Sponsored Links

EE VOIP Block

Curious one..

We have a VOIP service configured on our modem and a pair of DECT handsets plugged into it.

Modem is operating on EE 4G (permanent setup/"home broadband" service)

Worked fine for weeks.

Then died. If I call out, I get a message from EE saying that I don't have any credit and need to top up to make the call.

Which is odd, because what this must surely mean is that EE are inspecting the packets and refusing to forward them in either direction in order to block VOIP over 4G. Since those packets are destined for Sipgate, not EE.

Yet, from memory, I feel sure I read in the Ts and Cs that EE do not block VOIP or indeed anything.

I can get this working - a member here has kindly sent me a VOIP box which I can put behind the internal router, all traffic at that point is sent over a VPN.

Anyone else seen this or who can confirm it's a service restriction?

I have sipgate enabled on my Samsung Galaxy S5 via the built in VoIP settings on the phone. It works fine when I'm out of wifi and using 4G EE data, so they're not blocking it that way. I divert my office phone to the sipgate number when I'm away from the office because landline to landline diverts are free and I never have a problem with it

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback.

It's a voice interception.

What you hear, is, I would assume, exactly what you would hear if you had an EE PAYG mobile SIM in your phone with no credit on it, and had tried to make an outgoing call.

It is definitely something to do with EE. Their online "top up" and account management system was broken again so I switched back over to Three temporarily rather than keep trying or waiting since I'm so fed up with that thing breaking all the time.

With the Three SIM in the same modem, and without a single change to any configuration, it works fine now.

With the EE SIM in the modem, the status page for the VOIP services shows the SIP account status as "Registering" when it should read "Up" and doesn't get any further. This is a change that happened about two weeks ago.

How odd. I finally get around to doing something about this today. Incoming has been working, but no outgoing.

And it has "fixed itself".

.. and now it's broken again.

When the ISP identifies itself as "T-Mobile" it works.

When it connects instead to "Orange", it does not.

Given that the signal strengths and speeds are identical with both, it makes me think that both are on the same tower, so there's no way to control or influence which is selected.

My next step would ordinarily be to take the matter up with EE, pointing them at their own Ts and Cs.

But I can't be bothered to type up and print out a letter and put it in the post, that being the only means of written contact.

Freaky. I didn't really think that this would work, but it does..

If I set the proxy server in the VOIP settings to be the Asus box which has the client VPN, in effect the connection is going in to the Asus box, then out to the internet through the Huawei via the VPN, and then back to the Huawei itself.

And that works.

Sponsored Links
I use a Gigaset N300A set up with a SIP VOIP account and works ok now although keypad tones didn't work some time ago when I first set it up - seem to work fine now though.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules