Sponsored

Finding a new domain host and avoiding exhorbitant 123-reg renewal charges

gumb

Hi.

I've held a couple of me.uk domains for about 14 years and renewed them every two years through 123-reg.co.uk. What started off at a price of around £1.99pa per domain reached over £8pa per domain on the last renewal two years ago. Now they've sent me a notification advising that renewing them both for the next two years will cost an outrageous £47.95!

I've just turned off auto-renewal hopefully in the nick of time since they take payment seven days before renewal and they're both due on the 6th October. I need to find an alternative, reasonably priced domain host. The two domains point to hosting via PlusNet, who do DNS-only hosting without the domain registration (which at the time used to also be overpriced, hence my use of 123-reg, though I can find no details on prices on PlusNet's site any more).

I'm aware of UKReg / Fasthosts. Heard very mixed things about them over the years. They don't seem to offer the same cheap 10-year advance deal for me.uk domains like they do for co.uk domains. So as far as I can see, each domain would cost £6.99 or more excl. VAT after the first year, which isn't great. Anybody know of another host? I don't need the actual web hosting since PlusNet handle that, but I do need the ability to set the nameservers to PlusNet.

P.S. Must be over a decade since my last visit to this forum, but thanks for keeping my account active!

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
It's worth noting that the wholesale price for .UK domains (e.g. .uk, .co.uk, .org.uk and .me.uk) from Nominet (members) is £3.75 +vat per year and so the base retail price will usually not be lower than £4.5 inc. VAT per year. Plus at that price there's no profit for the hosting company, which will be looking to either increase the price or up-sell additional services to make up for any shortfall (i.e. a typical annual price is thus about £8-10).

Sadly there are masses of web hosts and domain providers, so there's no easy answer to your question, but the following website does make it easier to see what options you have.

https://www.theukdomain.uk/buy-a-domain/

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
I have a .me.uk domain with Aquiss, I have some linked to hosting others not. I pay £8 per year for my .me.uk this is not linked to hosting as it points to me free email with Aquiss.

Send an email to sales@aquiss.net I am sure they can answer any questions.

gumb

Thanks for all the responses.

I took a look at several options and that link to theukdomain.uk was particularly helpful. In the end I've transferred to LCN. On the surface they seem straightforward and honest, although there was some confusion with their communications after my stupid bank initially caused the payment to fail. Total cost for renewing both domains for two years was £21.48 including VAT, so not too steep an increase from what I paid two years ago.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2535)
  2. FTTP (2255)
  3. FTTC (1676)
  4. Building Digital UK (1616)
  5. Politics (1444)
  6. Openreach (1432)
  7. Business (1258)
  8. Statistics (1111)
  9. FTTH (1106)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1058)
  11. Fibre Optic (978)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (922)
  13. 4G (919)
  14. Wireless Internet (918)
  15. Virgin Media (870)
  16. EE (604)
  17. Sky Broadband (601)
  18. TalkTalk (586)
  19. Vodafone (534)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules