Sponsored

Fast4 now capped for new customers

Paulplex

ISP Rep
Well thats it! Ive had it with fast4 poor service and what the hell is wrong with there DNS servers? I need to use a proxy on my dedicated server in the US to get onto fast4.net or MSN Messenger. They seem to either be blocking things or there just plain ****.

As the packages have changed I will be taking action on the VISP if this isnt cleared up Something surprising allways seems to happen with Fast4 and if I dont get my MAC code then two lawyers will be contacting Fast4.

I have also contacted watchdog to check out fast4.
I'm not sure why you are having problems accessing some sites, Shinra: however, I don't know of any other customers who have problems accessing services and sites such as MSN Messenger - indeed, it may be because of your proxy that you're having problems?

In any case, if you've requested to cancel, a MAC code can be supplied to you as part of that process; you can also request a MAC code anyhoo, just raise a ticket in your members area to ask for it - that won't cancel your account however so be aware that you'd need to do that to stop further billing for example.

Shinra

You seem to either read things wrong or just dont care, I HAVE TO USE A PROXY to USE MSN. Without the proxy I cannot access MSN Messenger windows update msn.com etc etc. Only some sites work.

Paulplex

ISP Rep
...anybody else having this problem? I've not heard of this issue from other customers but if anyone else can report this issue as well, perhaps I can help.

I assume that when you've tested without the proxy, you've been using automatically assigned IP and DNS on both your computer and router?

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
l had problems accessing msn and other sites when l was with the supplier EurISP l found by changing the connection type to PPPoA worked thats if your not on it already.

tracker

ULTIMATE Member
How did Entanet get into this Fast4 use Eurisp and Murphx for internet.
My bad..Happened to be talking about Enta to a colleague at the time...but of course you knew I'd made a mistake and really meant Murphx didn't you?;)

NUT

Top Member
I think this is hardly a surprise to be honest (true proper caps like this) but I do believe £24.95 for 30GB is far too harsh but either way what can you do. I am glad in a way this has happened and maybe fast4 can now and try be a proper ISP for a change (in other words new customers at least can either like it or lump it) I know for sure though I wouldn't come back as a new customer if I was paid to.

Techno Peasant

Top Member
I think this is hardly a surprise to be honest (true proper caps like this) but I do believe £24.95 for 30GB is far too harsh...

<<snip>>

I know for sure though I wouldn't come back as a new customer if I was paid to.
Tend to agree with you NUT.

I've been a loyal Fast4 customer for nearly a year - the main attraction at the start being a reasonable monthly charge for unlimited use (just don't want the hassle of having to watch and "manage" data traffic in a house with teenagers).

More than happy to remain loyal on my current terms - but sadly could no longer recommend them to any friends at their new price structure - and if I was looking now the price of £24.95 for 30GB can definitely be bettered.

I'm still waiting to for a formal senior management press announcement - or direct notice to current members - about what the changes mean to those of us who remain loyal....

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
My bad..Happened to be talking about Enta to a colleague at the time...but of course you knew I'd made a mistake and really meant Murphx didn't you?;)

:D:D my bad tracker I forgot the wink ;)

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
T and if I was looking now the price of £24.95 for 30GB can definitely be bettered.
It's not just the fact that this price can be bettered, it's the fact that it can be bettered by ISP's with good reputations, such as Enta - based ISPs.

Lots of cheap ISPs could better it, abd I've no doubt that next month there will be yet another ISP offering "true unlimited broadband for just £10" or something equally unachievable - but would you really want to risk it?

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
I've no doubt that next month there will be yet another ISP offering "true unlimited broadband for just £10" or something equally unachievable - but would you really want to risk it?
Or you can still get the same old NJP services under a different name :eek:

http://www.scotdsl.com/broadband.html
£15.95
per month

Now including
FREE connection

ScotMAX - Up to 8Mb Unlimited Broadband with Free Connection

Unlimited 8Mb Broadband - the UK's Cheapest!

An ideal choice if you are looking for a broadband product that's going to provide a blisteringly fast Internet connection - up to 160 times faster than your standard dial-up product! For the very best online performance, improved home networking, and the ability to download photos, MP3s and movie clips in an instance, there's no other competition.

Download speed up to 8Mb
Upload speed up to 448Kb
Free connection and migration
Unlimited bandwidth (No download limits)
No caps
No restrictions
No port throttling
No fair usage policy
No minimum contract
10 email addresses
Quick and easy to install
Easy monthly payments. No hidden extras.
:laugh::eek:

Techno Peasant

Top Member
.....but again, existing customers (like with Fast4) won't be immediately moved to a 'capped' service...
So, Paul, is that an indication that at some point in the future all current Fast4 customers WILL be moved to one of the new capped services....

...keep saying it - but it would be good if there was an official announcement to quell the fears of your existing loyal customer base.

tghe-retford

Top Member
Have just noticed the same changes - the introduction of the new "Bolt-Ons" section in the member's portal made me wonder what was afoot.
The bolt-on's are now available through the secure members console.

The ones I can see are as follows:
  • 10GB Additional Bandwidth: £18 (£1.80 per GB)
  • 20GB Additional Bandwidth: £28 (£1.40 per GB)
  • 40GB Additional Bandwidth: £48 (£1.20 per GB)
  • 60GB Additional Bandwidth: £60 (£1.00 per GB)
On yes, I have got a letter where I will be migrating to a Murphx connection from February 12th.

Techno Peasant

Top Member
On yes, I have got a letter where I will be migrating to a Murphx connection from February 12th.
Is this the first you've been contacted about a move to MurphX ?

Does it say if you're having your contract changed (ie. change of monthly charge, move away from the "unlimited" 60GB terms) ?

Just curious - my 12 months is up in March wondering if I'll get the sme letter.

TP

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
now if fast4 try to retain you as a customer this time lm sure you can sue the ass off them, the contract has changed.. actually it would be more precise that the "service" as a whole is completely different from when everyone signed up.

tghe-retford

Top Member
Is this the first you've been contacted about a move to MurphX ?

Does it say if you're having your contract changed (ie. change of monthly charge, move away from the "unlimited" 60GB terms) ?

Just curious - my 12 months is up in March wondering if I'll get the sme letter.

TP
All the letter says is that the ISP (Fast4) "have made changes and improvements", as a result, the ADSL username has changed. You have to change your username in your router or modem on the date shown in the letter to "ensure a connection can be established".

I also got a standard migration email with pretty much the same information, like I did when I switched from Tiscali.

In the secure members console, it shows there is an ADSL order in progress (this will be the migration to Murphx) but with "Invalid MAC code" in the additional notes field. There is now a bandwidth usage option in the My Account section, which gives more information on bandwidth usage and also advises that if you are likely to exceed your bandwidth allowance, you can purchase more from the bolt-on's menu. It hasn't replaced the fair usage option yet, but probably will in the future.

In fact, at the moment, this is what my bandwidth usage information says, and I quote:

"The total cost of additional bandwidth usage is shown below. Your current plan includes Unlimited of inclusive bandwidth per month (plus any additional Bolt-Ons you may have purchased). Usage above this limit is charged at a rate of £2.00 per GigaByte or part thereof."

However, as far as the correspondence goes, they make no mention of a change of package and no mention of a change of contract. As far as I can gather, I am still on up to 8Mb Unlimited for the forseeable future.

Oh, and I haven't gone the full 12 months with EurISP either, my 12 months should be up on the 5th of April.

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
So if I understand all this correctly...

If I wanted 90GB per month from Fast4, it would cost me £84.95... :eek:

Sorry to bring Enta into this again, but for less than half of that price you could get your 90GB, plus another 360GB off peak...

I depresses me to think that there actually WILL be people out there who will end up paying £84.95... :hrmph:

mrzoot

Top Member
i have recieved the letter as well though the date to change username to 'surfmax' says 2/12/2008 which looks like the beginning of december to me.

everything seems to be in place for us to be switched to the new supplier and then screwed by fast4 with a major reduction in bandwidth probably starting this month

i have been very tolerent and supportive of fast4 problems and the changes they have made but these new prices and bandwidths are very poor

my year is up in april so i will probably leave then if this is how its going to be

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
technically you should be able to leave now, if this isnt a major change in terms that will allow you to leave then l dont know what is.. as this DEFINITELY isnt the contract you or many others signed up to

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
This is a change in contracts you signed and did they ask anyone if they wanted to move to the new supplier?

Also they will have generated MAC codes for you all to move over which last 30days so if this is the start of the 30 days. You cannot get another till this expires even if it is used BT just will not generate another one until after expiry date.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Plusnet £21.99 (*34.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £75 Cashback
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2537)
  2. FTTP (2255)
  3. FTTC (1677)
  4. Building Digital UK (1616)
  5. Politics (1446)
  6. Openreach (1432)
  7. Business (1259)
  8. Statistics (1114)
  9. FTTH (1106)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1059)
  11. Fibre Optic (978)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (924)
  13. 4G (919)
  14. Wireless Internet (919)
  15. Virgin Media (871)
  16. EE (606)
  17. Sky Broadband (602)
  18. TalkTalk (587)
  19. Vodafone (535)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules