Sponsored Links

Fibre to the Prem and Telephone

I know I can get fibre-to-the-prem at home, as my neighbour has it, and there is a twelve core (of which most fibres are free) at the head of the pole outside my house. So: I can get fibre.

But I want a voice line as well, but I don't want to subscribe to fibre for Data and copper for voice as well. That means I will have to run VoIP over the fibre , which also means I will need an ISP that supports it.

Any suggestions about which ISPs can support VoIP, and which, if any, are any good. Also, can I port my present phone number if I move to VoIP over a fibre bearer (I am assuming the ISP will need to support SIP or something similar?)

Cheers

Jim

From what I have seen the current round of FTTP products are Voice and Data, this will utilise SIP on the ONT to carry the voice traffic and will either require an NTE (or adaptor) to be installed or will utilise VOIP via the Router.

Sponsored Links
It's worth noting here that VoIP is a common internet protocol and so all ISPs do it, even mobile operators. In fact you don't have to take a VoIP phone service from your ISP and you can instead pick from a dedicated VoIP provider. We recently wrote an article about all the different ways you can get this sort of service, as well as some of the caveats to it.

Sponsored Links
OP,
Your question isn't 100% clear. Are you asking

a) Which ISPs let you take out a VOIP service which runs alongside their FTTP service (ie also terminates at the ONT)?

or

b) Which ISPs will supply a data only FTTP service so that's you're free to use a third party VOIP service such as Vonage?

If a) then afaik its only BT Retail who sell a FVA (Fibre Voice Access) product alongside their FTTP service.

If b) then you would have to go to an ISP such as Zen for a FTTP data only service as BT do not sell FTTP data only, ie you MUST take out a voice line service whether copper of fibre based with BT FTTP. A word of warning though: don't expect a FTTP data only product to be hugely cheaper, I think Zen's FTTP data only service is just a few pounds cheaper per month versus their combined line rental + FTTP service.

OK, I could have been clearer, so what I really want (in an ideal world) is a fibre entering my property that I can use for internet access. On top of that, I want the providing ISP (or a third party, if it can be done simply and cost-effectively) to provide a service where voice traffic, converted to VoIP from an IP Phone (hard or soft) can access the standard BT telephone network. I would like to retain my existing telephone number. If necessary, I will buy a suitable CPE that provides a POTS port so I can connect my existing phones and have the CPE do the conversion to IP Telephony. So in answer to baby_frogmella above, option "a". (As I understand it, the "Tel1" and "Tel2" sockets on a standard BT ONT have not been enabled in the present FttP deployment, according to https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app...72/~/optical-network-terminator-(ont)/c/5098/ or am I wrong?)

Thanks for the advice so far, I'll have a deeper look into the suggestions

When I moved to FTTP I ported my number to sipgate - there is no monthly line rental and landline calls are 1p/min - you can have auto-topup or buy monthly call packages. I bought a cheap second hand CISCO SPA122 box so I can connect my DECT phones to my router.

Thanks OP, in that case your only option is to move to BT Retail as they are the only ones to offer a FVA service through the FTTP ONT. When the Openreach Engineer installs the ONT, he normally hardwires the FVA port to the BT master socket so that all your standard phone sockets are automatically routed via the FVA port on the ONT.

Sponsored Links
I'm using Sipgate for incoming calls and Localphone for outgoing calls. Have a couple of lines - one on a Polycom desk phone and one on a Polycom Obi ATA. As long as your ISP does not commandeer port 5060 or insist on having SIP ALG on in their supplied equipment, you can use whatever SIP provider you want. The polycom OBI ATA are more expensive (and not sure if they are still made) but they are really good - allows for some useful call routing config if you can get to grips with the regex style config.

Neither Sipgate nor Localphone have monthly fees. Sipgate allow number porting and emergency calling, Localphone do not - but they are cheaper and have some very useful features when travelling. Localphone UK lanlinca calls are 0.5p and UK mobile is 1.8p.

Thanks OP, in that case your only option is to move to BT Retail as they are the only ones to offer a FVA service through the FTTP ONT. When the Openreach Engineer installs the ONT, he normally hardwires the FVA port to the BT master socket so that all your standard phone sockets are automatically routed via the FVA port on the ONT.
FVA on the ONT in only used on new sites with no copper feeds.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules