Sponsored Links

Fibre is 10 metres from my house, but "not available"

InternetOverWetString

Casual Member
Hi,

How long would you expect from the Corning fibre connecterised distribution hub going up the serving telegraph pole for FTTP to become available to the houses?

It's been several weeks now, but the Openreach and ISP availability checkers still say we're limited to Superfast.

Openreach doesn't really have any mechanism to ask this question, as it's all canned questions/answers on their website.

Sponsored Links
It’s down to when it’s commissioned. You may be lucky and it’s a few weeks, or yours may have been put up at the start of the build and it’s a few months. Just depends on when the spine is done and it all lit up.

Essentially "when it is ready"

It could be that they're building a network out to a city miles from you as the FTTP network won't go back to little tiny exchanges, nor even many medium sized ones anymore - the plan is to do away with those exchanges entirely.

There could be ducting they need to clear somewhere - all sorts of various other civil engineering things, so it could be days, weeks, months or even longer.

Sponsored Links
I'm at 4 months since the CBT was put up the pole. It's such a tease, but maybe it helps you know you're not the only one in this position.

Sponsored Links
Fibre was run to my pole in November last year and I was finally able to place an order at the start of March.
Openreach was helpful in their replies but it did take a while to get responses

Totaly agree. At busy hours you're lucky if you can get 5 mb/s. Better look for other options

Last edited:
Unbelievably, it's been almost a year since I asked this question, and still no FTTP. Openreach will not give an update on the original request, and close any new queries as being a duplicate of the one they won't update :mad:

This site shows that the exchange is capable of FTTP, and the adjacent street is able to place orders for FTTP.

Any ideas what it requires to escalate firstly the status update, and secondly the completion of the installation?

Sponsored Links
Any ideas what it requires to escalate firstly the status update, and secondly the completion of the installation?

In all honesty, I wouldn't bother, it's not worth the mental anguish or stress.

The dates and status updates, given in response to the Availability Checker Enquiry are meaningless, which I said as much above at the time.

You could lodge a complaint, as I have done, but again that's pointless. I've had/got an ongoing complaint open with the director's complaints team who give assurances and dates but the dates come around, they apologise and then we rinse and repeat the same conversation every three months.

I've placed it firmly on the back burner and simply keep the complaint open so I can update the rest of the residents on the development every few months.

In all honesty, I wouldn't bother, it's not worth the mental anguish or stress.

The dates and status updates, given in response to the Availability Checker Enquiry are meaningless, which I said as much above at the time.

You could lodge a complaint, as I have done, but again that's pointless. I've had/got an ongoing complaint open with the director's complaints team who give assurances and dates but the dates come around, they apologise and then we rinse and repeat the same conversation every three months.

I've placed it firmly on the back burner and simply keep the complaint open so I can update the rest of the residents on the development every few months.
So it sounds like moving house to a street that already has availability is the only proven route to getting Ultrafast? ;)

You could try having a look on here

This tells you if your street is planned and when they will be working on there in the next 3 months. If there is no mention then it means it will be over 3 months.

If its of any help Cityfibres roll out. They seem to do it in waves. As the street down from me got it in April 2021. I had to wait 8 months to December 2021. The street up from me is getting it installed now so likely going to be live in Around July 2022 for them. So Openreach in your area could be doing the same?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules