Sponsored Links

Fraudulent "Microsoft" Phone Calls

Bob2002

ULTIMATE Member
Just had a couple of calls from an Indian(?) call centre claiming to be from Microsoft and stating there was something wrong with my computer(I run OS X not Windows). I'm assuming it was this - link. I'd have thought these kind of organisations would have been prosecuted by now ... :mad:

I've had quite a few calls like that from an Indian spoken gentleman.
I just say that I don't have a computer and they immediately hang up.

I've had quite a few calls like that from an Indian spoken gentleman.
I just say that I don't have a computer and they immediately hang up.

What gets me is their utter cheek, it's blatant fraud and they don't give two hoots.

Sponsored Links
That's the downside of VoIP and the ability to make cheap international calls. It makes such frauds profitable to attempt, which means that some people will be falling for it. Prior to this the cost of commissioning such a fraud would have been too high for an attempt.

I have had a few of these they try to make you allow them access to your computer, even threatened me with stoppping my internet until I allowed them... :D Well the challenge was raised I said go ahead then block my internet ... still waiting some 9 months later.. mind they not phoned since so presume they removed me from their list.

I get quite a few of these calls, even though I'm signed up with that BT scheme whereby you can opt-out of sales calls and the like.

I'm not too concerned, mind, as they can be lots of fun. If I don't have the time to deal with them, or if I'm not in the mood, I simply tell them - in no uncertain terms - to, erm, "go away", though as you can imagine that's not the real way I put it to them.

If I've got a bit of time to spare, I sit back and play them like a hooked fish. My record, so far, is keeping one of them on-line for 14 minutes. It's often very difficult to keep from laughing when they get very upset because you're "not listening" to their instructions properly. I've had them actually SHOUTING at me when they realise that I haven't been looking at/selecting/accessing whatever they've been telling me to do. Naturally, when I feel they've had enough I usually tell them what I think of them until they hang up in disgust. Great fun!

And why are they always called Donald, Simon, John, Mary, Samuel, Diane, Frederick, and Alexander? Heh!

Sponsored Links
When they start talking about Windows, just respond with "Oh, double glazing. Why didn't you say so? I have a broken catch on the bedroom window, how much will it cost to repair?"
For some reason, they tend to get very upset and hang up :D

Probably the best way to respond to any type of scammer or spam call.......
[video=youtube;-7OgWcwgB50]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50[/video]

lol.... had dozens of calls like this one. russian, indian, asian... you name it. but honestly, i find these calls quite amusing. i let them do the talking while i wonder how people can actually believe such nonsense. heard quite some fancy names: PC Wizard, PC optimizer, Clean your PC.... etc.... http://www.tellows.co.uk/num/02030515753 that's only one number of many more.... and TPS can't make them stop. best would be to outright ignore any unknown call but this sounds easier than it actually is....

good luck

Sponsored Links
I think it's died down now, but some one tried this with my mum who is actually lives in Sri Lanka but have a UK number through skype.

Good thing she called me before she let the guy to connected to the computer. I think they target old people in hope of they can scam them.

some of this call centres operate from Sri Lanka as well (they have similar Indian accent can't tell )

Videos like that just make you want to hurt the scammers.. a lot :) . Sad that some people still fall for things like that.

Speaking of which, since I swapped from EON to nPower for my energy needs I keep getting cold calls from somebody in India or Sri Lanka asking me to switch supplier. The approach always sounds fraudulent and unprofessional so as usual I just put the phone down.

l remember answering the phone at a friends house to one of these scammers.. the call went something like this "hi, we have detected a problem with your computer so we are following up, could you please turn it on and we will help you fix it"

l pretended to agree of course, and about a minute later l was like "oh my god your right, someones installed linux instead of windows, when did this happen", didnt take more than a few seconds before the phone went down on me, however in my defence last time l visited my mate it had windows XP on it.. so l was surprised when l switched it on that is had Fedora on it, tho it was pretty funny that l had just arrived at my mates and was already turning it on to check my emails.. the only reason l answered the phone was because he asked me to as he was indisposed at the time.. we still joke about it now :D.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules