Sponsored Links

Excellent service from ICUK

i4c

Have just joined ICUK.
http://www.icukhosting.co.uk/internet_home.asp
Signed up a few days ago and I'm now on line.

I have been with V21 for a couple of years. Had to pay £30! for my Mac Code. But it was worth it. Service was poor when they had problems. Very little information given out. Support in India from the normal 'Key Word' agents that do not have a clue what it was all about. No telephone support.

How refreshing to find an ISP with a normal telephone which is answered quickly.

Good bye V21. Thanks ICUK

Strange choice of new ISP !!

It states " NO " Premium Rate support numbers, and yet it uses 0870 Support Numbers, which are erm .... :smilet:

Oh well, anything is better than V21 I suppose.

> Strange choice of new ISP !!

Why are a strange choice? We're currently voted 6th in the top 10 list on this site, and although our main focus lays with hosting and reseller services, we do operate a decent ISP service.

> It states " NO " Premium Rate support numbers, and yet it uses 0870 Support Numbers, which are erm

0870 isn't defined as premium rate. It is a national rate number which provides a small slice of revenue to help our support our operations. Unlike most ISPs who will happily put you on hold for 20 minutes you are highly likely to speak to a member of staff who will be able to answer your question regardless of whether it is sales, support, or accounts orientated, within a couple of rings. Customers can call our 0845 number if they prefer. It isn't designed to generate us lots of money, and we hope customers don't mind paying a little extra considering how good our support really is. Feel free to try it for yourself :cool: .

Sponsored Links
Not a " Premium Rate " number yet you admit to getting a " small slice ".. from it..get real.. either alter your web site or at least try to be honest with your customers/potential customers. I would never have anything to do with any company that charges a premium for support.

Oh and BTW, I assume that you are a Rep from icuk, I thought Reps needed to register their interests on this Forum... :hrmph:

Support : 0870 11 66 175

Ooh shame on you Inactive! Of all people to twist the definition of a term around! :shrug: :laugh:

Ofcom define a Premium Rate number as calls charged at rates for Customers of BT which are generally either a) higher than 10p per minute up to and including £1.50 per minute including VAT, or b) fixed fee calls costing over 10p, up to and including £1.50 including VAT. They even have specific numbers ranges for such numbers, so you can easliy identify them: 090 and 091.

0870 is defined as a National Rate number!

For anyone concerned BT charge BT Together Option 1, 2 & 3 customers; 7.51p per minute peak rate, 3.75p per minute weekday evenings and 1.5p per minute at weekends to call MOST 0870 numbers. ... a local call at peak time costs 5p per minute.

Therefore ICUK don't use a premium rate number for support! :)

;)

Twist it whichever way you like, it is still a premium rate in my book if the receiving number gets a slice out of my phone bill.

I don't really care how Ofcom care to conjure things up to protect the needs of industry.:nod:

saynoto0870

Sponsored Links
Why would anyone sign up for a ISP that charges for support when there are ISP's that use a free phone number?

Hint - My Sig :D

I could run rings around ICUK support agents I might even ring them up and start asking questions on how they would deal with normal ADSL problems for my own amusement:p

Can anyone tell me whether they are a virtual ISP/reseller, or have their own pipe?

This question was asked to us yesterday by two customers by email - not sure if this was you? Here was my reply to the customer:

<-- snip -->

ICUK started as a vISP many years ago (2001) selling 0845 minutes through Cix. Since then we concentrated our efforts to providing high quality hosting solutions for shared, dedicated and reseller customers (and the development of our famous control panels). All the while we provided complementary ADSL services through a number of vISP platforms which, dare I say many years ago included V21 and Bloomley. Both of which we swiftly left and our time with them lasted a couple of months, if that. Having had such a bad experience with what were the only two vISP platforms of any substance (we already knew then to stay clear of Netservices), we decided to write our own.

We don't own our own centrals. Instead have opted to grow alongside a company called Murphx (wholesale DSL provider) whom we have known and worked with for nearly 4 years. This is a good relationship which allows us access to their 4 centrals, direct relationship with BT, and all the benefits a normal ISP would have if they had a central. They are financially stable unlike other wholesale providers. We're not interested in building our own ADSL network or running the pipes for the simple reason it isn't our core business - hosting is. We are interested in developing our platforms and portfolios. It is for this reason we setup www.redtelecom.co.uk which not only see's the same philosophies as ICUK especially on the reseller side of things, but see's us already co-developing with Murphx. Customers are at no risk of being cut off or receiving a poor performance because of our setup. It is not what ICUK or our partners stand for.

All our control panels and systems have been designed and developed by us in-house from scratch. This allows us to not only provide very flexible solutions, but ensures we are in complete control at all times. We like as much as possible to put the control in our customers hands. On the ADSL side of things it allows them access to logs, graphical stats, online billing, easy management of emails, and control panels that allows them to setup an manage hosting through it as well. We're constantly developing and listening to our customers. It is because of our listening our reseller platform has grown to the size it is, and has funded our further development plans with Red Telecom to introduce much needed reseller and automation into the telecom industry.

It is thanks to our philosophies and control panels that allows us to reply to emails within minutes (much like this one) and always available to answer the phone without the queues or "press 2 for..." options. You have access to more or less the same information we have. You can call us on an 0845 number during office hours. This appies to sales and support - you come through to the same team of people, so no need to worry about premium numbers, or speaking to a commission based salesman.

The realm we use is interdsl.co.uk which is our own, and one we use for our own and vISP use.

Regarding your question on Macs we can provide them to you at any time, without charge. All our ADSL contracts are 1 month in length without any hidden costs or clauses.

<-- snip -->

I hope this helps and is as open and honest as I can be about our xDSL platforms for our own use and those companies who utilise our reseller facilities.

As for:

Why would anyone sign up for a ISP that charges for support when there are ISP's that use a free phone number?

I have answered this question before, and I'm not sure why you have this big facination with the cost of calls. Surely if you are dealing with a decent ISP the number of times you have to call them are minimal, they can offer to ring you back, or they know what they are doing so the time you are on the call will be very minimal. Think about it... I'm sure you'll agree to disagree :smilet:

As for the other post by ManofMeans

I could run rings around ICUK support agents I might even ring them up and start asking questions on how they would deal with normal ADSL problems for my own amusement:p

Sounds like you have too much time on your hands... Feel free to call us up and see what we're like on the phone. Our opening hours are clearly stated on our website, and whoever you get through to will be trained enough to answer your questions. We're all mainly developers who have helped put the control panels and systems our customers enjoy in place. This means we know the platform like the backs of our hands and should any problems arise we can swiftly diagnose them and either put a fix in place, or raise accordingly with BT. Similarly if you have any questions about us or our systems they can be answered. My name is Paul if you would like to speak directly.

Regards,

Paul Barnett
ICUK Computing Services Ltd

#####################
Sales: 0845 00 99 175
Support: 0870 11 66 175
http://www.icuknet.co.uk
solutions@icukhosting.co.uk
#####################

Since when did Ben Murphy get his own pipes? last I knew they was reselling Astra associates, do they still have the hidden option of 9 on the phones to go staight through to Ben Murphy's direct line?

BTW say Hi to Luke and Jerry for me.

Sponsored Links
Your information about Murphx is very out of date I'm afraid. Ben is only 1 of the management team there now, and they do own their pipes, otherwise you wouldn't see us partnerng with a reseller, and nor would we have the flexibility we do with them. They used to used Astra pipes back in 2003/4 before Astra was purchased by Mistral. Their first pipe came live in April 2004 from what I remember, and a 622 is going live early next year.

Not too sure about pressing option 9, I've never really had the need to speak directly with Ben other than the occasional conversation about Radius.

Luke is still there, but have never heard the name Jerry mentioned before.

I hope this brings you up to speed with Murphx facts. If you have any other questions about ICUK's team or services then feel free to ask, afterall that is what this part of the forum is all about.

Regards,

Paul Barnett
ICUK Computing Services Ltd

#####################
Sales: 0845 00 99 175
Support: 0870 11 66 175
http://www.icuknet.co.uk
solutions@icukhosting.co.uk
#####################

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules