Sponsored

Email viruses

Banger

Top Member
Been getting a lot of email viruses recently claiming to be from microsoft but my pop3 scan has picked them out as a virus. Almost 2 or 3 every two hours. Reply address is different everytime and it has the Microsoft banner accross the top of the email but seems to have a valid email address eg support@microsoft.com thats why the bounce is not stopping the mails. Anything one can do about it ?

sentup.custard

ULTIMATE Member
Edited out - not awake, just realised this is specific to Clara but can't delete post for some reason - sorry! :eek:

Last edited:

Captain_Cretin

ULTIMATE Member
it sounds like a number of people with your email address in their address book have been infected with the swen worm as thats what the exe file attached to the email contains.
You could send an email to everyone in your address book advising them that someone (or 2 or 20) has swen and telling then to visit thier anti virus vendor for a copy of fixswen.exe
Other than that you could add the word "patch" to your spam filters, that would show them as spam if nothing else.

sarsat

Pro Member
Its a bit smarter than that. If you post to a newsgroup, then any machine that accesses that newsgroup which has the virus will send to you. Viruses are getting much better at finding active email addresses. And they generally use a modified address for the sender to make it difficult to trace back. You can trace back the mail from the initial IP in the header but this only really works if the sender has a static IP, and is a lot of work usually only to find that you don't know the person anyway. If you use Zone Alarm Pro it renames attachments so that they cant be executed unless you really want to, which can be useful. Be aware, there are more variants of this virus out there that the virus checkers aren't aware of. I'm receiving 2-3 a day that my ISP's virus checker, Sophos, F-Secure and AVG all declare as safe which definately aren't. Mind you, they do detect the other 140+ per day so I'm happy, but you must not be complacent.

Captain_Cretin

ULTIMATE Member
bummer, in that case I suggest you download mailwasher so you can autodelete at the server and preview suspect emails before they reach OE.
If you reguarly post to newsgroups then set up a special email account and use that to post with then set mailwasher to autodelete everything that comes in to it.
To do that you will need the older "beta" version because the latest free version only supports one email address.

5thWheel

http://www.zzee.com/enh/
do "1st Email Anti-Virus" that acts as a pop3 proxy and de-htmlifies all incoming mail and zips attachments (which prevents outlook attempting to autopreview them).
I am using this at the moment and it seems pretty good.
Of course, it may have vulnerabilities of its own that I am unaware of, but my anti-virus pop3 proxy gets the mails first anyway.
(I've also been getting these bogus MS mails in the webmail account I use when I have to register software - I think a bunch of recruitment companies have it and hit me every few months)

jdtaylor

ULTIMATE Member
These email viruses are spam and seem to mostly originate from the comcast isp network, in the us accofrding to the number I have reported as spam, as due to the official look of them it has made me think they are almost fradsulent spam with a VIRUS.

sarsat

Pro Member
How do you make them out to be spam? Spam is unwanted advertising, and these don't advertise anything. They just infect your system with one of the swen virus variants. The only reason you are seeing a lot from one ISP is your address must be on one (some) machines on that network ( assuming your IP tracking and not going by the names on these things). Mine mostly originate in Germany because of a mailing list I'm on over there, but the addresses appear to be random.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2508)
  2. FTTP (2188)
  3. FTTC (1656)
  4. Building Digital UK (1602)
  5. Politics (1421)
  6. Openreach (1415)
  7. Business (1234)
  8. Statistics (1097)
  9. FTTH (1070)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1034)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (906)
  14. 4G (895)
  15. Virgin Media (855)
  16. Sky Broadband (594)
  17. EE (590)
  18. TalkTalk (577)
  19. Vodafone (514)
  20. Security (411)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules