Sponsored Links

Fibre Install Problems

munkeynuts

Casual Member
Hi,

I am having a nightmare trying to get FTTC installed at my new house. I was previously with Virgin on a 1Gig connection at my old property. When I moved I checked that the house was in a Virgin area, and their website told me I was and proceeded to let me do a home move.

Fast forward to install day, Virgin ring me saying they can not service the property and they had closed my account. Now, a bit cheesed off since I work from home, I look at other providers. CityFibre also cover my area. So I place an order with Vodafone for their Gig speed service. Fast forward 2 weeks again to the day before installation and they also refuse to connect my property.

So now I'm without any connection still and normal ADSL can't be connected for another 2 weeks.

The map below shows my property with the red dot, the green is the main road with the fibre cables. There is a phone line mast in yellow, and blue is the little side road (I think private) that the property is on.

Anyone who knows anything think I'll be able to get FTTC at all, or am I destined to be on 67Mb forever?

Screenshot 2021-10-19 164954.jpg

Did either CityFibre or Virgin give you any reason why they couldn't install? I can only guess that it might be because the road / lane just outside your home could possibly be considered private (not sure if it is), which would add some complications? But it's difficult to say more without knowing the exact address.

As for FTTC, if you do an address specific check via BT Wholesale and it says you can get that.. then you probably can:

In the meantime, if you're able to get a good 4G or 5G mobile signal from one of the main operators, then that may actually give you much better speeds via an unlimited data plan.

> Anyone who knows anything think I'll be able to get FTTC at all, or am I destined to be on 67Mb forever?

I don't understand what you're saying. 67Mb is an FTTC speed, so if you get that then you're already on FTTC (fibre to the cabinet).

Cityfibre are FTTP (fibre to the premise), not FTTC.

If you can't get a good answer from Vodafone as to why they're unable to connect you, try Zen. They're on the same Cityfibre network, but may at least give you a proper reason for why you can't be connected.

Sponsored Links
Zen only offer Cityfibre based FTTP in 4 cities at present so chances are Zen won't have a scooby about why the OP can't get connected to the Cityfibre network. The OP should check here with the postcode and address, it should list the reason why the he/she can't get connected at present:

> Anyone who knows anything think I'll be able to get FTTC at all, or am I destined to be on 67Mb forever?

I don't understand what you're saying. 67Mb is an FTTC speed, so if you get that then you're already on FTTC (fibre to the cabinet).

Cityfibre are FTTP (fibre to the premise), not FTTC.

If you can't get a good answer from Vodafone as to why they're unable to connect you, try Zen. They're on the same Cityfibre network, but may at least give you a proper reason for why you can't be connected.
Sorry - I got my acronyms confused by the looks of things.

I am having to stick with FTTC with TalkTalk for now anyway since everyone refuses to connect fibre because it is too expensive....

Zen only offer Cityfibre based FTTP in 4 cities at present so chances are Zen won't have a scooby about why the OP can't get connected to the Cityfibre network. The OP should check here with the postcode and address, it should list the reason why the he/she can't get connected at present:

Okay, so CityFibre say that they can't install now as it's a private road. Virgin are saying it will cost too much.

Very frustrating.

I don't have 5g coverage with my three sim at the house either.

So looks like I'm back on FTTC - although starlink is coming in 2022, but not sure I could bring myself to fork out that for what looks like 50-200mb/s.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5513)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules