Sponsored

F2S and VOIP

I have signed up for F2S and will be activated on Monday October 17th (provisionally) as part of the package I am getting a Billion 7402VGP Wireless Router, what else do I need in order to make 'normal' phone calls i.e. to a landline or mobile. Any advice gratefully received. :)

drsox

ULTIMATE Member
More information here:
http://www.billion.com/product/voip/bipac7402vgl.htm

I presume that F2S do not provide the voip backbone? in which case you will need a service from (or similar to) www.voiptalk.org

Plug the phones into the router (you may need a converter from the RJ11 to the BT style plug - again see voiptalk), configure the router to work with whoever you select (ie, voiptalk) and off you go.

I have been using VoIP For my business for a while now and its great - down side is when there is internet activity - ie, surfing or email sending - then the conversation goes to pot :( (and thats with my USR 9106 which allows QoS)

Tom - www.mouselike.org

Cre@tive

ULTIMATE Member
I use a vOIP usb handset or a USB phone switch which i plug a normal phone into and use vOIP on f2s and works very well. Im on 2mb and seems fine even if surfing.

I use one of the following: Skype or sipgate.co.uk

With sipgate you get a free 01 or 02 telephone number and of course with Skype you can buy a 0870 number when you purhase Skype out minutes.

I dont know what the cheapest and easiest vOIP software/provider is for calls to the uk and the world.. anyone got any ideas.. ideally with a free phone number for incoming calls.

drsox

ULTIMATE Member
Cre@tive said:
I use a vOIP usb handset or a USB phone switch which i plug a normal phone into and use vOIP on f2s and works very well. Im on 2mb and seems fine even if surfing.
Nothing beats having a fixed phone into a router / network.
Machines crash, get turned off, have high load (games bla bla).

If you intend to use VoIP a LOT then USB may not be the way to go - plus if your router comes with phone ports - you only need to plug a normal phone into it :)

Tom - www.mouselike.org

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Cre@tive said:
I dont know what the cheapest and easiest vOIP software/provider is for calls to the uk and the world.. anyone got any ideas.. ideally with a free phone number for incoming calls.

Possibly the cheapest is www.voipbuster.com - Free calls to landlines in the UK and about 14 other countries. However I wonder how much longer that offer will last, the number of free countries is shrinking and the minimum cost of joining has gone up (purchasing £5 credit).

I've never used them (or voip) so check them out before considering joining.

Thanks for the helpful comments. The router has two FXS ports which I can plug a normal telephone into to make and receive calls. If I used a service like voiptalk would I need any additional hardware.

drsox

ULTIMATE Member
North Dakota said:
If I used a service like voiptalk would I need any additional hardware.
Nope, you should just be able to re-configure the router to use voiptalk rather than the default (f2s?).. once configured - pick up the phone and off you go :)

Good luck. - Have fun - I love my VoIP phone :) [its my main line for my business!]

Tom - www.mouselike.org

Billion 7402 VGP and Sipgate

drsox said:
Nope, you should just be able to re-configure the router to use voiptalk rather than the default (f2s?).. once configured - pick up the phone and off you go :)

Good luck. - Have fun - I love my VoIP phone :) [its my main line for my business!]

Tom - www.mouselike.org

If I went for Sipgate for example, would it be easy to configure (set up) for a newby?

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Onestream £22.99 (*34.99)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2528)
  2. FTTP (2247)
  3. FTTC (1671)
  4. Building Digital UK (1615)
  5. Politics (1442)
  6. Openreach (1428)
  7. Business (1255)
  8. Statistics (1108)
  9. FTTH (1101)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1054)
  11. Fibre Optic (977)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (922)
  13. 4G (917)
  14. Wireless Internet (917)
  15. Virgin Media (868)
  16. EE (601)
  17. Sky Broadband (598)
  18. TalkTalk (583)
  19. Vodafone (531)
  20. 3G (416)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules