Sponsored

Firefly UK MD Shows His Utter Contempt For Customers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
I would call that fair comment in the circumstances. I very much doubt he is going to sue me for libel over such a statement.

Use of expletives and clear libel should of course be excised but the above was neither of those things. They were clearly just my feelings about the behaviour of this person.
Hi Capbermell,

That's fine, you're welcome to make comments and be angry at a provider but please do so without using personal attacks/abuse, it’s a rule of our site because we have legal responsibilities too and must be extra cautious where libel and slander could potentially become a factor.

It is up to the courts to decide how far certain remarks are acceptable, but as a free site we must protect our members from legal action as well as ourselves since we do not have the financial resources to protect everybody. That’s all, I hope you understand, if we had the resources of a newspaper it would be different :) .

Capvermell

And adults should be able to cope with vigorous adult debate and not say that its all too stressful for their nerves.

ADSLGuide (or ThinkBroadband as they now call it but no one still thinks of it) has a bad history of constantly arbitarily closing threads at the whim of forum moderators but I would hope that this forum is adult enough not to need to behave in such a capricious and interventionist manner.

The debate between myself and Firefly had ha now essentially concluded and therefore there is no justification at all for locking this thread as others may wish to comment in due course.

Capvermell

That's fine, you're welcome to make comments and be angry at a provider but please do so without using personal attacks/abuse, it’s a rule of our site because we have legal responsibilities too and must be extra cautious where libel and slander could potentially become a factor.

It is up to the courts to decide how far certain remarks are acceptable, but as a free site we must protect our members from legal action as well as ourselves since we do not have the financial resources to protect everybody. That’s all, I hope you understand, if we had the resources of a newspaper it would be different :) .
Thank you for explaining the position so clearly and eloquently Mark.

butler

ULTIMATE Member
I have just read this whole thread and I was just going to ignore it, but then thought about it again an decided to add my two-pennies worth!!

If I had received an email as was originally sent by capvermell I would not be very keen to go out of my way to resolve the situation as it was in my view pretty rude and abusive; and in my opinion they would have been far more likely to achieve a successful resolution if they had sent a polite email asking if firefly would look again at the situation!

I must admit I chuckled a couple of times when reading the reply thinking that at least it shows an individual response rather than a cut and past jobbie, but I also think that firefly would have been better advised than get in a slanging match with the user.

I find it pretty ludicrous to think that this argument has been over a sum as little as £2.80!!

I was also surprised to see the dig towards old dude for using an american spelling of a word and this made me wonder why this happened!!

Having had many conversations with differing organisations that I have been in dispute with, the one thing that has proved most successful is keeping calm and remaining polite!! (how would we react if somebody was rude and threatening to us or our colleagues? I know what my reaction would be!!)

I hope that both parties go away and ask a sensible third person to read the thread and give them an honest idea of how they have come across!!!

I hope that neither take this as a dig at them as I have no axe to grind with anybody, but it is painful to read how peeps can get so upset over such a small thing when there is so much real crap floating about in the world!!

I am not not normally one to get into xmas spirit but I feel like suggesting both parties meet in a boozer and buy each other a drink ( approx £2.80) each they could both then back off having achieved something and spend the rest of the evening getting pished and laughing about the situation.

If they cannot do this then I would give up some of my precious time and let them both buy me a drink in the CAMRA National best pub of the year (for an unprecedented third time) in Norwich in an altruistic attempt to promote reconciliation:):):)

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
I have tried to stay out of it as well but well said butler.

IMO the email to firefly was the point where it went wrong and it has snowballed since there, the user is unhappy because of something they had purchased in good faith but took it a step to far with the time scale to use it, 3 years and they was told about the changes of the terms and conditions 14 months ago then given a extension.

I think the OP should be more gratefull that Plusnet have not forced them to use the dial up account and cut the losses, if your not happy with the provider then dont use them but i think that firefly has been reasonable and they have given it a personal touch and not just auto responses which is rare now.

I do hope other people will give their unbiased opinion by reading the thread fully

FireFly

ISP Rep
I also think that firefly would have been better advised than get in a slanging match with the user.
100% agree Butler, lesson learned.

Human nature took over and it's very easy to get dragged in when there is an apparent one-sided opinion being voiced.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
as they say it takes two to tango.. and when one has two left feet its very hard to get on equal footing indeed.

FireFly

ISP Rep

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
:D not that l know of... maybe it was one of my clones

FireFly

ISP Rep
Or possibly one of mine :D

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
FFS. £2.80! Not exactly bankruptcy time is it (for either party).

The Firefly MD may well have responded arrogantly, but I'm pretty sure my response would have been a whole lot worse if I was in his shoes (which is why it's a good job I don't work on a support role!)

All of this effort really isn't worth it for the sake of £2.80! I found more than that last time I looked down the back of my sofa.

Capvermell - walk away, go to an ISP that you can be happy with - start a new thread detailing what you are looking for and there are plenty of good people on this forum who will try to help you find the right company.

Chalk this down to experience, and remember that this thread has probably already caused far more than £2.80-worth of bad publicity for FireFly.

Irritating though it not doubt is, it really isn't worth busting a gut for less than £3.

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
i got bored reading the thread, got half way down page one then jumped to 6, what have i missed?

onephat

ULTIMATE Member

Old dude

ULTIMATE Member
Also gotten is a US and not a UK English word. Are you by any chance originally from across the pond? Even your forum name suggests that.

I find it interesting to already see so many responses in the normally silent Firefly UK forum. You wouldn't by any chance all be undercover employees of Firefly would you?
That for me is the final confirmation your being totally unreasonable. I didnt notice this till butler said it. No, Im not American, Im English. Either way, i dont see what bearing that would have had. Makes me highly suspect tbh.

As for undercover employees...well, most posted in here are regulars. Check the posts, the number of posts and what we have posted about. I think your will find thats a lot of effort for some firefly agents. ;)

Some of what FF said was a little unprofessional, but thats all. It certainly wasnt uncalled for. At the end of it all, this was your first contact to them about the matter, and it was inexplicably rude.

I really dont understand the big indignation about it. Were you expecting to gain interest on the usage you banked for 3 years?

Anyway, your best off writing it off, the whole £2.80 odd. Put it down to expirence and enjoy your christmas instead of getting wound up about pointless things.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
indeed. on another note we all love you Old Dude (the forum would be a pretty lonely place without some of the regulars here :D)

Teamscoop

Casual Member
Well, having read all of this thread, I'm with Firefly's MD. The initial e-mail was just plain rude and as a Customer Services Manager in a large company, I get this sort of bullying approach regularly. The first approach should have been a polite enquiry and, I would guess, expression of surprise at this development (that is, of course, that it really was news to you and that you are not just frustrated at having forgotten the notification.........).
I think that a reminder from Firefly in the ensuing period perhaps might have been a good idea though.
All in all I think Firefly are well rid of such an angry person. Good service is a passion for me, it is my career after all, but one does wonder why this chap is just sooooo angry.

P.S. I'm with Firefly myself but this does not change my opinion but I'm guessing I shall be branded as an 'insider' or biased. :shrug:

Happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year to everybody even Julian ;)

ukwoody

I have only just seen this thread, which is unusal for me, as although not a regular poster I do lurk away!

I will say from the start that I am a Firefly customer and have been for a few years now. After reading this thread fully, I felt it only fair to respond with the other side of the coin.

*Personally* speaking, I have generally found Derek and his team to be more then fair and open. I too have had minor disagreements over the time (and lets be honest who hasn't at some point) and I will say, Derek can at times perhaps be a bit defensive and sharp - especially when being personally verbally attacked. But I think that is more his natural Scottish human reaction then anything else and lets be fair, would we react any differently?

I have had a rough 12 months, with an ill partner, very low income,an employee to pay and my van which earns me money off the road for 4 weeks leading upto Christmas.

Derek found out about this thru various means. I will not go into this publically (But will supply confidential examples to Mark if requested) but I cannot overstate how kind He and his fellow directors have been, without being asked.

Whilst probably feeling it was a bit pathetic for £2.80, I have no doubts at all, that if he had of been asked nicely, an arrangement would have been made to placate the OP. Instead, he receives a rude e-mail that is plastered over the net.
One more point, have any of you actually looked at the attitude of the OP?
He has attacked very strongly,rudely, and unprovoked, This board, Think BB, 3 people who have responded, Ofcom and others in fact anyone that queeries his comments (I'm sure I'll be next). I also note that despite slagging off Think BB, he has posted the same things over there.
I'm sorry, but to me that is someone who basks in his own glory seeking sympathy from one and all without excepting any responsibility whatsoever for his own actions.

I run two accounts now with FF, and have recommended them to several others who have joined them. Yes they have faults, but they are FAR FAR better then MANY MANY others. (and now offer 480MB of offpeak allowence following frank discussions on their forums.)

Woody

moogyb

I'm another firefly customer and I have to say the customer service I've had from them as been above and beyond what I'd expect from an ISP. I've even had Derek himself call me after noticing I'd called the helpine after hours with a problem!

They are honest and if you are friendly and polite you will get the same in return. As they say do unto others as you would have others do unto you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Onestream £22.99 (*34.99)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2513)
  2. FTTP (2208)
  3. FTTC (1660)
  4. Building Digital UK (1607)
  5. Politics (1429)
  6. Openreach (1419)
  7. Business (1240)
  8. Statistics (1100)
  9. FTTH (1077)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1040)
  11. Fibre Optic (970)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (916)
  13. Wireless Internet (910)
  14. 4G (901)
  15. Virgin Media (859)
  16. Sky Broadband (596)
  17. EE (592)
  18. TalkTalk (581)
  19. Vodafone (520)
  20. Security (413)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules