d try it first with just the bundled omni antennas. If it’s that good with the phone, it should be fine.

There's no issue using a phone sim in a home router. OFCOM have said that all sims must work in any device without restriction. If you use more than 1000Gb a month they might squeak I suppose as they'll probably consider it "business" use.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules