Sponsored

Fast4 now capped for new customers

tghe-retford

Top Member
It's official, the website now has details of numerous packages for broadband, and they are all capped, the £9.98 a month option is only for 1GB a month. The 30GB a month option is now £24.95 a month.

Source: http://www.fast4.net/?su=y

It looks like the unlimited experiment has failed, and from what I can see, Fast4 joins a number of ISP's who are dropping unlimited broadband for a significantly capped service.

A question:

Will all existing customers be moved onto a capped service? At the moment, I still have an EurISP connection (I should move to the new supplier in April) and I am still on a up to 8Mb broadband service. At the price I pay for my connection at the moment, I would only be eligible for 1GB a month, and I can use that in a day (though that's more the exception than the rule).

Techno Peasant

Top Member
Hi tghe

Have just noticed the same changes - the introduction of the new "Bolt-Ons" section in the member's portal made me wonder what was afoot.

Like you I'm concerned that this means we'll all be moved to some sort of capped account - the thought of paying 25 quid to get a 30GB monthly cap is quite daunting (half the recently imposed 60GB "unrestricted" cap for 9 quid a month more than we're currently paying).

I'd like to think that Paul will appear here this evening (or tomorrow at the latest) and put the minds of existing members at ease. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see....

Beginning to make a jump to one of the Enta packages when my 12-months are up in March seem like an option I'll (sadly) have to consider......

TP

tghe-retford

Top Member
Beginning to make a jump to one of the Enta packages when my 12-months are up in March seem like an option I'll (sadly) have to consider......

TP
I'm thinking of the same thing, but I don't have a bottomless pit of money to spend and many of the Entanet suppliers are either too expensive for my needs or I would end up going over the small caps. Fast4 was a good compromise of price and usage for me when I signed up in April 2007. The alternatives I can think of are Be* (not available in my area :(), Sky (have to use their router and after the Picnic proposal on DTT, I hate them :mad:) or Tiscali (never, never again! :mad:).

Techno Peasant

Top Member
I'm thinking of the same thing, but I don't have a bottomless pit of money to spend and many of the Entanet suppliers are either too expensive for my needs or I would end up going over the small caps. Fast4 was a good compromise of price and usage for me when I signed up in April 2007.
I'm in the same boat as you tghe - the current 60GB cap is effectively "unlimited" to me (at the moment) - as I've said on other threads. WhaT I really liked was that it is "any time" since the vast majority of what goes on in my house happens at peak times (ie. in the evening after school / work, and at the weekends). The 20 quid Enat packages with their 30GB cap (forget the the 300 GB offpeak - currently not any real use to me) just don't seem to be as good. But that may end up being what I have to go to.

Hopefully Paul will turn up here sometime soon.....

TP

Are there any other Fast4 customers out there with thoughts on this ????

lobster1

a point to remember when thinking of the entanet packages is peak only covers 5 days, so its really 30gb divided by 20 days. for anybody downloading bulk its not hard to bung it on the night shift.
what does work good about the peak/offpeak job is you actually get the best speeds (usually full) at peak times when most isp's are grinding to a crawl.
offpeak speeds can be a bit slow at the moment but there is extra capacity due this month to make up the ground lost to the sheer numbers of refugees arriving,

Paulplex

ISP Rep
Hi all,

To be honest, I don't really know how this is going to play out for existing customers; I can certainly confirm that existing users aren't going to wake up tomorrow and find their package has been either up or downgraded to 15 or 30Gb per month respectively - however, for how long existing customers are on their current packages, I couldn't say.

I personally would want to see at least a couple of months before packages change but I can understand why these changes are required, at least for new customers: Murphx are a much better backbone supplier (in my opinion) for the support and control we have with fault reporting and that nice little bonus that is no more exit fees for customers if they want to leave - but unlike EurISP, charge more heavily for bandwidth :(

zag5

ULTIMATE Member
On Enta @ least 8 days every month will be weekends which would allow you to download e.g. this month 30gb peak/ divided by 21 weekdays equals almost 1.5gb per day Monday-Friday 8am-10pm. It's an absolute bargain compared to farce4's latest knee-jerk reaction

Last edited:

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
£24.95 for 30GB per month? :crap:

For a fiver less I get 30GB, plus another 300GB, from Enta. Even AOL with all its awfulness will give you a better deal than that...

I always plan my downloading for overnight, I even had 10GB left out my 30GB peak allowance last month.

All I can say is good luck...

Techno Peasant

Top Member
To be honest, I don't really know how this is going to play out for existing customers;
Hi Paul - good to see you sticking your head above the parapet at the start of what, I dare say, might prove to be an interesting few days.

I like your continued (personal) honesty in admitting that you don't know how this will turn out, but...

....however, for how long existing customers are on their current packages, I couldn't say.

I personally would want to see at least a couple of months before packages change but I can understand why these changes are required, at least for new customers....
that is a concern. I would be hoping that existing customers would be curtailed no further and not have subscriptions increased (even AOL seem to reward loyalty with reduced rates). The prospect of 25 quid a month for only 30GB doesn't really stack up against the majority of your competitors (e.g. Enta suppliers), and I am sure that I speak for most of us who have been here for a number of months and remained loyal through thick and thin when I say that I expect a better assurance than what you 've given so far.

Could be an idea to try and get Steve to comment on this thread....

TP

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
To be honest I'm not sure Fast4 could legally get away with forcing all their "unlimited" customers onto a fixed limit package without their consent.

If a customer enters into a contract with Fast4 to provide "unlimited" broadband, then that's what they have to supply for the duration of that contract.

This is a lot like what AOL have done recently. Like Fast4, AOL recently changed all their packages to fixed limits, but still have a lot of users on obsolete "unlimited" packages.

If AOL could force these "unlimited" customers onto the new fixed limit packages, then i'm sure they would in a second, but instead they encourage them to agree to a new contract with a small discount as a incentive.

tracker

ULTIMATE Member
Anyone remember fast4 being warned that cheapo packages and an unlimited tag were a bad business model and was doomed to fail?
I do!

Techno Peasant

Top Member
Anyone remember fast4 being warned that cheapo packages and an unlimited tag were a bad business model and was doomed to fail?
I do!
I think we all probably do - I certainly remember the many comments made by Old Dude.

The assertions of Fast4 management at the time, combined with the timely way in which they have always dealt with my tickets, gave me the assurance that their unlimited offer was genuine and sustainable. I for one am sad to see that this has not be bourne out over time.

The new package offerings centrainly are nowhere near as good as the "16 quid all you can eat broadband" that I think I remember being offered. Just hope they remain loyal to thise of us that have hung around and been supportive over the last 6 or 8 months......

....only time will tell.

TP

Techno Peasant

Top Member
If AOL could force these "unlimited" customers onto the new fixed limit packages, then i'm sure they would in a second, but instead they encourage them to agree to a new contract with a small discount as a incentive.
....I've not been aware of any encouragement from Fast4 to move to a different package

....any other Fast4 members been approached with offers / incentives aimed at making them migrate to one of the new formally capped packages ????

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
I do!
I'm sure Old Dude will pick up on this thread soon ;)

Back on topic -

PaulPlex said:
]I personally would want to see at least a couple of months before packages change but I can understand why these changes are required
I don't think a long notice period is that important. It would be more important to offer existing customers who aren't happy with any new limits the option of leaving for free whether or not they have any remaining months of contract left.

Personally, I think the new offerings are a good thing - at least no-one can criticise F4 for not being open about limitations any more!

As for whether they offer value for money - well I'm on Be (I get 14mbps, and sometimes download heavily without ever falling foul of any FUP) so I'm a little spoilt, but I do think the Enta offerings generally offer better value.

tghe-retford

Top Member
I too would like to personally thank Paul for taking the time to comment on this thread, though alongside Techno Pleasant, I too have concerns with the idea that packages may change within the next month or two.

At the moment, if I was considering migrating to a new ISP and casting aside all the threads on Fast4, I have to say that I would walk along because the prices are not attractive for my needs, as said, this is a direct consequence of switching to a provider which charges higher for bandwidth.

It's a shame really, and its a long way from the advertisements of the "UK's cheapest truly unlimited broadband provider" (though some forum members have disputed that). For now I will stay with Fast4 whilst I am on the up to 8Mb unlimited package is on (I'm not hitting the FUP so I should be fine for now) but I will have to consider my options of migrating to a new provider, and if I have to change to more unfavourable terms, then I shall have to migrate.

It's a bit of a shame that the LLU operators at my exchange are the operators who I would not considering joining up to! No Be* for my exchange!

Techno Peasant

Top Member
For now I will stay with Fast4 whilst I am on the up to 8Mb unlimited package is on (I'm not hitting the FUP so I should be fine for now) but I will have to consider my options of migrating to a new provider, and if I have to change to more unfavourable terms, then I shall have to migrate.
My position is the same tghe - more than happy to stay with Fast4 if contract remains as it currently is with an "unlimited" 60GB "any time" cap for current members.

Like you I don't seem to be in danger of breaching the usage limits - the newly created "Bandwidth Usage" section of the member portal confirms this - and since I only get just under 2 Mbps ADSL (courtesy of my BT line) I'm reluctant to pay more than 16 quid a month to any ISP.

Here's hoping Fast4 will keep the loyal membership on the current terms for quite a while.

tracker

ULTIMATE Member
Logically (and with a business mind firmly in place)
If you are providing something at a certain price and for whatever reason the cost ends up more than the 'realisation' you are in deep do-do if you can't pass on the increase in some way shape or form.
It could well be the case that Enta is allowing enough capacity to service the existing Fast4 user base ... how long that lasts is really down to the users and just how greedy they get. There will no doubt be a 'safety net' of a little 'extra' capacity to service new captures (under the new terms/packages)..if not I expect a downturn in speeds and connectivity soon to be endured by the Fast4 faithful as they try and balance what they have to what is needed.

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Logically (and with a business mind firmly in place)
If you are providing something at a certain price and for whatever reason the cost ends up more than the 'realisation' you are in deep do-do if you can't pass on the increase in some way shape or form.
It could well be the case that Enta is allowing enough capacity to service the existing Fast4 user base ... how long that lasts is really down to the users and just how greedy they get. There will no doubt be a 'safety net' of a little 'extra' capacity to service new captures (under the new terms/packages)..if not I expect a downturn in speeds and connectivity soon to be endured by the Fast4 faithful as they try and balance what they have to what is needed.
How did Entanet get into this Fast4 use Eurisp and Murphx for internet.

Techno Peasant

Top Member
Interesting thoughts tracker (although I think your reference to Enta should really be EurISP ??)

If my reading of Paul's comments earlier on this thread are correct, the new capped account regime is as a requirement of the MurphX backbone that new accounts are provisioned on - and to which I think Fast4 wish to move their existing customers as they get to the end of their 12-month EurISP contracts.

If part of this move to a different backbone supplie reduces my "uncapped" 60GB "any time" limit, I'm not sure that my personal position would be better. Perhaps staying on the EurISP backbone would leave me in a better place. Problem with that is I'd probably end up being a minority customer (ie. a Fast4/EurISP as opposed to Fast4/MurphX) and that would clearly leave me in precarious position (I was a V21/NetServices customer - and well remember the trauma at the end of 2006).

I just wish some senior member of Fast4 management would make a clear statement either directly to all members (preferable) or via a press release to somewhere like ISPr.

Any takers......

Shinra

Well thats it! Ive had it with fast4 poor service and what the hell is wrong with there DNS servers? I need to use a proxy on my dedicated server in the US to get onto fast4.net or MSN Messenger. They seem to either be blocking things or there just plain ****.

As the packages have changed I will be taking action on the VISP if this isnt cleared up Something surprising allways seems to happen with Fast4 and if I dont get my MAC code then two lawyers will be contacting Fast4.

I have also contacted watchdog to check out fast4.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
    Gift: None
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2553)
  2. FTTP (2292)
  3. FTTC (1688)
  4. Building Digital UK (1627)
  5. Politics (1457)
  6. Openreach (1444)
  7. Business (1273)
  8. FTTH (1125)
  9. Statistics (1118)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1068)
  11. Fibre Optic (984)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (930)
  13. Wireless Internet (929)
  14. 4G (926)
  15. Virgin Media (876)
  16. EE (607)
  17. Sky Broadband (602)
  18. TalkTalk (587)
  19. Vodafone (542)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules