Sponsored Links

FREE ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE - User Reviews

So what would people recommend for FREE antivirus software.. many friends are using AVG but the free version will end next month for good so its time to find something to replace it.

I know of Avast but that software can cause a nightmare at uninstalling if you decide to put on something like Panda at a later date as it seems to leave bits behind and prevents Panda and others installing.

So..

Avast
Kasperspy

anymore ?

What about the free version of AVG 7.5 http://free.grisoft.com/doc/avg-anti-virus-free/lng/us/tpl/v5

Although as I've previously mentioned http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php?t=22116 AVG doesn't detect exploits as they are downloaded by your browser, only when they are written to disk, when it is too late.

AOL are giving away an AV based on Kaspersky no less (AOL Anti virus shield) and you don't have to be an AOL user. Haven't tried it so I've no idea if it is ok. Edit: apparently it installs AOL's search bar in Internet Explorer, although you can uninstall it afterwards and you'll need a www.spamgourmet.com or other disposible address to register it with.

As for paid for AV most people seem to recommend Nod32. The other one I would consider is Kaspersky, Kaspersky is supposed to have the best signature files but is more demanding on the PC. Nod32 I'm told is virtually as effective but puts a much lighter load on the PC.

Last edited:
What about AVG 7.5
Yes, indeed, it's only 7.1 that's dying - what's wrong with the free version of 7.5?

On thing I like is that it's still happy with old operating systems, an advantage that AVG have over some others that insist you go and buy XP to use their product. I'm running Windows ME and Linux, installed it on Windows (edit - just checked Linux and realised that's still 7.1), no problems, and I updated a friend's W98SE machine for her, again no problems.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
AVG Free 7.5+ for me too, not on my main system though.

Something to keep in mind is that many of these have problems running under certain Windows Vista situations, even those (e.g. AVG) claiming to support Vista have caused me issues on two test setups. It's best to wait until service pack 1 before investing in Vista anyway, but for those that don't they should be mindful of this.

Commercial wise and I've gone with Esat's NOD32, its only drawback being that you have to be a more competent PC user to operate it. This is perhaps more the techys choice and I haven't looked back :) .

Something to keep in mind is that many of these have problems running under certain Windows Vista situations, even those (e.g. AVG) claiming to support Vista have caused me issues on two test setups. It's best to wait until service pack 1 before investing in Vista anyway, but for those that don't they should be mindful of this.

I am using the paid version on Vista Ultimate X64 - working perfectly.
Same as the free version running on my laptop (Vista Business x86).

What happens with you?

Tom - www.mouselike.org

Sponsored Links
I am using the paid version on Vista Ultimate X64 - working perfectly.
Same as the free version running on my laptop (Vista Business x86).

What happens with you?

Various things Tom; placed on a clean system AVG Free will usually install and run fine, but in two out of four separate installs I have not been able to remove it using the new Add/Remove Programs list. In one case it started to uninstall, then stopped half way through with an error and instead of reversing it left bits active causing errors.

The most frequent issue has been that Vista will not load it properly during boot, sometimes it will "appear" to have loaded correctly, but will not actually be protecting your system as the monitor component won't have loaded. Other times it will just give out errors and generally fail to load until you activate it manually.

Going by some forums I'm not alone, but hopefully these issues will get ironed out in time for the retail Vista release, when I'll give it another bash.

I think Avast is much better than AVG. In various tests that have been done, AVG seems to be slipping.

I've found that this doesn't like certain specific network environments and is unable to detect the Internet connection (Proxy based as opposed to router etc.). I'm not too keen on its interface either, but otherwise it's good.

UPDATE: Whoops.. I was thinking of 'AntiVir' and not Avast.

Last edited:
I think Avast is much better than AVG. In various tests that have been done, AVG seems to be slipping.

I had Avast on my PC for a while (and one or two family PCs).

Whilst I have no doubt it does a good job in virus detection, it also slowed down several PC's far too much (admittedly, they were'nt exactly the latest and fastest kit, but AVG works fine on them without crippling them).

thats why l use only AVG... ld rather sacrifice a small amount of protection ofr better system resources, and make up for it with a well installed array of spyware and trogen removers..

Sponsored Links
To be honest i dont have AVG so i didnt see the fact that you just need to upgrade to 7.5 and get it free...

Anyway i got a few people to try AntiVir Antivirus as its had good reviews.. It found things even AVG didn't which was a suprise. Also doesnt hog any system resources.

I used Avast for years with no trouble then i decided that it was not the best out there so switched to Avira . Had loads of trouble downloading updates, went back to Avast. Used Avast for 2 more years then decided it was not the best, downloaded AOL active virus shield (Kaspersky) , got regular freezes on the comp using this. Im back with Avast and staying with it , the best free Antivirus out there , i should know.

Sponsored Links
The free anti-virus software, AOL Active Virus Shield, was developed in partnership with Kaspersky Lab, a well-respected Russian antivirus software maker.

It is reviewed by CNET at
http://news.com.com/AOL+offers+free+antivirus+software/2100-7355_3-6102917.html

AOL Active Virus Shield can be downloaded free at
http://www.activevirusshield.com

BTW.
Free version of AVG do not expire. However, the trial version does.
There are also free online scans provided by Panda, Symantec, McAfee, F-Secure and Trend Micro.

Some of them scan for spyware also. Symantec also gives your PC, a security check.

And don't forget to install a Firewall such as the Zone Alarm Pro. There is also spyware and other stuff in the free trial version. Firewall continue to work even after the trial period expire.
http://www.zonelabs.com

If you are using XP turn of the Microsoft Firewall first. Using more than one firewall can cause conflicts. But okay to use firewall built into the router.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules