Sponsored Links

Forum Access

fatJock

Hmmm .... this is getting beyond a joke now. Guests cannot even view the official SM forums.

So, if propspective customers want to do their research they can't. Before I choose any ISP I check out their forums to see if they are getting much negative feedback. I have been doing this so far with the SM ADSL forum.

Now I find I have to log-in to even get read only. What's the problem? It's members only seemingly so .... until you buy a subscription you cannot view the forums.

And SM complain when folk post anything negative here ........ looks like I might be going elsewhere.

They are not the only ones Fatjock I have noticed others that I didn't have to log into just to read that I now have to log in. Perhaps it was due to remarks posted by some. I think you will find Tiscali's forums will come back the same after being reported for a memeber posting racist remarks.

Until people can remember to follow rules this will not turn back to the free access forums. The risk is to high for the forum owners. Some ISPs have removed the forums altogether with no intentions of putting them back up.

Last edited:
Kitty

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of your post, SM have been fairly hot on getting any criticism moderated on public forums such as ISPReview.

Unfortunately, without a true reflection of end user issues and fault resolutions I think I'll be going elsewhere.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
fatJock said:
Kitty

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of your post, SM have been fairly hot on getting any criticism moderated on public forums such as ISPReview.
Silvermead cannot get any criticism moderated on here all the edits was for abusive remarks to other forum users. Nothing that criticised Silvermead for the slow speeds etc have been moved. All we moderate is the abuse, offensive remarks to other forum users/members.

The forum rules are explicit on that. You can criticise a service without being offensive to the owner, customers, moderators or other forum users. There are always two sides to a discussion. Both are entitled to be posted without abuse or the post being flamed.

Our forums are for members only, so you do need to register / login to use them.

We have now replaced all the links on our site so that it is a resource that is easier to find and more useful for our members.

ISP Review is a great resource for comparing and discussing ISP's prior to joining, and I'm sure you'll get fair feedback on our ADSL range from members here.

Last edited:
Silvermead said:
Our forums are for members only, so you do need to register / login to use them.

I have registered, my forum account has not been approved. I think the use of the word "members" above needs to be clarified and ideally replaced by the phrase "paying subscribers" - is that not the case Silvermead?

It seems that I an unable to have forum access until I buy a product - that is the issue. Add to that the fact that my exchange is in build phase so I cannot yet buy ADSL. There may be things I want to discuss with SM or SM users directly in a non-public forum.

Silvermead said:
We have now replaced all the links on our site so that it is a resource that is easier to find and more useful for our members.

I know the direct link anyway .... not really sure who that comment was aimed at :confused:

Silvermead said:
ISP Review is a great resource for comparing and discussing ISP's prior to joining, and I'm sure you'll get fair feedback on our ADSL range from members here.

Erm ..... I have tried and to date have only had feedback from an ISPReview Moderator or people directly associated with ISPReview. When I had guest [read only] access to your forums there were folk there who do not come here - similarly, there were questions I would have liked to have asked them on particular threads but could not.

I just think it's a shame .... and on the balance of things, something that will go against SM when I do make my choice of provider.

Last edited:
The direct link issue was made by someone else a while back - so not aimed at you.

You do make a good point - we'll think about how to tackle that one so that everyone has access to the bits they need, when they need them.

Sponsored Links
Silvermead said:
You do make a good point - we'll think about how to tackle that one so that everyone has access to the bits they need, when they need them.

So ..... in the meantime I just discount SM from the running or am I going to be given at least read only access?

I fail to understand the logic of removing guest access as it was not allowed to post .... other than being able to see some of your mods slagging off another Sat ISP it was in the main an uninspiring read.

I hardly think it is unfair to be able to see user comments before committing to a contract.

Last edited:
well you can discount fast 24 aswell fatjock as they are customers only all old members who are not customers have no access. Along with other forums its getting harder to access ISPs forums unless you are a customer.

Not a lot I can say or do if you want anything asking on silvermead's forums please PM me and I will see what I can do and send you the answers.

Hmmm .... ant then ISP's wonder why they get slated on public forums or Usenet ..... [comment not directed at SM].

Anyway, I have a workaround provided by SM so thanks for the help :D

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5505)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2534)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2258)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1969)
  9. Statistics (1786)
  10. 4G (1661)
  11. Virgin Media (1615)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1457)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1388)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules