Sponsored

Fast4 now capped for new customers

mc6415

Pro Member
still on eurisp here

good speeds not so good ping, so same old same old, and is there any approximate time scale for when 'unlimited' becomes a transparent 'limited' account for existing users?

Eezageeza

I just moved over with the new username. I did a quick speed test and it wasn't too bad (although about half a meg slower than average, but it's too early to say whether this is going to be the norm).

If Fast4 do substantially change the terms of the contract (i.e. move you from an unlimited service to a capped service) it is my understanding that you are legally entitled to leave and you cannot be charged a fee. Although the Fast4 terms and conditions say that they can change the service specifications, this would be seen as an "unfair" contract if the changes were substantial, and could therefore be overturned. If you want this confirmed, any good consumer lawyer should do so.

In any case, I think you'll find that Fast4 won't force existing members to move onto capped contracts. If they do, you will probably find that there are other ISPs that offer better value than £16.95 for 30 Mb. In the mean time, it's still a great service at a good price.

Last edited:

alared

Casual Member
I agree at the moment it is a good service for £15-95 for up to 60gbs.
I looked in the member`s area and the most I`ve ever used in a month was 17 gbs, and that was me just switching from dial-up, so BB was a bit of a novelty.

The people who are moaning about 60 gbs not being enough must be connected 24/7 and running it even when they`re in bed.
What the hell are they down-loading?
They must be running some sort of "business".

I`m within 3/4 of a mile of my exchange and generally connect up at 5.3 megs,even with the change yesterday to @surfmax it has made no difference to the "showing" connection speed of 5.3 megs although it "seems" faster than when it was @fast4.

So no complaints from me and unless the T&C`s are changed dramatically I`ll be staying put.

I must also add that whenever I`ve left a "ticket",it`s always been answered promptly and to my satisfaction.
The only time I ever had to ring Fast4,it was answered on the fourth ring and the matter was dealt with immediately.

Paulplex

ISP Rep
I agree at the moment it is a good service for £15-95 for up to 60gbs.
I looked in the member`s area and the most I`ve ever used in a month was 17 gbs, and that was me just switching from dial-up, so BB was a bit of a novelty.

The people who are moaning about 60 gbs not being enough must be connected 24/7 and running it even when they`re in bed.
What the hell are they down-loading?
They must be running some sort of "business".
I think this news story might explain how customers are able to get to 60Gb and beyond: sure, using YouTube a lot or streaming video services such as the BBC's iPlayer will use a lot more bandwidth than just browsing and emailing - but to get over 60Gb, you've got to be downloading a lot.

There are a lot of legitimate purposes to downloading with peer to peer software: take the download of new Linux distributions for instance - however, the majority of people using peer to peer file sharing software are normally downloading something they shouldn't be: be that software or films or even TV episodes - just because a new TV series isn't out in England yet doesn't mean you can download it for free: it's still subject to copyright!

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
heh but were you not endorsing such action before the FUP?

you knew that offering unlimited was impossible but you (Fast4) advertised as such, you welcomed such users to boost your sales knowing full well you would have to introduce policies in the future, however for the first 2 weeks you lied about having a FUP and spent months telling ppl problems were fixed when they were not, maybe you are only a visp and dont run the network yourself but you have the responsibility to be up front and TRUTHFUL..

as for alared you wouldnt be complaining if your speed was good at all times, l myself admit to passing over 60GB per month l dont make money online anymore (l havent the time since l started work) when l did it wasnt enough to pay for more than my internet, l dont see my usage decreasing because l still have responsibilities running a few very large websites, now why should l pay £50+ for something that works just as well at £20? l'll move isp again if lm asked to because of my usage, but l resent being told to get a buisness connection, when l did try and get one l was turned away because lm not running a buisness (nearly signed up to eclipse) the fact of the matter here tho is "we dont all just have the internet to just browse some pages and email" we actually use it.. in any case l wonder what will happen when they introduce downloadable movies, lm sure amazon was planning on introducing something along those lines.

alared

Casual Member
as for alared you wouldnt be complaining if your speed was good at all times,
I`m not complaining!

I don`t know enough about it to know if my speed is good or bad.

It`s like I said above,sort of constant 5.3 megs no matter what time of day it is.

I`ve no complaints,wasn`t expecting to get 8.0 megs.
I expect it`s all to do with type of modem (speedtouch external, in my case) splitters,distance from your exchange,etc.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
exactly my point...

since when does someone specifically come to say how good the service is? lets face it the only time ppl will make a fuss is when something goes wrong no one comes to tell everyone how great their service is without getting something out of it.

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
the majority of people using peer to peer file sharing software are normally downloading something they shouldn't be: be that software or films or even TV episodes - just because a new TV series isn't out in England yet doesn't mean you can download it for free: it's still subject to copyright!
And these where exactly the type of people Fast4 where trying the attract when they made bold claims about "never throttling speed" and "having no download limits".

Those two things wouldn't matter to the average user... :cool:

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
in fact what exactly is an avarage user?

90% of the ppl l know and those l talk to download everything they watch from the internet that and their software, the internet is a great thing where you can find just about anything, the problem is just by being an ISP they become the gateway to such stuff, and to expect the user to just browse emails and a few web pages a night is just stupid.. we are in the digital age now where we have a number of different types of users who spend hours youtubing and browsing random sites, in fact a few years back l was very concious about my websites and page loading but these days practically everyone has broadband and lm noticing a trend of some sites being very intensive the largest site l know is about 5meg per page o_o which can quickly add up..

a few years back l would have agreed 60GB was more than enough but now... your joking, with all that content out there and kids streaming content when they get home from school and playing their favourite games its easy to pass more than one would think reasonable... a good example would be my sister who between the hours of 5pm til 12am would spend hours just youtubing watching music vids and sometimes even stream her favourite TV shows the sad thing is l dont have a choice, l may pay for the connection but if l locked her off of it it would be more agro than its worth (last time she threw an external hd out of the window... she has anger issues) however her usage alone on a slow month could be somewhere between 10/20gig however the most lve seen her use is around 30gig still january was a busy month for her so my usage on a whole only came to 90gig

Hugh

Casual Member
in fact what exactly is an avarage user?

90% of the ppl l know and those l talk to download everything they watch from the internet that and their software, the internet is a great thing where you can find just about anything
I very much doubt that constitutes an average user.

the problem is just by being an ISP they become the gateway to such stuff, and to expect the user to just browse emails and a few web pages a night is just stupid..
Although I agree they shouldn't expect users to just browse/email I think stupid is too harsh, maybe just naive in thinking the light users would balance out the heavy users at that price. I also believe an ISP can expect their users to act within the law while using their service. You and I both know a lot of what a "heavy user" will download isn't legal.

I wonder if the old Fast4 pricing/packages would be viable if none of it's users downloaded films/music/tv/games illegally. Downloading from the internet isn't free, the ISPs have to pay for the bandwidth which gets passed on to their customers. It only appears free because you're getting several hundred other people to pay for it with their broadband subscription.

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
I wonder if the old Fast4 pricing/packages would be viable if none of it's users downloaded films/music/tv/games illegally.
I wonder if certain ISPs would still be in business if its users didn't download files "illegally".

Any ISP that found an effective way to block the download of copyright material, would start losing customers very quickly. Downloading videos, TV, games, books and movies is one of the main reasons the internet is so popular in the first place.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
exactly... with a new youtube popping up daily l wonder why we are the ones getting busted for their infringements...

in fact google video has many eps of random TV series on there, l bet they didnt pay for the rights, what about music videos? if one is clever one can strip audio from video and you have an mp3 but all these big sites are still there with no problems... they seem to hit the high profile torrent sites...

in any case on a whole ppl here could be considered avarage users.. and yes its common knowledge that the light users pay for the heavy ones or at least it is here, but outside of here who cares enough to bother worrying? and hugh you forget that you cant speak for other consumers you only speak for yourself, you cant expect users to use the internet the same way you do because:

1. a majority have no idea of the costs involved
2. unlimited means unlimited to those not in the know
3. most of those "noobs" have no idea what downloading means... (prime example would be my sister who still insists she isnt downloading even tho she spends hours a day on youtube.. you try explaining to someone whos adamant they arnt downloading because they streamed a 600meg video stream from veoh and didnt download it to their desktop)

all l can say is ISPs are at fault here, they dont inform users of what it means to "provide" and the "costs" users just want to use their connections why should they be penalised for whats there at their fingertips when they have been given the go ahead to use it? when Fast4 removed their 500gig cap they immediately said "come here and leech our bandwidth" now while they might have made a step in the right direction l feel its a little too late and way too expensive now.. my opinion is they might just be paying for their mistake, but they should have known better from the beginning because as far as lm aware they arnt novices at the game, and it would have been nicer if they had actually told the truth at points rather than hide the FUP for weeks..

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
all l can say is ISPs are at fault here, they dont inform users of what it means to "provide" and the "costs" users just want to use their connections why should they be penalised for whats there at their fingertips when they have been given the go ahead to use it? when Fast4 removed their 500gig cap they immediately said "come here and leech our bandwidth"
Announcing a 500gig cap in the first place looked a clear attempt to attract the bandwidth leechers as did all the press releases preceeding that where they announced 'double' whatever the previous allowance was.

£16 per month barely pays for a small fraction of that amount.

If a Virtual ISP had a one year contract where they were paying their supplier a fixed fee regardless of bandwidth used, which I suspect may have been the case ( See this eurisp news item from a year ago ) then even the heaviest, most costly of users would still net the Virtual ISP a profit, the only snag would be the quality of the service for all their customers would eventually suffer and their supplier would change the terms as soon as their contract permits, but being a Visp you can always change supplier.

Last edited:

alared

Casual Member
All I can say is if 60 gbs for £15-95 a month isn`t enough, then you will have to pay for more.
If ALL members downloaded that amount the service would grind to a halt.

I`m not siding with Fast4,all I`m saying is you must have FUP to do exactly what it says ----- FAIR USE.

Maybe Timeless should,now and again,spend "less time" online and occassionally disconnect to let others CONNECT.

Do you ever disconnect from the Fast4 service, Timeless?

Eezageeza

I guess this is symptomatic of all the different uses of the internet.

I would consider myself a heavy user because I use the internet almost all the time I am at home. I download videos if I have missed them on TV (usually download overnight) and use BBC iPlayer occasionally, and I play online games a lot. However, I still don't come anywhere close to 60Gb per month, so I guess on that basis I would not be considered a heavy user.

Therefore, I would have thought that most people don't come close to 60Gb per month, and this therefore creates "spare" bandwidth for other users who do use >60Gb per month. A FUP is a good idea, however, as a kind of "bottom line" - a way to stop extra-heavy users from using so much that they disrupt the service for the rest. As long as the FUP doesn't stop me using the internet as I want to, I have no problem with it, and I think that Fast4 seem to have a pretty good policy because I still consider myself a relatively heavy user.

The only thing that I have noticed with Fast4 is quite a slow-down (and high ping) between 6:30pm and 9:30pm on weekday evenings. If their FUP and moving over to Murphx is going to help resolve that then I'm all for it!

Quick question - are there the same issues for cable broadband too, or do "extra heavy" users have less of an effect on other people's service on cable?

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Cable use a different type of control to ADSL suppliers who control the customers.

With cable if I downloaded at my max for 25mins after 4pm the I would be capped down in speed not everyone on the network for 4 hours if this continues then they would contact me to request I change my downloading habits and curb this in peak time.
Capping is similar to those on 20meg will be capped down to 5meg, 4meg down to 1meg I think and 2meg customers down to less than 500k.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
All I can say is if 60 gbs for £15-95 a month isn`t enough, then you will have to pay for more.
If ALL members downloaded that amount the service would grind to a halt.

I`m not siding with Fast4,all I`m saying is you must have FUP to do exactly what it says ----- FAIR USE.

Maybe Timeless should,now and again,spend "less time" online and occassionally disconnect to let others CONNECT.

Do you ever disconnect from the Fast4 service, Timeless?
why should l? l pay the fee to connect and l accept there will be an FUP (that will not limit me to less than 10-15k at peak times.. in fact l already limit myself at these times... l do all big downloads overnight.

in any case l DONT have a TV my computer is my entertainment, lve read all the books l have lm not going to sit about and waste my money on an internet connection l dont use..

alared

Casual Member
With your sort of attitude is it any wonder Fast4 has introduced a FUP.
While your lying in bed asleep,you`re still connected downloading.

If I was dissatisfied with ANY company the way you seem to be with Fast4 -----------
I`d move on and wouldn`t use them.

The truth of the matter is,despite all the moans,you realise that Fast4,even with a 60 gig cap,is the best value you`re ever likely to get.

mc6415

Pro Member
With your sort of attitude is it any wonder Fast4 has introduced a FUP.
While your lying in bed asleep,you`re still connected downloading.

If I was dissatisfied with ANY company the way you seem to be with Fast4 -----------
I`d move on and wouldn`t use them.

The truth of the matter is,despite all the moans,you realise that Fast4,even with a 60 gig cap,is the best value you`re ever likely to get.
But when everyone is moved onto there new pacakge of £25 a month with a 30gb cap you must surely realise that this is terrible value It might be this thread I did some number crunching using an entanet reseller as an example which came out much cheaper in the long run, if you do it per 1GB there already cheaper than when fast4 were with EurISP if you go into off peak etc. so short answer no there not the best value youre ever likely to get.

alared

Casual Member
mc6415

Of course £25 a month with a 30gb cap is crap value and if you read my second paragraph,you know exactly what I would do.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2555)
  2. FTTP (2301)
  3. FTTC (1688)
  4. Building Digital UK (1628)
  5. Politics (1463)
  6. Openreach (1445)
  7. Business (1277)
  8. FTTH (1132)
  9. Statistics (1120)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1071)
  11. Fibre Optic (987)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (933)
  13. Wireless Internet (932)
  14. 4G (927)
  15. Virgin Media (876)
  16. EE (607)
  17. Sky Broadband (602)
  18. TalkTalk (588)
  19. Vodafone (543)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules