Sponsored Links

firefox update annoyance

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
really not happy with the latest update, many of my addons have pretty much been disabled and have had to spend ages looking for something that would work in their place. worst being that some of the highest rated ones still arent (currently) supported like tab mix plus, Noscript and classic theme restorer.

which brings me to my question, has anyone worked out how to change the location of the tabs? lve always had them below my address/bookmarks bars, really dont like them above it.

The warning that 57.0 would break a lot of addons was advertised well in advance; apparently there is an option to re-eneable "Legacy" addons hidden away in the config files if you are really desperate.

NS was supposed to have a new version ready for the 57.0 launch, but the dev has held it back for further testing; hopefully it will be out in the next few days - assuming he hasnt already released it since I checked last.

I'm really happy with Firefox 57, the new Quantum code has made is so.. much faster! The old Firefox branch was falling way behind Opera, Chrome and Edge for performance but this one seems to at least level the playing field and give them back a lead in many areas. The fact that it uses less ram is also good for my tablet.

The downside, as timeless highlights, is that a lot of add-ons have been broken by the update. Luckily none of mine were but then I don't have a lot of background add-ons to worry about in the first place :) .

I hope 57 encourages people to move away from Chrome as Google, like Microsoft before it, had too much control over the front-end browsing market.

Sponsored Links
the ones that lve currently lost that bother me the most are Noscript (thankfully this is in the works), Classic theme restorer (tho ld be happy if l just had the ability to move the tabs from their current location to where l prefer them), Tab Mix Plus, flashgot and if there was an addon that worked like Save Images did, currently l found a addon that saves time but l wish l could just save tabs rather than one image at a time. you would have thought Mozilla would have at least let their highest rated addons be ready for the new update before they released, either way the main thing lm happy about is it runs much faster than it used to.

l did see that there was a way to change tab locations but ld prefer it if l didnt have to edit CSS code which will likely revert each update.

There are a number I am biting my nails over, like FlagFox; I could live without FoxClocks easily enough, but FlagFox has so many useful tools, I would almost be as lost as I would if NoScript vanished forever.

I haven't risked going beyond 50.0 - I doubt if I'd get anything later to accept Tab Killer, that's been officially dead for years, and I really hate tabbed browsing.

P.S.
Can't stand the new AdBlockPlus 3 either. I realise it's probably not be the developer's fault, it looks as if he's struggling to cope with the Mozilla Mafia ("This is *my* browser and you're not playing with it") and hopes to improve it in due course, but I accidentally updated without reading the release notes, which at a quick glance seem to basically say "I'm sorry this one's a pile of poo", and promptly ditched it, went back to 2.8.2.

Sponsored Links
Sadly, as long as many freebie software companies offer it as part of their download, it is going to have a big market; after all, that is how Chrome got so big in the first place.

Most people never realised what they had done, and just thought it was a new layout for Internet Explorer!!!!

finally got noscript back, hopefully it works just as well as it used to, because while the alternative (Umatrix) l was using worked well it was much more annoying to control than noscript was.

The dev did say some functionality would be missing to start with; but he was working on it.

FlagFox is still down, so I may hold off another week or two in the hope he can overcome illness and get a new version out the door.
The Dev there is having a rant at Mozilla for making it almost impossible to post news about updates through the addons page; no wonder so many arent bothering, so us poor slobs wont know if an update to our loved addons is ever going to happen - until either it does, or we give up and download something else.

I dislike how firefox has removed all my saved tabs and I can no longer have as many so sites I need to visit regularly are no longer 1 click away.
More space wasted on the highlights I don't want or need now only two rows of top sites.

Sponsored Links
never used that feature myself, my main issue tho is noscript still needs work as lm unable to add stuff to the list.. not to mention l cant use the block-adblock addon any more :/

Ignoring the fact that this is an old thread, Waterfox seems to be just like Firefox's ESR release but with slower security updates. Otherwise with a few settings changes you can more or less do the same in ESR.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules