Sponsored Links

Europeans Shun Broadband Video and IPTV Services

Most people got conned into a contract that only allows then a few GB each month, so BB Video is a non starter, add the crap contention sometimes, I cannot even stream audio most of the time!!

SO we use programs like Bittorrent, why??

Does it have anything to do with having to wait months, and sometimes years (if ever), for the film/TV series to be released on DVD or shown on TV, and having to put up with (on TV) stupid censorship; like the removal of ONE minor swearword from ET, 75% of any fight scene from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and 100% of any vagina related joke or activity on Scrubs.

(Currently watching illegally downloaded "Northern Exposure", every episode !!)

For me the biggest turn off to IPTV at the moment is the fact i don't wanna watch tv on a smallish monitor. Until IPTV boxes become cheaper/more widely available i dont think it'll be a big hit. Saying that i do use Apple TV a hell of a lot :)

Sponsored Links
If Microsoft and Sony put an even bigger effort into creating true IPTV services on their future consoles then that would change the whole market by making it more accessible. They're in the best position to make IPTV work on a mass market scale.

Given the poor speeds, bandwidth caps and contention we have to put up with in the UK, is this a surprise? And personally speaking, I largely fail to see the point in any case. With 15 or so usable channels (not to mention ITV) on Freeview, there's enough variety of content without resorting to paying for more. Plus my local library is part of a network that has a good range of DVDs, and no longer charges for borrowing them.

TV is cheap, easy to use with good quality output, which makes it rather hard to charge for slow, hard to use services.

Agreed, I'm quite happy with my TV and have no desire for IPTV, though at the same time I hate having to pay BSkyB for a huge number of extra commercial channels when I probably only watch 4 or 5 of them above the usual freeview ones. IPTV could at least offer more flexibility, though right now you'd have to have your broadband and IPTV service with the same ISP to get it because of the bandwidth issue. Bring on the fibre.

IPTV may take off if Microsoft added more services to Windows XP Media Center

Currently you have to exit Media Center and launch a web browser to use for example the BBC's iPlayer. or other content.

It just needs all the manufacturers to add access to these services and content in their easy consumer graphical interfaces.

Sponsored Links
IPTV may take off if Microsoft added more services to Windows XP Media Center

I think this is way down the list of issues, after crappy bandwidth, capping, people being happy with watching TV on their...erm...TV, recording capabilities of existing set-top boxes negating the need for web-based TV, higher image quality over the airwaves, more TVs in living rooms than PCs.......

There isn't much of a compelling reason to view TV over IP rather than the airwaves IMO. Especially since it would slow down peoples Torrents... ;)

It just needs all the manufacturers to add access to these services and content in their easy consumer graphical interfaces.

As Mark.J says, MS & Sony could do that quite easily with their respective consoles, but even if they do then thats still only a small proportion of TV viewers (adding in those who know about and want to use Media Centre for IPTV won't make much difference).

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules