Sponsored Links

External router advice please

It says "5g phones only" so people know they need an actual 5g device.
I have that exact contract and it works great on the cpe win. Good luck :)
BTW I got my ee contract through topcashback site which paid me back £95, helped offset that router investment a bit.
I can see they offer £70 now, still nice.

Attachments

• Image2097871522584722784.jpg
    Image2097871522584722784.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 112
Thanks Lucian for all that useful advice, really helpful. I think I might take your advice and see how I get on. 5G would be awesome given I'm happy to achieve 20 mbps.

I've ordered an EE PAYG 5G sim to try in my Oneplus Nord 5G to see if there is a prospect of 5G working at home. Supposed to be weak outside coverage here.

Cheers.

Gordon

Yeah, take the phone out when testing, definitely. You might still get good lte. I was getting 100+ Mbps on lte with EE.

Good point, entirely forgot about that!

Sponsored Links
Hiya, I was just reading through your original post when I realise you mentioned about being possible throttled to 10Mbps on your Max plan. I have read others experiencing this on Voda and there's a page on the Voda forums here about it. https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/Unlimited-Max-Traffic-Management-Throttling/td-p/2661907

Try using a VPN and see what speed you get on the Voda then.
Since then, I've brought the router back inside my loft and although signal strength is down, speeds are up. Peaking about 15 down now sometimes a little faster, more often about 11 - 12.

Cheers

Gordon

Since then, I've brought the router back inside my loft and although signal strength is down, speeds are up. Peaking about 15 down now sometimes a little faster, more often about 11 - 12.

Cheers

Gordon
That's ok if your sorted now 👍

That's ok if your sorted now 👍
LOL. No I'm fully on trying to improve it. I just received a HUAWEI CPE Win UK version and it is no better on Voda 4g than my existing cheap Yaecom 4g router at the same location. It is doing a better job on EE 4g although its a weak signal on the 1800 mhz band. SN is -3db but gets up to 20 mbps down but not very stable. 5g on EE is tantalisingly close to me as it I get 2 bars on my phone 100m down the road. The 5g router and my phone don't see 5g at my house so next plan is a directional outdoor antenna to point at the 5g mast. At the minute I don't know where it is but will find out today.

Cheers.

Gordon

LOL. No I'm fully on trying to improve it. I just received a HUAWEI CPE Win UK version and it is no better on Voda 4g than my existing cheap Yaecom 4g router at the same location. It is doing a better job on EE 4g although its a weak signal on the 1800 mhz band. SN is -3db but gets up to 20 mbps down but not very stable. 5g on EE is tantalisingly close to me as it I get 2 bars on my phone 100m down the road. The 5g router and my phone don't see 5g at my house so next plan is a directional outdoor antenna to point at the 5g mast. At the minute I don't know where it is but will find out today.

Cheers.

Gordon
I would still ask that you run a speedtest on the Voda using a VPN to see if you are affected by what I quoted before. (I use the one built into the speedtest app for things like this - 2GB is more than enough for a few tests!) Reply with what speeds you get when using Voda + VPN.

OK, I hadn't tried. I have Nord VPN so I'll try a speedtest on that laptop via Nord VPN to hide the traffic from Voda.
I am pretty sure Vodafone are managing traffic but from my perspective, it still seems to work regardless of what I do. By that I mean even if I do a speedtest and it is 6 mbps for instance, we can still run 2 HD netflix and another HD stream without any buffering. I think they manage a QOS of sorts to ensure it still works even if an apparent slow connection by ensuring we get enough bandwidth. Of course that would't work if the data streams were encrypted.

BTW, it is always the same band 20 mast I connect to. If I drive to the mast, the speedtest goes as high as 45 mbps which I think disproves the theory but I'll test it later when home.

Gordon

Sponsored Links
just received a HUAWEI CPE Win UK version
Great, hang on to it, there seems to be a shortage worldwide.
You could try to fix it into an old sky dish, see if it catches any 5G.

Cheers.

Gordon
If you're using your phone's indicator as a guide to getting 5G or not, be wary the indicator might well be showing but you're actually not getting any 5G. It's essentially a useless indicator that networks can enable on your phone when in the vicinity of some 5G.

I can confirm that I do not get a speed increase on speedtest if accessing via a VPN. It was actually slower. Also my speed doesn't increase dramatically at 00:00 although it tends to get a bit faster which is what you would expect as many less people will be accessing it then.

Gavin. Thanks for that re 5G. The EE 5g coverage map actually shows coverage all around me. My house is of course in a weak spot even on the map but I'm still hopeful I can access it by some means. I still have to go find the 5g mast so unsure what direction its arriving from. I am a bit green on this but Cellmapper shows no EE 5g activity in Hamilton and Blantyre but it is supposed to be covered according to EE maps.

Thanks.

Gordon

I bought it from Vodafone with a 30 day payg contract which I cancelled immediately. Not the cheapest way to get one but no worries for me. It is unlocked by default.

Cheers Gordon

Who's supplying these in the UK?
Got mine from a1smartshop.com for £250.
In recent times that became £299 and now they run out completely and they say there are global stock problems.

You can still buy from this USA shop, but after import taxes and transport fees.. it may not be cheaper than doing what Gordon did...
https://www.router-switch.com/huawei-5g-cpe-win.html

Might be worth trying your luck on Aliexpress..

I tried A1smartshop.com. When they never responded to 2 emails, I binned them. I also found the US site Lucian mentioned but expect that to be much dearer after the various charges added on. And the ability to easily return the device if necessary is another factor that swung it for me.

Gordon

I bought it from Vodafone with a 30 day payg contract which I cancelled immediately. Not the cheapest way to get one but no worries for me. It is unlocked by default.

Cheers Gordon
You bought an outdoor 5G modem from Vodafone?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules